PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on stanley replacement irons?

Dave Westover
02-02-2010, 7:20 PM
I need several irons for some planes Im restoring and Im not ready to invest in hock or other quality replacements yet. Anyone care to render their opinions on new replacement irons from stanley, such as this:
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/stanley2-38ironfor04-1205-126and7benchplanes.aspx

Any other inexpensive options for replacement irons is welcome.

James Scheffler
02-02-2010, 7:58 PM
I need several irons for some planes Im restoring and Im not ready to invest in hock or other quality replacements yet. Anyone care to render their opinions on new replacement irons from stanley, such as this:
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/stanley2-38ironfor04-1205-126and7benchplanes.aspx

Any other inexpensive options for replacement irons is welcome.

The current Stanley blades will take a sharp edge but not hold it for long. They get dull so quickly that it's annoying.

Maybe check e-bay for old ones?

Tools for Working Wood has the Hock blades for a little less than what some other sites charge.

Jim

Joel Goodman
02-02-2010, 8:37 PM
Another option that TWW has is the Ray Isles Carbon blades which are really easy to flatten -- see Joel's explanation -- and hold an edge well. They are thicker than the Hock however and I had to open the mouth of my jointer a bit to use it. An auger file worked well for me for this. I figured that if I was putting in a thicker iron why not go for a really thicker iron. They are in the same price range as the Hock irons at $37 for a number 4 iron.

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=toolshop&Product_Code=MS-RIIRON.XX&Category_Code=TR

Otherwise avoid the new Stanley's and look for a sweetheart era iron. I would contact Sandy Moss, Walt at Brass City, or Patrick Leach to see about a vintage iron. Much less hassle than ebay.

Maurice Ungaro
02-02-2010, 8:46 PM
Dave,
I know that the Hock and Lee Valley blades are 300% the price of the Stanley irons.....but when you consider $12 vs. $36, there really isn't much to cry about. The minute you start planing with one of the better irons, you'll fall in love with it, and realize that the $12 iron would have been a waste of resources.

Just my experience.

jerry nazard
02-02-2010, 9:13 PM
I sharpened a new Stanley iron a year or so ago. Wow, they sharpen so quickly...

(Thud) (Ouch!) (Drumroll....)

...and dull so rapidly. Not worth $12.

Mike Henderson
02-02-2010, 10:16 PM
I've used the Hock, LV and LN blades and they all performed about the same. They're all good blades and I'd recommend them above a modern Stanley blade.

A good blade will last essentially the life of the plane (unless abused) so it's not much on a yearly basis.

Mike

Dave Westover
02-02-2010, 10:32 PM
Thanks for all the input folks. Im glad I asked before I bought the stanleys. Ill loosen the wallet and go with hock or LN.

David Gendron
02-02-2010, 11:09 PM
there is also Clifton irons that are supposed to be great, you can find them at TFWW as well!

Joel Goodman
02-03-2010, 12:54 AM
But they are pricey!

Carl Maeda-San Diego
02-03-2010, 3:09 AM
The old stanley irons that use laminated steel hold an edge really well.
I have one and initially thought Stanley made good stuff. But after I bought a modern stanley block plane, I will never buy another stanley plane.

Brian Ashton
02-03-2010, 3:13 AM
But they are pricey!

Pricey! an extra $30 for a good blade made by a very reputable company such as Lee Valley, Hock, or Lie Nielsen is not pricey in this day and age. A bottle of Gin costs more than that!

Mike Henderson
02-03-2010, 11:20 AM
Pricey! an extra $30 for a good blade made by a very reputable company such as Lee Valley, Hock, or Lie Nielsen is not pricey in this day and age. A bottle of Gin costs more than that!
I think maybe he was referring to the Clifton irons which are about $80. An equivalent LN iron would be about $40.

Mike

Zach England
02-03-2010, 11:59 AM
I think my Hock iron keeps and edge longer than LN. Just my limited experience.

Why are the Clifton blades so much more? Their planes are about on par with LN.