PDA

View Full Version : Gluing scraps of 2x4, possible other ideas?

Hugh Jardon
02-02-2010, 4:03 PM
I have a fairly large pile of 2x4 scraps (8-12 inches), and was wondering if there's a sensible or novel use for them other than what I have in mind?

One idea I had was that I need stands for my planer & bandsaw, so I was thinking of laminating them together to make the tops. The thing is, I'd need to glue some of them up end-end as well as side-to-side. Gluing endgrain isn't the strongest of joints, I know, but would the strength of the long-grain glue be enough to compensate for the end joints? I'll be using El Cheapo Titebond, and lots of it.

Doomed to failure, or good enough? Or something else to make better use of the scraps and just buy new for the stands?

Myk Rian
02-02-2010, 4:16 PM
Use a finger joint router bit on the ends.
E-bay item # 140378797290

William M Johnson
02-02-2010, 4:18 PM
Make sure that you plane the boards before glueing them up. You may also need wipe down with acetone. I made a large bench top from Southern Yellow Pine and did not plane the boards (the first time). They sure seemed nice and smooth. Not. Very difficult to glue up, you will need lots of clamps.

Good luck

Bill

Dan Forman
02-02-2010, 4:28 PM
If you glue the sides, and if the pieces are of uneven length, seems like there would be enough strength in the side grain bonds to hold things together. Definitely joint (face and edge) and plane before gluing. Stagger the pieces as you lam, so that the ends fall at different places, think brick laying. Once the top is assembled, then trim off the uneven ends. If you have doubts, use a continuous piece of something for the long edges for extra stability.

I was assuming laminating like a bench top. If you just want to glue end to end and use for perimeter only, please disregard.

Dan

Lee Schierer
02-02-2010, 4:34 PM
You can join boards end to end reasonably well with a bridle joint. It won't be as strong as continuous wood, but it will work well in compression and moderate bending loads.

However, at about $2.50 per 8 foot for 2 x 4's how much are you really saving?

Glen Butler
02-02-2010, 4:38 PM
+1 Dan. Glue lams are made this way. My work bench is just a scrap of glue lam that came off a building project. Stagger the joints of the 2x4 and you won't have to worry about the butt joints. No need to finger joint them either. "Elcheapo" Tightbond is the best thing you can use for glue-ups. The bond in the joint is stronger than the wood itself.

Hugh Jardon
02-02-2010, 5:02 PM
Thanks guys. I realize it doesn't save any money to speak of. I just hate to throw stuff away, so I have several beer cases full of this junk.

If I'm coming home with shiny new lumber (of whatever description!), the wife wonders what I'm making for her. I need the stands, so this seems sensible. I have quite a few 3-4' offcuts too, so some of the strength can come from those.

I like the idea of the finger joint router bit, but the cost of that bit would be much more than just buying new 2x4s. I'll save that until I have lots of hardwood scraps.

If it's a total disaster, the worst it will have cost me is a pint of glue, an evening, and some wear on my blades. I will, however have learned a lesson, no matter how it turns out. Part of me is hoping it fails, so then I can junk the pine scraps with a clear conscience. It if succeeds, it's a bit of character built into the shop :)

Thanks guys!

Neil Brooks
02-02-2010, 5:48 PM
One other ?:

If it's stand tops, for machines, that you're looking for, then couldn't you resaw your 2x4s, giving you twice as much, plenty thick (3/4"), stock ... thus ... avoiding the need to glue/join end grain ... or ... do you just have some short lengths of 2x4?

Just a thought....

Chip Lindley
02-02-2010, 5:52 PM
Thats a TON of work to machine all the scraps and glue up. The finished product may not be worth the effort. Structural soundness for equipment stands may be IFFY.

I suggest using the blocks to make toy choo choo trains for little kids. Bandsaw out the *cars* into alphabet letters to spell a child's name. Very Personal! GrandMas everywhere want these for their little ones.

Neil Brooks
02-02-2010, 5:56 PM
Thats a TON of work to machine all the scraps and glue up. The finished product may not be worth the effort. Structural soundness for equipment stands may be IFFY.

Also an excellent point. I shop the HD fairly often for $0.51 sheets (cull bin) of 4x8 OSB in various thicknesses. Two machine table tops from each @ about a quarter apiece :cool:

But then ... there's always the "Bored and wanna' kill time in my shop" days :)

Mike Cruz
02-02-2010, 5:56 PM
+1 on Dan's comments.

Another use for them? Hmmmm, kindling?...

Nathan Callender
02-02-2010, 6:09 PM
Can't hurt to give one a whirl. If you joint/plane and glue up well, even with cheap pine at 1.5" thick it will be quite sturdy for sure, but will probably take a while. After your first one, if you think it's not worth the effort, then kindling sound good.

I usually have a bunch of the same stuff around the shop and I found that if I can keep it a little organized, it comes in handy for a bunch of stuff like making shims, blocks to hold a jig, etc. So, don't pitch it all if you decide to pitch any of it. I also can't bring myself to throwing wood away, but so far I've been able to find space or use for it yet. Maybe I'll actually give a shop table top a try on my next stand that I build!

KARL BECKER
02-03-2010, 11:43 AM
would you belive i have the oppisit problem ,tonight or tommorow i have to cut 12 @ 11 inches to make a rim for a wagon wheel yard orniment

Dave Novak
02-03-2010, 12:30 PM
I've had success end gluing hardwoods together, but I used pocket screws in addition to the glue.

john bateman
02-03-2010, 5:59 PM
I don't think there would be much success at planing 8" - 12" pieces.
Even if they made it through the machine there'd be 2" of snipe at each end.

Glen Butler
02-03-2010, 7:44 PM
I did not realize they were 8-12" long. This means it would take 8-12 blocks to equal a 2x4x8 which is valued at $1.68. Throw them away, have a weenie roast, make childrens toys, hold a pinewood derby, etc. but don't glue them up. Not worth it.

Kirk Simmons
02-03-2010, 8:59 PM
I make birdhouses out of old 2x4's. Joint, rip, glue up into short planks, assemble. My plan uses 33 linear inches of 3/8" thick x 6" wide planks that I make out of the 2x4's.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=138836&d=1263834171