PDA

View Full Version : Old growth wood

Bob Glenn
02-02-2010, 12:13 PM
A friend has acquired an old mansion that was built in 1827 and has determined it will be too costly to save. He plans to bulldoze it later this year. I have gone through the place and it has some nice 1 x6 flooring with real tight growth rings, however, I couldn't tell what the kind of wood was used. Some of the other flooring is flat sawn poplar. I noticed some of the roof rafters were walnut.

What is the value of this wood? I haven't been in the attic yet, however I did see some hand hewed beams at the top of one of the walls.

The owner has no interest in salvaging any of this, however, he would be interested in retrieving some of the value of this wood. Are there any salvage operations that do this type of work?

This is located in South West Indiana

Joe Von Kaenel
02-02-2010, 12:22 PM
I did a quick search on Yahoo. http://www.reclaimed-lumber.com/

I'm sure there are a lot of places who would buy the old wood to make flooring beams etc. Hope this helps.

Joe

Mitchell Andrus
02-02-2010, 12:40 PM
The labor involved often outweighs the value of the wood. Old Chestnut goes for $10.00 to $12.00 or more and makes the effort pay off if you can get in and out safely.

New oak flooring is about $2.50. Tough to rationalize salvaging old oak flooring at that price.

Maurice Ungaro
02-02-2010, 1:06 PM
I have dealt with a fair amount of reclaimed lumber. Trust me, it is a PAIN to remove all of the nails. And if you think you got them all....guess again.

Regarding the old mansion, you might have your friend re-assess his decision. I hold a Master's degree in Historic Preservation, and can tell you that:

1. If the timbers are good enough for you to use, they are doing a good job of holding the building up
2. There are numerous grants and tax credits available that make the restoration of such an historic resource financially attractive.
3. Don't give me that line about.."well...we can build one that looks just like it, and will be built better". No you can't. They just don't sell that stuff at Home Depot.

Have your friend give me a call, or shoot me a PM. I'd be happy to discuss his options with him. BTW, I'm also a licensed contractor.

843-441-2765

Dave Gaul
02-02-2010, 1:18 PM
I would take Maurice up on his offer to discuss... what does your friend have to loose at this point?

If the structure has been standing for almost 200 years, how could anyone doze it down!!!???:eek:

Bob Glenn
02-02-2010, 2:39 PM
I'm with you guys on preserving the mansion. I have discussed this with him and he said he and his father have already invested over 5 thousand dollars in the place. The main problem is mold. They can't seem to keep the place dry inside, despite the roof and windows being in reasonably good condition. The mansion, has a metal roof that looks to be original, if not really old standing seam and painted. The building walls are three bricks thick. They say they can't keep paint on the bricks since the brick is so soft. Also, all the brick needs to tuck pointed because the mortor is crumbling. Any suggestions?

Ken Shoemaker
02-02-2010, 4:24 PM
+1 on preservation

Jim King
02-02-2010, 4:31 PM
Add another to preservation

Maurice Ungaro
02-02-2010, 5:18 PM
I'm with you guys on preserving the mansion. I have discussed this with him and he said he and his father have already invested over 5 thousand dollars in the place. The main problem is mold. They can't seem to keep the place dry inside, despite the roof and windows being in reasonably good condition. The mansion, has a metal roof that looks to be original, if not really old standing seam and painted. The building walls are three bricks thick. They say they can't keep paint on the bricks since the brick is so soft. Also, all the brick needs to tuck pointed because the mortor is crumbling. Any suggestions?

Bob, without getting into a lengthy treatise on masonry, the brick should not be painted (modern paint) - it will ruin the brick and cause it to crumble. The interior walls should be properly clad to minimize the moisture. It may be able to use drywall (depending on the type of financial assistance being sought), but if he does, then properly fur out the walls and use non-paper backed drywall). Those bricks can be chemically treated for mildew without problem.

It would be a crime to tear down a brick structure from the 1820's. In that part of Indiana, that has got to be one of the older ones there.

Jim King
02-03-2010, 10:47 AM
From looking over this web site I think it would be worth calling them.

http://www.historiclandmarks.org/AboutUs/Pages/default.aspx

Why save historic places? Because today historic preservation is much more about the future than the past. We believe saving landmarks enhances our quality of life and makes our communities attractive and meaningful places to live, work, and build a future for those who will come a
Why save historic places? Because today historic preservation is much more about the future than the past. We believe saving landmarks enhances our quality of life and makes our communities attractive and meaningful places to live, work, and build a future for those who will come after us.

Historic Landmarks Foundation works to save, revitalize, and protect Indiana’s historic places. We are the largest statewide preservation group in the U.S., dedicated to helping Hoosiers preserve Indiana’s architectural heritage through education, advocacy, and financial assistance.

fter us.

Historic Landmarks Foundation works to save, revitalize, and protect Indiana’s historic places. We are the largest statewide preservation group in the U.S., dedicated to helping Hoosiers preserve Indiana’s architectural heritage through education, advocacy, and financial assistance.

Jim German
02-03-2010, 11:27 AM
+1 on saving it.

Take a look at the current ToH project, that house isn't nearly as old, and is probaly much farther gone and they're still saving it.

Of course some pictures would help, but if it really is a mansion, and is that old, a good restoration would make it worth a fortune, particualrly if its got some history in it.

Neal Clayton
02-03-2010, 11:36 AM

google 'rising damp' you'll turn up plenty of reading. moisture creeping up into masonry structures has been studied since victorian england, maybe before.

i question whether the metal roof is original, and would check to see if the metal roof's installation didn't seal off too much of the original design's ventilation. the walls have to breathe. there should be ample venting in the attic, and possibly vents to the outside from the base of the walls too. make sure these haven't been sealed off.

i live in a 102 year old stucco building myself. not half inch dryvit over hardiboard that you get these days, real stucco, about 2.5 inches thick over 1/2 rebar, and a mix so hot an impact hammer won't hurt it all that much.so i can appreciate the moisture issues, but if you discover the original design and implement it, then leave it alone, it will work fine.

i'd take maurice up on his offer, it doesn't hurt to talk and trade some pictures, even if it doesn't change their minds. that was a time when large houses were things that few could afford, and people took alot more pride in their work, from design to the trades that built it on up. it's a shame to tear them down.

Michael MacDonald
02-03-2010, 12:11 PM
I was just trying to find an easy way to get my hands on reclaimed lumber in chicago (short of buying myself a mansion), and I came across the web site for American Barn Company. I don't know their economics, but perhaps they pay for the priviledge of gutting old lumber... and they do more than just barns... try them out.