PDA

View Full Version : Thin or Thinner Granite

Mark Ross
02-02-2010, 4:46 PM
I can go to the Borg home improvement stores and find all sorts of granite for about 30 bucks a box for 5 or six pieces. However, for stuff that doesn't warrant that thickness (like granite wall murals, pictures on granite etc.) because there will be no load on them, does anyone have a source for thinner granite and if so, if the granite is say 1/2 the thickness of the box store stuff...by any luck...is it half the price? Just wondering, I am working on doing a huge wall mural and I don't want the load on the wall if I don't need it.

Bill Cunningham
02-02-2010, 8:56 PM
The lasersketch granite, both types, (the stone they call marble is granite too) is usually 7mm or about 5/16"

Niklas Bjornestal
02-03-2010, 4:27 AM
if so, if the granite is say 1/2 the thickness of the box store stuff...by any luck...is it half the price? .
More likely twice the price...

Belinda Barfield
02-03-2010, 7:48 AM
I can go to the Borg home improvement stores and find all sorts of granite for about 30 bucks a box for 5 or six pieces. However, for stuff that doesn't warrant that thickness (like granite wall murals, pictures on granite etc.) because there will be no load on them, does anyone have a source for thinner granite and if so, if the granite is say 1/2 the thickness of the box store stuff...by any luck...is it half the price? Just wondering, I am working on doing a huge wall mural and I don't want the load on the wall if I don't need it.

Granite and marble comes from the quarry in standard thicknesses. There are companies that offer thinner granite, but it isn't half the price. PM Jack Harper and he may be able to help you.

Mark Ross
02-03-2010, 10:28 AM
I found sources (in China of course...) for 7mm (~0.275" thick) supposed (remember this is China) absolute black granite with a fiberglass backing. No pricing, but they make the claim that the weight is about 20% of normal thickness granite.

I couldn't find a source stateside with a quick google search. Since we bring in stuff by the container load already from China, I am going to see if I can get some pricing on it.

Lee DeRaud
02-03-2010, 11:21 AM
I found sources (in China of course...) for 7mm (~0.275" thick) supposed (remember this is China) absolute black granite with a fiberglass backing. No pricing, but they make the claim that the weight is about 20% of normal thickness granite.I'd believe 20% less, but not 20% of. The stuff I get at Home Depot is 10mm.

Belinda Barfield
02-03-2010, 12:03 PM
I found sources (in China of course...) for 7mm (~0.275" thick) supposed (remember this is China) absolute black granite with a fiberglass backing. No pricing, but they make the claim that the weight is about 20% of normal thickness granite.

I couldn't find a source stateside with a quick google search. Since we bring in stuff by the container load already from China, I am going to see if I can get some pricing on it.

You might want to clarify what they consider "normal thickness". I work in the stone industry. Normal thickness to me is 2 cm or 3 cm, not tile thickness. 3 cm granite weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 25 lbs per sq ft.

I would also offer a word of caution that many granites that come in from China are dye impregnated.

Jack Harper
02-03-2010, 6:17 PM
A 4' x 8' ThinStone (8mm) panel weighs 165lbs or 5.15lbs psf.