PDA

View Full Version : Miter Saw Dust Collector

Brian Buckley
10-23-2004, 11:42 AM
While at IWF this year, I saw a large yellow dust collection hood for miter saws. (yellow plastic). I believe it was a new product. Does anyone know who makes it or sells it? Do they work?

Thanks in advance

Brian

Jamie Buxton
10-23-2004, 1:52 PM
Rousseau. http://www.downdrafter.com/

From the site, I can't tell how the hood is mounted. A couple years ago, somebody was offering a similar-looking product which mounted to the bench which the saw is sitting on. That is, the hood didn't move if you changed the miter angle on the saw. To change the miter angle, you had to first move the hood out of the way, then set the new miter angle, then re-clamp the hood to the bench. It seemed like too much effort for me. It also meant that when you take the saw to a job, you have to carry not only the saw and the hood, but also the bench they're both connected to. Maybe Rousseau has figured out a better approach, but I can't tell from the site.

Actually, if you just replace the OEM dust bag with the hose from your vacuum cleaner, it captures a surprisingly large percentage of the sawdust. It isn't 100%, but it helps a lot. It particularly gets the fine dust which hangs in the air forever.

Brian Buckley
10-23-2004, 2:19 PM
Thank you Jamie, that is the one I was looking for. I will give them a call Monday. Their web site does not tell you alot and I cant find any one who sells it.