PDA

View Full Version : Chuck Extender for router table-Eliminator Chuck

tom coleman
02-02-2010, 6:55 PM
Has anyone tried the Eliminator Chuck by Marmo Enterprises of Springfield,Va designed for PC routers. This $50 chuck facilitates above the table bit changes. Sounds pretty good, Anyone tried it or have a better solution. I found thischuck favorably mentioned in a letter to FWW

Google Marmo Enterprises Springfield, Va for details

Rob Wright
02-02-2010, 8:37 PM
I had one on my cnc. It works well, however setting it up is tricky to get it properly seated without any runout. There is another one that is similar that mounts IN the collet (does not replace the collet) http://www.woodpeck.com/media/main_extremeext.jpghttp://www.woodpeck.com/xtremextension.html

If I were using in a router table, I would opt for the second choice since it raises the effective length a little higher.

The only Issue that I had is that you need to use an insert collet for 3/8" or 1/4" bits. I could not get the 1/4" bit off one time, so I had to remove the eliminator from the spindle and push it out the backside. That then required that I go through the process of re-attaching the chuck to the spindle and go through the tedious task of trying to get it to spin perfectly.

Peter Quinn
02-02-2010, 9:30 PM
I have the extreme extension on a table mounted router and it has performed well for several years. It gives me above table changes with a single allen wrench and increased height which works well with coping sleds and other jigs.

I have spun everything from small 1/4" bits to my biggest panel raisers, never a problem. Its worth a look.

Derrell W Sloan
02-02-2010, 10:39 PM
+1 for the extreme extension. I use it on my router table and its great.

Derek Gilmer
02-03-2010, 7:42 AM
Another +1 for the extreme.

Aaron Wingert
02-03-2010, 8:57 AM
+1. Great quality product. I haven't experienced any runout with mine.

Stephen Yeates
03-30-2015, 12:52 PM
My Extreme Extension also works perfectly with no balancing issues right out of the package. I use it in my table and hand held spinning at top speeds its smooth running with no perceptible vibration.I marked a line on the top to align the slit for the 1/4" shank bits. I even use an 8mm adapter in it and have had no issues using it with my Makita 3612. So convenient to use above the table and creates a lot more length of reach for shorter bits.

ian maybury
03-30-2015, 2:03 PM
Another with the Xtreme Xtension in DW 625 in a router table and very happy. I've not run it with heavy duty panel raising cutters though, only lighter and mostly slotting related work. Despite some initial caution its turned out to run pretty much dead true (clocked at intervals with a dial gauge), has stayed that way over several years despite a couple of heavy bumps due to operator errors, and always releases without problems. The only very minor inconvenience i find is that it needs a moment of attention to get the allen key lined up and into the hex screw socket when opening it.

Ditto with the Raizer attachment which uses the router's own plunge mechanism to give height adjustment. Just about the only real downside i've seen so far is that the range of adjustment is by definition limited to the travel available in the router pillars - again no issue on the smallish work done to date.

Rick Potter
03-30-2015, 2:41 PM
No experience with a chuck extender, but the Eliminator chuck which you asked about does extend the chuck a bit. To answer your question, I have one on a PC 690 in my saw extension, and I love it. I have no router plate, just drilled a hole in the table and mounted the router. The Eliminator extended up just far enough to change bits above the table, using a hex wrench.