PDA

View Full Version : New planer stand.

keith micinski
02-02-2010, 12:41 AM
So after seeing the snipe I was getting from my new dw735 I looked into buying the table extensions but saw they were fifty bucks and I thought, well I need a stand anyway, so I thought I would build a stand and tables. I originally thought I would have about 50 buck's or less into it with some scraps I had laying around but I ended up with about 60 into it. I also ended up just making it a height that felt comfortable and it ended up being 40 inches tall which is a lot higher then most every body else's but it feels pretty good at that height. Also before anyone hassles me about my dust collection I had that container laying around and I actually thought if I drilled holes in the top it would let enough air out to equalize the pressure. I was really wrong on that one. I am going to have to look in to making one of those trash can cyclones. Here are some pics.

Cory Hoehn
02-02-2010, 8:59 AM
Nice work, Keith. Maybe enclose the base and add some drawers...you can never have too many drawers.

keith micinski
02-02-2010, 1:17 PM
I am going to put sides on it but believe it or not I really do have enough drawers. I am thinking I will just leave the front and back open because I am planning on getting a trash can that fills most of the space underneath for my dust collection. I also need to add some cam locks to the base because the swivel rollers that I used roll so nice that it moves a little to easy for my liking.

Peter Pedisich
02-02-2010, 1:23 PM
Great stand...nice Jetta, too.:D

keith micinski
02-02-2010, 1:30 PM
48 miles a gallon makes it even nicer.

keith micinski
02-02-2010, 1:33 PM
I really can't believe how much pressure the dust collection kicks out in this thing. I am amazed at how good of a job it does. I just hope I can get a good size trash can underneath that thing.

Jim Rimmer
02-02-2010, 1:48 PM
Nice looking stand but am I missing something? What are the hinged boards for and how are the extensions held up?

keith micinski
02-02-2010, 1:51 PM
Look at the third picture. The tables hinge up and then the arm underneath the table swings over and supports the table with a bolt that screws up and down allowing me to adjust the height of the tables.

Rob Fisher
02-02-2010, 2:01 PM
48 miles a gallon makes it even nicer.

I have a TDI as well. I love the gas mileage! Too bad I need to sell mine.

Rob

keith micinski
02-03-2010, 5:37 PM
So, I got the new stand all made and I tried it out. I have the tables angled up on the outside edges so that there is about an 1/8th inch gap in the center of the table like everyone has said to do. My snipe is better but If I run my hand over the piece I can still feel it on each end. I took this picture of it flat on the saw top but it isn't very clear. I can't visually see it even if I hold the piece on top of my saw table top so I am happy with it but I was just wondering if this was acceptable. It seems like a finish sanding on my piece would knock this snipe out anyway. Do all planers leave a little bit of snipe no matter what or is there an adjustment to be made that completely eliminates the snipe all together?

keith micinski
02-03-2010, 5:52 PM
Sorry for some reason my picture won't load.

Myk Rian
02-03-2010, 7:46 PM
I use a WoodCraft 5 gallon bucket separator on mine. Works good.

keith micinski
02-03-2010, 10:19 PM
I was supposed to go today and find a trash can that would fit underneath the base and just didn't get around to it. I watched the Phil Thein video and was amazed at well his system worked when he opened up the vacuum cleaner and there wasn't a single chip in it. I think the level of snipe that I am getting has to be acceptable since it isn't even visible to the naked eye so all in all I think I am pretty happy with this purchase. After I sold the second planer I get on sale I only ended up paying 150 dollars for this one.

keith micinski
02-06-2010, 5:23 PM
Well, I got my Thein trash can made up and it works shockingly well. I have messed with my tables and have eliminated almost all of the snipe to. I ended up using a 20 gallon can instead of a thirty so that it would fit underneath of my stand and I can just roll the whole unit out when I need it now.

keith micinski
02-06-2010, 5:32 PM
Is anyone else having problems attaching pictures the last few days? Well, for some reason I have to upload two pictures it wont let me do just one.

Jeff Bratt
02-06-2010, 7:56 PM
That "chip bucket" looks much more appropriately sized for a planer. I like the all-in-one-unit planer+chip collection idea. It's fun to see how an idea varies and changes as it spreads...

keith micinski
02-06-2010, 8:11 PM
I actually felt really foolish when I kicked the planer on the first time and the little tote blew apart. I actually thought it would be close. At least I was the only one there to see it.

Jeff Bratt
02-07-2010, 2:28 AM
I actually felt really foolish when I kicked the planer on the first time and the little tote blew apart. I actually thought it would be close. At least I was the only one there to see it.

The first time I planed with my new 735, I used the included attachment that just shoots the sawdust all over EVERYTHING - so I got some idea how much air that chip ejection fan moved. Maybe that works on a construction site, but it's certainly not in a shop.I also very quickly decided that some other solution was needed.

David DeCristoforo
02-07-2010, 1:57 PM
What's that big blueish thing with wheels on it behind the planer? Obviously some kind of machine on a mobile base but I don't remember seeing anything like that in a woodworking shop before...

keith micinski
02-07-2010, 2:56 PM
What do you mean? I thought every body had a germen lumber and tool hauler. That is one of the most essential items in my shop. I have traveled all over the Midwest finding good deals on tools.