PDA

View Full Version : Can I Raster/Vector Polycarbonate Sheeting?

Scott Balboa
02-02-2010, 5:08 PM
I got ahold of 1/8" polycarbonate sheeting today and want to know if it is possible to raster (cleanly) or vector-cut it in any way. As usual there are contradicting reports online so I thought SMC would have a straight answer. Our laser is 40w with a 2" lens.

If it is possible, are there any extra hazards when lasering this stuff? I have ventilation of course, and am not exactly one of the more paranoid health-conscious guys, but if it's truly bad stuff I will stay away from it.

Scott Shepherd
02-02-2010, 6:35 PM
You can do anything you want with it, but it turns yellow where you vector cut it and it smokes like no body's business. It also takes more power to get through, but you can certainly do it. Last time I cut any, I heard chatter outside my office window, looked out to see a number of people walking by, I walked out to find them in the process of calling 911 because so much smoke was coming out of a vent :eek:

I saved the rest for night time cutting :D

Frank Corker
02-02-2010, 8:01 PM
Horrid stuff

Bill Cunningham
02-02-2010, 9:04 PM
It rasters, but don't waste your time cutting it..

Joe Pelonio
02-02-2010, 10:33 PM
It rasters, but don't waste your time cutting it..
I would have said the opposite, if one can handle the stink and yellow smoke I found it to cutter better than it engraves. I suggest sticking to acrylic, use the polycarbonate for old fashioned fabrication when strength is needed.

Mike Null
02-03-2010, 4:50 AM
I'm with Bill on this but frankly I just refuse to deal with any more.

Scott Balboa
02-03-2010, 1:05 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I gave it a whirl yesterday and yeah, pain in the a$$! Now I see why our client was desperate to find someone willing to drill/vector hundreds of holes in their stuff! I won't touch it again, personally.

Alexa Ristow
02-03-2010, 2:39 PM
Hi All,

Did a large job a few months ago cutting 3mm Polycarb. Customer wanted very precise disks cut with mounting holes. Told customer that Polycarb was not the right material because of its issues with UV but the end user was insistant. While there was a hell of a lot of smelly smoke and the cutting table needed a good scrub, the cut quality was so good that we managed to impress an engineering company!!!!!!. The edges came out with a brown/ yellow tint but any residue on the actuall faces came off with surgical spirits. The extra effort required to clean the machine was offset by the higher profit margins generated and we would gladly do it again. A signage company has subsequently told me about a UV coating for Polycarb.

Michael Hunter
02-03-2010, 3:57 PM
I sometimes cut polycarbonate for boat windows - my customer supplies the material.
The last lot came with UV protection on **one side**. After cutting the windows I had to write "This side out" on every piece - boring or what!