PDA

View Full Version : G0452 6" Jointer issues

Shawn Siegrist
02-02-2010, 11:49 AM
I'm trying to set up my new G0452 Jointer and I've come across a problem. The outfeed table is not parallel to the infeed table. Everytime I run a board through the jointer I get snipe the last 1" of the board. Using a straight edge, over an 11" span the outfeed table drops 20 thousandths of an inch. As far as I can tell there is no way to adjust the outfeed or infeed table other than to move them up or down. I don't believe you can shim the tables either.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Shawn

Matt Meiser
02-02-2010, 12:07 PM
Snipe at the end probably means you have the outfeed table set lower than the knives.

As for drop, first, do you have the ways tight and locked if applicable? I found my jointer (different brand, similar design) will drop noticeably with them unlocked. If they are, then you can shim between the bed and base casting.

You might want to pick up a good book on machine setup. I have Duginske's Mastering Woodworking Machines. Both of these topics are covered (with illustrations) I believe.

glenn bradley
02-02-2010, 12:13 PM
Page 22 of the manual online covers outfeed table height adjustment.

Shawn Siegrist
02-02-2010, 12:31 PM
The tables are not in parallel. The very edge of the outfeed table lines up with the infeed table, it runs down hill from there. 11" away from the begining of the outfeed table the table has dropped 20 thousandths of an inch.

Matt Meiser
02-02-2010, 12:48 PM
So first step is to get them parallel, using shims, then adjust the height to be dead even with TDC of the knives.

Dan Friedrichs
02-02-2010, 12:53 PM
I have the similar-looking Delta. As Matt said, you can loosen the gibs and shim. This is standard set-up for this machine.

Shawn Siegrist
02-02-2010, 12:59 PM
It slides on dovetails, how can you shim that?

Matt Meiser
02-02-2010, 1:22 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Wdwk-Machines-Fine-Woodworking/dp/0942391985?&camp=212361&linkCode=wsw&tag=wwwnorthwinda-20&creative=380797#reader_0942391985

Click the cover to look inside. In the box that says search, type 120 and it will show you the page with the photo of how to do so. 119 has the text.

And yes, seriously, a soft drink can makes great shim material. I used a V-8 Juice can myself.

Shim the outfeed table, because once you get it set, you won't be moving it.

glenn bradley
02-02-2010, 9:40 PM
The tables are not in parallel. The very edge of the outfeed table lines up with the infeed table, it runs down hill from there. 11" away from the begining of the outfeed table the table has dropped 20 thousandths of an inch.

Ahh, my apologies. I misunderstood and therefor my previous reply was no help at all ;-). On dovetail way jointers, shimming is the method of correction BUT, if this is a new tool I would have Grizzly take care of it. They have always been over-the-top in responsiveness if I had issues with new tools; casting flaw, dented housing, noisy motor switch and such.

Shawn Siegrist
02-04-2010, 8:02 AM
I shimmed the outfeed bed with three layers of aluminium can on each side, snipe improved but it's still there. I can't get a fourth piece of aluminium to fit into the dovetail. Any suggestions? I'm calling Grizzly today.

Dan Friedrichs
02-04-2010, 10:07 AM
Are you sure the beds are co-planer? If they are, and you're still getting snipe, you just need to adjust the height of the outfeed table a little. If they aren't perfectly coplaner, you should fix that, first.

Matt Meiser
02-04-2010, 10:17 AM
I shimmed the outfeed bed with three layers of aluminium can on each side, snipe improved but it's still there. I can't get a fourth piece of aluminium to fit into the dovetail. Any suggestions? I'm calling Grizzly today.

How about some pictures of what you did? The shim shouldn't be going into the dovetail area. 3 layers of aluminum can, properly placed would raise the far end of the bed dramatically. You have to be doing something wrong.

Have you picked up a good book on machine setup yet?

Shawn Siegrist
02-05-2010, 10:05 AM
I will get pictures tonight of where I'm placing the shims. The snipe did improve but has not gone away.

