PDA

View Full Version : 10" Jointer w/Dovetail Ways Disassembly

Brad Bartley
02-02-2010, 3:49 PM
Does anyone have any experience removing the infeed and outfeed tables from a jointer having dovetail ways?

I have a G0480 10" jointer and need to move it from my garage into my basement. I've separated the jointer portion from the cast iron base and managed to get that down into my basement using a refrigerator dolly, but the table assembly is 84" long and very heavy and awkward to handle. Plus, it's down eight steps to a 43"x43" landing then a 90° left turn, down 5 more steps into the basement- it's not a straight shot where I can just slide it down.

Is it pretty straight forward to remove and reassemble the infeed/outfeed tables or is it a major no-no? I did a search on google - some say do it and some say you'll never get back together again.

They way I'm looking at is this.... I can screw up the tables by taking in down in one piece or I can screw up the tables by taking it apart.

....I'll take my chances on screwing it up by taking it apart.

I've attached a picture and an exploded view of the jointer, so if anyone has any experience or advice on this topic please reply.

By the way, this jointer design and parts list is identical to the Oliver 4240 10" jointer and the same as the G0455 except for the cutter head.

William M Johnson
02-02-2010, 4:13 PM
No experience with a jointer, but I moved a Bridgeport Vertical Mill and engine lathe into my basement. There is no problem removing the table from the dovetailed ways.

You should remove the gib from the table before you try to slide the table off. I am guessing that item #4 is the gib. There are a series of screws #21,24 & 25 that retain the gib, I would pull them all the way out just to make sure that the table slides easily.

Do not mix the infeed/outfeed gibs up. They are individually fitted to the table. On the milling machine it is a huge job to fit the gibs. They are probably cast iron, long, skinny and very brittle. Be very careful. Since they don't really move that much if you break one it is not death, but not good either. Going back together is reverse of these steps. Slide the table on without the gib, then put slide the gib in.

The gib probably has dimples for the retaining screws so it should only go in one way.

Good luck and don't bust a gut

Bill

Peter Aeschliman
02-02-2010, 6:32 PM
If your tables aren't currently shimmed, I don't think this is a problem.

I took 6" jointer apart recently to do some serious maintenance a few weeks ago. I put it together, tightened down the jib screws, and it was aligned right away... no adjustments needed.

Since you already have the tables removed from the base, you should be able to remove the fence and guard, flip it over and put it on your bench, and evaluate how your particular jointer comes apart. Should be pretty straight forward.

Putting it back together might take 2 people though, since your jointer is way bigger and heavier than mine.

mike caruso
02-02-2010, 6:39 PM
Not really that bad of a job just remember the peices are still very heavy unasembled just did it to my 8" G1018 every thing went back together perfect

Chip Lindley
02-03-2010, 1:29 AM
I had to disassemble a Northfield 12" jointer just to get it out of my pickup bed, once upon a time. Taking the tables off is easier than putting the jointer back together! (due to gravity)

Loosen all gib screws. Turn the adjustment wheel counterclockwise to lower the tables (outward) until the handwheel screw disengages from the jointer frame. The tables should then slide out of the dovetail ways to freedom. Be ready to support the heavy CI table when it disengages; it's Heavy!

If your jointer does not have shims, you are in luck. IF it does, the shims will have to be realigned at their original spot in the dovetails to achieve coplanar tables.

Brian Runau
02-03-2010, 12:17 PM
I took my G0586 8" apart to move into my basement. Ways slide off the top. Remember the orientation of the gibs inside the way slot and position them at the bottom of the way.

I got mine back together and took some time to make sure I had table flat, but that was my only option to move. Grizzly tech service helped.

Good luck

Brian

Brad Bartley
02-03-2010, 1:28 PM
Thanks for the replies and sharing your tips.

It's good to hear that it's pretty straight forward to do - I'll just have to pay attention to the gibs and any shims that it might have. I have a chain hoist and some lifting straps that I'll use to help lift and handle the tables with.

I'll probably try and give it a shot tonight and let you know how things turn out.