PDA

View Full Version : The new Leigh FMT

Sean Rainaldi
02-02-2010, 8:03 AM
OK I just got my new woodcraft feb catalog. I saw the new Leigh FMT, less than half the price as the original.

Anyone own this jig? I was wondering what it will not do, that the original fmt does?

I really wanted that jig last year but at over a grand, could not afford it, now this brings the price within my reach I was ready to go out and buy a mortising machine...

Mike Heidrick
02-02-2010, 10:05 AM
Al has one. Do a search on it. It was a resent set of threads. Or go to his Sandal Woods page and check it out there.

paul cottingham
02-02-2010, 1:19 PM
I have one, and think it is fantastic. I am a putz, so I actually broke one of the clamps, but other than that, I recommend it without hesitation.

Gary Muto
02-03-2010, 6:48 AM
I just got one too. The set up was easy. I had to make one adjustment to the clamping plate hinge mount and got perfect joints. There is a lot of resolution in the mortise to tenon fit and that took me a while since i was making small adjustments.

Sean Rainaldi
02-03-2010, 9:31 AM
Thanks,

So from what I read on their site, the FMT and the Super FMT have the exact same functionality, can do the same number and sized joints, and the only difference is that one has to purchase dust collection seperately for the cheaper unit and the high priced unit is machined aluminum and the cheap one is stamped metal. Is this about correct?

Has anyone experienced a lesser degree of precision in the milled joints, in the cheaper unit, compared to the pro unit?

Joe Leigh
02-03-2010, 10:23 AM
Look up Al Navas on the member list and visit his site. The link is posted in his profile. He has experience with both the original FMT and the new Super FMT and has extensive write ups on both.

Al Navas
02-03-2010, 11:45 AM
Al has one. Do a search on it. It was a resent set of threads. Or go to his Sandal Woods page and check it out there.
Mike,

Thanks! Glad to pitch in.

I have one, and think it is fantastic. I am a putz, so I actually broke one of the clamps, but other than that, I recommend it without hesitation.
Paul,

You are a lot stronger than I am... :D

I just got one too. The set up was easy. I had to make one adjustment to the clamping plate hinge mount and got perfect joints. There is a lot of resolution in the mortise to tenon fit and that took me a while since i was making small adjustments.
Gary,

I always have to think it through, and it works. 1/8th of a turn to adjust the fit by 0.001" - not bad, right? !!!

Thanks,

So from what I read on their site, the FMT and the Super FMT have the exact same functionality, can do the same number and sized joints, and the only difference is that one has to purchase dust collection separately for the cheaper unit and the high priced unit is machined aluminum and the cheap one is stamped metal. Is this about correct?

Has anyone experienced a lesser degree of precision in the milled joints, in the cheaper unit, compared to the pro unit?
Sean,

All the testing I have done to date shows me that the results are exactly the same. When you think about it, this in itself is pretty remarkable, at a fraction of the cost.

Look up Al Navas on the member list and visit his site. The link is posted in his profile. He has experience with both the original FMT and the new Super FMT and has extensive write ups on both.
Joe,

Thanks for the pitch! This new machine is great, and performs as advertised.

To all: Sorry I had not checked in for some time. Just as I did with the regular FMT, I will be getting additional clamps, for flexibility in the work I do with the Super FMT machine. This is what I mean, with the old FMT, and now called the FMT Pro, machining mortises on very heavy, 3" X 3" legs:

http://sandal-woodsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/workholding-clamps.png

I wrote an article on accuracy and reproducibility applied to this machine. You must be able to position multiple pieces accurately to get the results you need for fine furniture; and you must also be able to re-position the same piece very accurately, if you must do additional work on it. Of course, the machines are made to give extremely accurate results; but by using common sense and applying known techniques to help ourselves we will be much happier and our results will show it...:)

By the way, Leigh has a Special the rest of this month - you buy the Super FMT, and they send you a terrific set of guides that will increase the number of joints possible. Take a look at their web site.

My thanks to all!

Sean Rainaldi
02-03-2010, 1:19 PM
Thanks so much to the both of you Joe and Al. I have wanted an FMT for a long time, now I think I can afford it! Hope to buy it by the end of the month to take Leigh up on the offer. I assume that you are Joe Leigh of Leigh Jig?

By the way I absolutely love my D4R!

Oh by the way I have a festool 1400OF router, would this be a good router for the new FMT?

Al Navas
02-03-2010, 2:04 PM
Thanks so much to the both of you Joe and Al. I have wanted an FMT for a long time, now I think I can afford it! Hope to buy it by the end of the month to take Leigh up on the offer. I assume that you are Joe Leigh of Leigh Jig?

By the way I absolutely love my D4R!...
That is a terrific dovetail jig, Sean - I have the much older D4, which also does a great job. And I don't think I could ever change it out.

For Joe Leigh - I also have wondered, often - like every single time I see your name... Hmmmm... OK, Joe, fezz up...;)

Oh by the way I have a festool 1400OF router, would this be a good router for the new FMT?

Sean,

You are welcome! The Leigh Router Selection web page lists the following Festool routers as working with the machine. It states: "...The following is a list of routers compatible with the Super FMT. New routers are constantly coming to market. If your router is not listed, call "Technical Support" toll free to determine a mounting solution...": 900, 1000, 1010, OF1400, OF2000,OF2000E, OF2200. I am not at all familiar with the Festool routers, but it appears that yours will work...In case you have a different router.

Please, let us know when you get yours, and how you like it. And, of course, Projects, Projects...:D

Enjoy!

Joe Leigh
02-03-2010, 2:24 PM
Nope, just a coincidence. I do own Superjig though, if that helps....

Al Navas
02-03-2010, 2:29 PM
Joe,

I was kidding - but what a wonderful coincidence! Thanks for not blowing up over my comment :cool: :) .

Steven J Corpstein
02-03-2010, 3:38 PM

By the way I absolutely love my D4R!

Sean,
I have the original FMT (now the Pro) and use a Festool 1400 on it. Works great and I don't need to use the alignment rods to attach. There are factory holes that line up with the 1400 holes in the base.