View Full Version : Bandsaw Guides

John King
02-02-2010, 7:08 PM
Do you have a bandsaw?

If yes, what is your choice for guides?

Why?

Michael Gibbons
02-02-2010, 9:26 PM
Delta 14". I use Cool Blocks. Don't have any problem with them but may check out the Carter roller guide system.

Ray Bell
02-02-2010, 9:29 PM
John,

I have a Delta 14" er. I just recently bought and installed the Carter bearing upgrade kit for this from Creeker Van Huskey. It made a world of difference. It follows the lines much better now without forcing the cut. Just for the heck of it I made several scroll saw type, tight corner cuts, and it went through like butter. So, that is my choice, and the reason why.

Ray

Steve Vaughan
02-02-2010, 10:25 PM
I've got the delta 14". Last summer, I upgraded to a riser block, the carter bearings, and the carter tires (those blue ones) and new upper and lower wheel bearings. I also added that single bearing by Carter (can't remember the exact name for it) that you put in the upper guide and is used for the 1/8" size blades. It all works like a charm, very glad I did the upgrade.

Tom Wilson66
02-02-2010, 10:30 PM
The blade guides that came with my Jet 14" bandsaw were some kind of plastic that melted about the third time I used it:(. Replaced them with some hard maple I cut on the table saw. I don't do any delicate cutting on the bandsaw, so these have done well for me for about 10 years:)

Bernie Weishapl
02-02-2010, 10:39 PM
I have the Grizzly G0555X with the Carter bearings. Really made a big difference in the cutting.

Richard Madison
02-02-2010, 10:56 PM
Ceramic. Little if any wear, and they help keep the blade clean. Good value per $.

Mike Cruz
02-03-2010, 12:04 AM
Carter bearing guides on my Ridgid 14" and Grizzly upgrade bearing guides on my Grizzly 18". I love roller bearing guides.

Dick Strauss
02-03-2010, 12:39 AM
I like roller bearing guides for dry wood and square style guide blocks for wet wood. The wet wood fibers tend to get compressed onto the blade with the bearings while the blocks tend to prevent the buildup.

glenn bradley
02-03-2010, 1:38 AM
Yes, Grizzly G0513X. I am fine with the roller guides as supplied. I though they were wearing out and bought a full set of double sealed replacements for about $12. Turned out just one of the lower ones had something stuck behind it. The originals are still running.

Bill Borchardt
02-03-2010, 4:56 AM
Carter roller bearings.
Expensive, probably overkill, but they work very well.

Billbo
Smyrna, GA

bob hertle
02-03-2010, 6:25 AM
Carbide

Bob

Andrew Minear
02-03-2010, 6:38 AM
Carbide

Bob

Bob, could you elaborate on that? Don't think I've heard of that kind.

Andrew

Myk Rian
02-03-2010, 7:21 AM
Do you have a bandsaw?
Yes. A Delta 14" w/riser made in USA

If yes, what is your choice for guides?
I make them out of hardwood.

Why?
I'm cheap.
They don't cost me anything.
I can bury the blade in them.
They work great.

Jim Larson
02-03-2010, 8:56 AM
I agree with Dick. I was using my Delta 14" as a sawmill and found that changing the lower guide only to cool blocks worked best the keep the blade clean.

Howard Acheson
02-03-2010, 1:26 PM
I couldn't wait to remove the Grizzly supplied roller bearings on my 0555. They were noicy and didn't control the blade that well. When I bought the saw I had them supply standard guide holders and I installed Cool Blocks. Much quieter and much better control.

bob hertle
02-03-2010, 1:55 PM
Bob, could you elaborate on that? Don't think I've heard of that kind.

Andrew

Shop made chevron guides faced with carbide. Fabricated by brazing carbide chipbreaker to pre-milled mild steel body. Then diamond ground and lapped. Requires a touch up lapping every 15 or so years--essentially maintenance free. I have several sets that I made years ago--still on the first set, and I use the bandsaw a lot!

Bob

Pete Bradley
02-03-2010, 2:13 PM
Steel blocks. Slick, reliable, good wear, and good band control.

Ben Franz
02-03-2010, 2:26 PM
Iturra Band Rollers - about 1/3 the cost of Carter retrofit kit, can use with 1/4" and wider blades, can replace stock guides (or Cool Blocks) easily if neede to use a 1/8" blade. Also, doesn't reduce capacity under blade, if that's a concern. I've had these for a few months and so far I like the way they work. I haven't used the Carter guides so I can't say which is better. YMMV.

David Hostetler
02-03-2010, 4:52 PM
Do you have a bandsaw?

Yep, CM 32208 14" w/ Riser block and a mess of other modifications.

what is your choice for guides?

Olson Cool Blocks in the stock guide holder assemblies, with the OEM thrust bearing.

Why?

On my saw, the OEM guide blocks stink... Plastic, gets hot, melts, sticks to blade, enough said about that...

I swapped in a set of Accura micro adjustable roller bearing guides (I believe they are the same ones that Grizzly uses in the GO555X). Had to source up a machine bushing to fit it to my guide post, but once in, worked well, pain in the tail to keep adjusted. They didn't control the blade very well, and were very noisy. I couldn't run blades thinner than 1/4" with them as well which is a real pain in the butt when doing tight radius work...

I desperation I tried Cool Blocks on a friend's suggestion. Now the blade tracks straight, runs cool, set & forget adjustments, no backing off in the middle of a cut junk... And it is MUCH quieter.

I should have gone with Cool Blocks in the first place.

William Falberg
02-03-2010, 5:42 PM
So there you have it.

Some like roller guides and others prefer mayonaise on their Big Mac's.

Leigh Betsch
02-03-2010, 11:29 PM
Laguna ceramics, much better than my old Euro guides

Van Huskey
02-04-2010, 12:26 AM
Carter for large blades, ceramic for 1/4" or smaller

Duane Murray
02-07-2010, 12:58 PM
I recently replaced the OEM guides on my 30+ year old Craftsman 12" with the Carter Stabilizer and a new 1/4" TW blade. I can't believe the difference it has made. Suddenly the old saw works and cuts better than it ever has. The Stabilizer made so much difference I decided to replace the guides on my 14" Shop Fox with the Carter retro fit bearing guides. Again I'm amazed at the difference in performance. While the Shop Fox guides were OK I still expereince drift using a 3/4" TW blade to resaw. I now find vertually zero drift using the Carter Blade guides even resawing to as little as 1/16" inch. Don't aske me why or how things changed, at the same time count me in as a happy camper.