PDA

View Full Version : Okay, You Guys Asked For It -- Plane Pics!

Tom LaRussa
10-23-2004, 12:09 PM
Turns out I was exaggerating a tad -- okay, a whole bunch -- when I said that I had derusted all my planes. In reality I have derusted only those that had such hugely thick layers of the stuff that I was able to buy them for next to nothing -- by that I mean less than $10 apiece.

The rest of them have rust here and there -- or both -- but are all "users."

Note that even on the planes I have treated, I have not attempted to get back to shiny metal. I could lie and say I like the lovely patina, but the fact is that it just seems like a lot of work for not much. So, I just remove the rust, straighten the back, and sharpen the puppies.

Okay, here we go with pics.

This first batch contains my four "user" Stanleys -- numbers 4, 5, 7, and a mid-1990's block plane. (:eek: A "modern" Stanley?! :eek: THE HORROR! :eek: Relax, I bought it during my grad school days when I had no money and even less knowledge of such things.)

Moving right along, all of these planes are fettled and ready to go at a moment's notice. In fact, they are all capable of producing shavings you can read a newspaper through.

Tom LaRussa
10-23-2004, 12:12 PM
This next group contains my Stanley No. 6, which I got from my 98-year old uncle, who bought it new, plus my two beading planes. The No. 6 is a bit of a project, as you can see. Besides a fair amount of rust, it is missing its nob and the tote is broken and partially missing.

Tom LaRussa
10-23-2004, 12:18 PM
Group 3 shows a coffin smoother that I'm turning into a scrub plane, along with the plane that I call, simply, "Big Woodie." The blade on the scrub-to-be is a full 2" wide, which I thought much too big for a scrub, so I ground two deep shoulders into the cutting edge. Don't worry, if it doesn't work I can fix it, because I have an extra blade from the very first plane I bought, (another big woodie), which is such a basket case that I'll probably just resaw it to make a couple small planes.

Tom LaRussa
10-23-2004, 12:21 PM
A cute little compass plane from England.

Tom LaRussa
10-23-2004, 12:23 PM
Four round bottomed planes, (also from England), each with a different radius. (This is the Krenov influence -- I dream of coopered doors and plan to use these to round the backsides.)

The smallest of these -- on the far left -- is currently in dry dock. I am attempting to rebuild the mouth, which was chipped when I bought the plane.

Except for the mouth on the little one, these are all in fine shape. Their blades, which are quite hefty -- especially on the third plane from the left -- have patina, but no rust. Their edges have no dings and are nearly sharp.

Tom LaRussa
10-23-2004, 12:31 PM
Okay, here is the last set of pics!

This set shows my Bob Smalser influence.

You may remember that a while back Bob did an article on making a 50 degree smoother from an old Stanley (no. 3 or 4, I think). In any case, I'm attempting to do much the same thing except I'm starting with a coffin woodie.

So far I have sawn the plane body in half down the middle, and recut the angle of the throat from about 47 degrees to about 52.

This has left a rather huge mouth. Filling that in is the next step in the project.

Louis Bois
10-23-2004, 1:00 PM
O.K. O.K. I ASKED FOR IT!!!!

You are truly enjoying that new digital camera! and we're enjoying the results as well...so keep em coming!

This set should keep Tyler happy for some time :D

...nice haul for an amazing price BTW...and good luck with that Smalser-esque retrofit 50deg. smoother!!!

Cheers,