PDA

View Full Version : general question about small band saws

Zach England
02-02-2010, 9:10 AM
On my grizzly 14 inch bandsaw the rail for the fence sits about 1/16 above the top of the table surface. Is this normal for small band saws? I realize the solution is simple, but it seems to me that it is either a poor design or an error in the machining. Just wondering...

John Thompson
02-02-2010, 10:17 AM
On my grizzly 14 inch bandsaw the rail for the fence sits about 1/16 above the top of the table surface. Is this normal for small band saws? I realize the solution is simple, but it seems to me that it is either a poor design or an error in the machining. Just wondering...

Is it normal? I would think not as if the rail is 1/16" higher on the front the stock is not totally on the table. If 1/16" higher in the rear the bottom of the stock will catch the fence rail and stop forward movement on anything but shorter pieces. Loosen the rails and see if it will adjust down.. if not take them off and drill the hole large so you can adjust them down.

BTW.. this would be true on not just small band-saws but larger ones also. Throw in TS's for that matter. ;)

Brian Kincaid
02-02-2010, 10:19 AM

Zach, I'm not an expert on the Griz 14" but on my Griz 21" if I install the rail upsidown it will sit proud of the table. Can you flip over the rail?

-Brian

Rod Sheridan
02-02-2010, 11:11 AM
Yes Zach, it doesn't seem possible that a manufacturer would build a saw that way.

As mentioned perhaps your rail is upside down/in the wrong holes/or the wrong model for that saw.

The rail has to be flush, or below the table height.

Regards, Rod.

Stephen Edwards
02-02-2010, 11:15 AM
Remove the fence rails. Check the mounting holes on the fence and the table. I think you'll find the solution to your problem there. This same issue came up in the fairly recent past. Simple fix.

Zach England
02-02-2010, 11:27 AM
Thanks. I didn't think it was normal. It can't be upside down--there's no conceivable way it could be installed like that. I took it off and checked the holes and they are the only ones there. I will just drill new ones and call it bad QC by Grizzly.

Stephen Edwards
02-02-2010, 11:30 AM
Thanks. I didn't think it was normal. It can't be upside down--there's no conceivable way it could be installed like that. I took it off and checked the holes and they are the only ones there. I will just drill new ones and call it bad QC by Grizzly.

Is there only one set of holes in the table itself? I would also call Grizzly Tech Support, especially if this is a new saw.

John Thompson
02-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Is there only one set of holes in the table itself? I would also call Grizzly Tech Support, especially if this is a new saw.

Ditto Stephan on a new saw... but if they tell you that it is probably a mis-aligned hole I would just drill it out in lieu of a replacement after having Tech note that in the computer on your warranty. But.. IMO not a big deal if drilling out or just re-positioning is a simple fix. That's your call! I would definitely insure they are not upside down as sometimes what looks obvious well.. ain't! :)

Stephen Edwards
02-02-2010, 12:01 PM
Zach, Check out this thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1181553

Maybe this will help.....not sure which saw you have.