PDA

View Full Version : Small Red Oak Bowl and First Vase

Baxter Smith
02-02-2010, 8:10 PM
These are a couple of small pieces I turned yesterday.

The first is a small red oak bowl. After turning a couple of white oak pieces and finding them “difficult”:), I wanted to compare it to red. Went looking for a piece but all my red 3x5 pieces or thereabouts had the pith going through them and had cracked badly. Found what had been part of a 2x8 in my oak scrap pile that I thought I could get a small bowl out of.
I had saved this part of a foot long section because of the hole in it. :)
It had been used as a cross brace when I raised the first bent of my house. Had drilled a hole on either end of the bent about 12 feet up. Then drove in a white oak peg that stuck out a little over foot. Two 16 ft 2x8’s with holes in the ends were then put over the peg and held the bent upright while the boom truck picked up the second bent. The rest of the piece later became one of my rafters.

Turning this seemed to be about halfway between the whiteoak I had used and the green maple, apple, birch, plum and cedar I have done. I found it very turnable!
Thanks for the earlier suggestions on cutting a groove and using dowels to hold it, along with wrapping the wire 1/3 of the way around to get a more even burn. It worked well. As I was sanding the bowl and thinking about going to find some dowels to hold my wire, I remembered those two pieces of dowel held together by a wire that came with my lathe stuff. Never knew what they were for, but kept them thinking I might one day figure it out! :) I do have some guitar strings as well since my son seems to be always changing his on one guitar or another.
The look of turned oak is growing on me!
4 3/4 x 1 1/4 x 5/16 Finished with Antique Oil
I needed some more inspiration in the afternoon so thought I would try a vase or at least some endgrain. The birch had seemed soft so thought that might be a good place to start. Rounded up a section between centers and slightly concaved an end. Then attached it to a faceplate with 6 2” screws. I had watched a Utube video on turning a vase but couldn’t get the spindle gouge to drill the depth hole in the center. The hollowing tools I have seemed to work well. I could ask lots of questions but I will limit myself to two. Any suggestions for a basic vase or hollowing DVD? Nothing fancy. Sort of along the lines of the Bill Grumbine DVD’s I have. The wall thickness is ¼ inch more or less all the way around. Any reason to go thinner other than to say you did? I left what I thought was a sort of large opening so I could watch what the cutters were doing inside. That concept disappeared in a hurry! :)
5 x 2 3/4 x 1/4 (except for the rim- had to sand out some catches:D) finished with Antique oil

Must say it was rather fun/exciting to turn in the dark. Don’t remember how many times I shut the lathe off to check the thickness but it was quite a few. I would change some things about the shape but that thought always came after I had removed some wood, either inside or out.

All comments and suggestions are appreciated!

Roland Martin
02-02-2010, 9:09 PM
Nice work Baxter. The red oak bowl has a nice shape & the burn gives it a nice detail, something I'd like to try soon. Having never turned a vase or hollow form yet, I'm very impressed at how well it turned out. Great looking birch & the form looks awesome. I'd be happy if my first vase came out half as good as what you did.

Bernie Weishapl
02-02-2010, 9:13 PM
Baxter both those are beauties. I like the simple form and burn line in the bowl. Wish my first HF look as good as yours.

David E Keller
02-02-2010, 9:15 PM
Nice work on both pieces. I really think you nailed the form on each piece. Keep up the good work. I'm forced to turn vicariously through you and others until the weather cooperates.

John Keeton
02-02-2010, 9:57 PM
Baxter, you are a turning machine!!! Great job on both pieces. I enjoyed turning the red oak, and it is interesting that you felt it turned easier than the white oak. I have a 2" slab of WO that I want to do something with, but sounds like I may wait on that!;)

The vase is really neat! Good use of some of that spalted birch. Good form, and a good first. I haven't tried one yet, but need to do one soon. You are upping the anty on me!!:D

Allen Neighbors
02-02-2010, 10:23 PM
Baxter, you are doing so well!! The bowl's a gem, and so is the vase. Well done on both. Burn line just sets off the bowl!
My first vase lived on for a while, helping the ph in my garden (as ashes).
Hint: Bicycle brake and shifter cables work good for burn lines... also some small wire they sell in hardware stores on spools like thread -labeled as "picture wire".
Different sized wires make different sized burnlines.

Michael Jasani
02-02-2010, 11:25 PM
I love the simple form of the bowl and the burn lines definetly enhances its beauty. You have allowed the spalting to display perfectly in the form you gave the vase and gave it its due prominence. Great job.

Brian Effinger
02-02-2010, 11:44 PM
Beautiful pieces Baxter. I too like the burned line in the oak bowl. I think it really sets it off.
Keep up the good work. :)

Baxter Smith
02-03-2010, 9:01 AM
Nice work Baxter. The red oak bowl has a nice shape & the burn gives it a nice detail, something I'd like to try soon.
Thanks Roland. The burn detail was quite easy. Once I knew how to do it!:D Adds something to a plain piece I think.

Baxter both those are beauties. I like the simple form and burn line in the bowl. Wish my first HF look as good as yours.
Thanks Bernie.

Nice work on both pieces. I really think you nailed the form on each piece. Keep up the good work. I'm forced to turn vicariously through you and others until the weather cooperates.
Thanks David. I put in a direct vent propane heater last fall. Keeps the shop at 45 when I'm not working and I turn it up to 60 when I am. First winter with something other than a small portable kerosene heater. What luxury!

Baxter, you are a turning machine!!! Great job on both pieces. I enjoyed turning the red oak, and it is interesting that you felt it turned easier than the white oak. I have a 2" slab of WO that I want to do something with, but sounds like I may wait on that!;)
Go for it John! When something gets into my head I just have to try it. It obviously is in yours!:D Maybe it was just that piece of oak. Lots of minerals in the heartwood. Will have to try a piece from a different tree.

The vase is really neat! Good use of some of that spalted birch. Good form, and a good first. I haven't tried one yet, but need to do one soon. You are upping the anty on me!!:D
Wait till you see my next one!:D

Baxter, you are doing so well!! The bowl's a gem, and so is the vase. Well done on both. Burn line just sets off the bowl!
My first vase lived on for a while, helping the ph in my garden (as ashes).
Hint: Bicycle brake and shifter cables work good for burn lines... also some small wire they sell in hardware stores on spools like thread -labeled as "picture wire".
Different sized wires make different sized burnlines.
Funny you should mention the different sized wire. Maybe you were thinking the same thing I was. As soon as the line started to burn I thought, thats too big/wide for this bowl!:eek: I will be making a couple of different size wire holders today.:)

I love the simple form of the bowl and the burn lines definetly enhances its beauty. You have allowed the spalting to display perfectly in the form you gave the vase and gave it its due prominence. Great job.
Thanks Michael. The birch was pretty bland other than that one spot. The shape of the form and the spalting was pretty much of an accidental match!:)

Beautiful pieces Baxter. I too like the burned line in the oak bowl. I think it really sets it off.
Keep up the good work. :)
Thanks Brian.

charlie knighton
02-03-2010, 9:09 AM
well done, very nice pieces

Don Orr
02-03-2010, 10:52 AM
Really nice pieces ! I like Oak as well. Excellent Vase.

Rob Cunningham
02-03-2010, 1:05 PM
Both pieces are nice. The burn line on the oak is a nice detail.