PDA

View Full Version : Wood Lasering

Chad Paulsen
02-02-2010, 6:02 PM
I recently found a client who would like us to cut 1/4" wood letters out of wood. We have a 55 watt laser is this possible and is it efficient to even try? He also wants us to do some engraving on wood and i'm more proficient with marble/granite if anyone has any tips for me i would appreciate them.
Thank You
Engrave-O-Matic

Dan Hintz
02-02-2010, 6:21 PM
It's certainly possible, though the definition of efficient is certainly debatable. If the detail of the letters is low, you'll probably be better off CNCing them.

Michael Hunter
02-02-2010, 7:31 PM
Assuming you mean real wood, no problem at all.

I regularly cut 6mm maple, cherry and oak with a 60W machine.
With the right settings you should get a golden brown cut edge with no char, though it migh benefit from a quick squirt with an aerosol polish such as "Mr Sheen".

MDF and fibreboard are also OK, but if plywood, make sure that it is the "interior" sort or you will get problems with the laser-proof phenolic glue bubbling up and making a sooty mess.

PS Fine-grained hardwoods also engrave well

Chad Paulsen
02-02-2010, 7:51 PM
do you just make one pass to cut the 1/4" pieces? Do you use a wider lense?

Bob Tate
02-02-2010, 8:03 PM
I only have a 35 watt machine and cut 1/4" solid wood all the time. I love the way the laser cuts Cherry, Maple, and Alder. You can cut it just as well. And you can get all of the help you need right here.
Bob

Michael Hunter
02-02-2010, 8:06 PM
Yes, just one pass : 25% speed, 80% power, 1000Hz cuts it nicely with air-assist on.
(Epilog Legend EX 60W)

(It would actually cut at a faster speed and less power, but since wood is so variable it's best to have a safety margin rather than have some bits not cut right through. Also, the extra power means that I don't have to remember to change the settings for different woods.)

Engraving is more variable, but 100% power and 50% speed is a good starting point for most woods.

PS Standard 2" lens

Martin Boekers
02-03-2010, 10:21 AM
A note on charring, if your wood chars when cut do some testing lowering the frequency. I cut most at around 280 Freq. gives it a nice light brown
that doesn't come off on your hands.

Marty

Chad Paulsen
02-03-2010, 10:41 AM
Well you guys are supplying me with some good info. Since were at it i have another question about laser head sizes? We have .5" and 2.5" laser heads. What material do each of these laser heads work for? Or does it not make much of a difference which one you use? Thanks for the help guys.

Michael Hunter
02-03-2010, 1:03 PM
Use the 2.5" lens for cutting and engraving wood.
The beam is an "hour glass" shape around the focus point. The "thin" bit is much longer with the longer focal length lens : much more depth of focus and far less energy wasted cutting away at the sides of the piece.

Chad Paulsen
02-03-2010, 1:45 PM
Does the diameter of your laser hole affect how you cut wood? I'm using a 2.5" laser head with .75 diameter hole is this the correct lens?

Dan Hintz
02-03-2010, 1:52 PM
The hole is only relevant if your beam cannot escape the lens with the size hole you have... if centered correctly, most unfocused beams will pass through a .75" hole without a problem.