Spoke to Grizzly tech and their opinion is that I shouldn't have to shim a brand new jointer, they want to replace the bed. However before they will send me a new bed I have to send them the old one. I don't quite understand that one, send me a replacement part for the defective one and I will send the defective one back in the box that the replacement part came in. Seems simple enough to me. The tech that I spoke to didn't have time to see if he could send me the new bed first before he left yesterday, and he wasn't going to be in the office today, so I have to wait until Monday to find out if they are going to send me a new bed or if I have to ship mine first. Great customer service! How long does it take to make a phone call or write an e-mail?

brian c miller
02-05-2010, 10:11 AM

Does this mean the the edges are in the same plane? Like this:

----o-----

It's my under standing that the outfeed shoudl be set according to knife height and the infeed should be lower. Like this:

----o_____

Shawn Siegrist
02-05-2010, 12:31 PM
The beginning edge of the outfeed table is at TDC and in the same plane as the infeed table with the infeed table at zero. However the outfeed table does not stay parallel to the infeed table, it actually drops .020 over an 11" span.

michael case
02-05-2010, 8:26 PM
Shawn how long have you owned this machine? 20 thousandths (.02)? two hundredths? over 1/64" over 11"? No way that's acceptable. I would return it if I could even for a credit toward a paralellogram (sometimes called adjustable jointer). You can shim or alternately remove a table and file the dovetail ways, but either way is BS. IMO the only dovetail way jointer your likley to get right of the box that is truly parrallel and coplanar is the Canadian made General. This is one of the few companies that still mounts their tables and then planes the tops true to each other. This is the only way to consistently get good results. Most manufacturers do not do this. its not just Grizzly. My Delta was the same way. With an adjustable jointer the beds rest on cams and can be tuned in perfectly to each other. This in tedious process, but its not in any sense a retrofit, like shimming or filing. Also typically they have a much longer infeed table which allows for truing longer stock. I hope you can work this out.

Shawn Siegrist
02-06-2010, 8:23 AM
Grizzly called yesterday evening, they are sending me out the entire top half of the jointer. I'm still seriously considering returning the jointer.

Shawn Siegrist
02-09-2010, 3:10 PM
After further consideration I decided to return the G0452 Jointer and exchange it for an 8" G0656. I asked for a discount on the jointer due to the issues that I had with the jointer, the tablesaw G1023slw, lathe G0462, and grinder/sharpener T10097. The wouldn't give me a discount but they did give me a 100 gift card to be used on my next purchase. I have 25 hours of repair work on the Lathe, Tablesaw, and Jointer. Along with $50 spent on link belts for the tablesaw, factory belts had a hump in them and contributed to the movement at the arbor. Does that sound like a fair deal?

Van Huskey
02-09-2010, 3:26 PM
After further consideration I decided to return the G0452 Jointer and exchange it for an 8" G0656. I asked for a discount on the jointer due to the issues that I had with the jointer, the tablesaw G1023slw, lathe G0462, and grinder/sharpener T10097. The wouldn't give me a discount but they did give me a 100 gift card to be used on my next purchase. I have 25 hours of repair work on the Lathe, Tablesaw, and Jointer. Along with $50 spent on link belts for the tablesaw, factory belts had a hump in them and contributed to the movement at the arbor. Does that sound like a fair deal?

Fair is hard to say. But, if I had the number of issues you have had with 4 different tools with one name on them I would be looking for another brand. I am not knocking Grizzly because even if the name were Powermatic, General or Sawstop I would be looking for a way out of the grief not potentially farther into it.

Shawn Siegrist
02-09-2010, 4:40 PM
I still need to purchase a bandsaw and dust collector, but I don't know if I would consider grizzly in the future or not. Customer service is good, quality control seems to be lacking.

Van Huskey
02-09-2010, 5:16 PM
I still need to purchase a bandsaw and dust collector, but I don't know if I would consider grizzly in the future or not. Customer service is good, quality control seems to be lacking.

Funny enough DC and BS are probably Grizzly's best products.

Shawn Siegrist
03-04-2010, 9:44 AM
Update on the jointer:

I made the 3 hour drive back to grizzly, return the G0462 jointer, the 8" wet sharpener and other smaller items that I had bought. Purchased the G0656 8" jointer and used the $100 gift card on some accessories. Brought the jointer home and set it up with some help from my neighbor, boy is this thing heavy! Set the outfeed table to TDC, reset all of the knives, did a test pass edge jointing and it came out perfect. Did a test pass face jointer and my board is hitting the outfeed table. The outfeed table dips 4 thousandths in the back, shimmed it up with a soda can and after some fine tuning and after doing a test pass edge jointing and face jointing I'm happy with the results.