PDA

View Full Version : wood ID

alex carey
02-02-2010, 8:12 PM
Landlord is cutting down a tree on another of his properties and offered it to me if I want it. Pretty sure its some type of olive. Not sure which type of olive it is. If you have a picture of the grain that would be nice as well. I'd like to know how nice it is.

Basically I want to know whether I should grab a few pieces or take as much as I can.

Thanks

Bill Bolen
02-02-2010, 8:16 PM
Sight unseen the best advice is ALWAYS take as much as you can...Bill.. :-)

David Christopher
02-02-2010, 8:18 PM
Bill has give you great advice

alex carey
02-02-2010, 8:31 PM
well there is an entire tree there and I only have so much room in my basement. To get room I'd have to get rid of some other stuff. Is it worth it?

David Christopher
02-02-2010, 8:43 PM
what kind of other stuff would you need to get rid of

alex carey
02-02-2010, 8:50 PM
Juniper, Eastern White Cedar, Carob, Eucalyptus, Elm, wee bit of purple heart, and an unknown which I like a lot.

70% of this is cedar and juniper.

basement is pretty full.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=126447&d=1251425225

David Christopher
02-02-2010, 9:01 PM
Alex, I would add to but not get rid of

charlie knighton
02-02-2010, 9:02 PM
if not olive, then and if this tree has acorns it may be willow oak; another possibility is california bay laurel

if it is oak, if it starts checking within a couple days....

David E Keller
02-02-2010, 9:20 PM
If it's olive or laurel, i'd dispense of some cedar and juniper only if necessary. Olive wood has a beautiful grain and a nice smell when turning. The laurel I've seen has been very pretty as well, but I've never turned it.

Take all you can get... I looked at the photo of the shop, and it appears there is a clear walking path from the stairs to the camera. I'd gladly step over pretty wood if needed on the way to my lathe.

alex carey
02-03-2010, 12:32 AM
actually the lathe is in the garage, thats the basement, the basement picture is about a year old and its actually more packed than that, just didn't have a recent picture.

Dan Forman
02-03-2010, 5:53 AM
Olive is gorgeous wood that smells great. That tree is going to have some dynamite figure with that convoluted trunk. If olive, I'd keep it and get rid of some other stuff if need be.

By the way, you can put a lot more wood in that basement if you just stack it instead of having all those compartments. Too much air space. :D

Here's a link to some olive wood...http://www.bethlehemolivewood.net/products.htm

I'd buy some 3x3x10 spindle blanks from you for peppermills if you would have too much to keep.

Dan

Bernie Weishapl
02-03-2010, 11:56 AM
Alex I would take as much of the big stuff as I could especially if it is olivewood. Stuff turns great and smells great. I would find someplace to put it if it were me.

alex carey
02-03-2010, 8:28 PM
didn't actually get cut down today but I did cut off a branch just to see the inside and it smelled like olive, still not sure what kind it is. The branch I cut had some rot in it though which was quite disheartening.

Eric Kosanovich
02-03-2010, 8:40 PM
i know what that is it's a giant rotadendrum bush.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3508/3712470411_769f641769.jpg

Jeff Nicol
02-04-2010, 5:49 AM
Landlord is cutting down a tree on another of his properties and offered it to me if I want it. Pretty sure its some type of olive. Not sure which type of olive it is. If you have a picture of the grain that would be nice as well. I'd like to know how nice it is.

Basically I want to know whether I should grab a few pieces or take as much as I can.

Thanks
Either European, manzanilla, or a few others. Lots of varieties grow in California

Jeff

Fred Perreault
02-04-2010, 9:50 AM

Thanks
The leaves look very much like the rhododendron family. They grow very large, but I am not sure if as large as your picture.