PDA

View Full Version : Never turned but about to

Joe Shinall
02-01-2010, 9:39 PM
Hey guys, I have never turned anything before. I bought a Excilsor mini lathe with bed extension from Rockler for like $180 during christmas time and just took it out of the box. What I am trying to figure out is the best way to mount a bowl. I bought a dvd that did not help at all because all of the chucks the guy was using were home made.

What is the best way to chuck a bowl? Do I have to buy a special type of chuck or can I use what is provided with the lathe? I know I can go buy something better later as far as chucks but just want to go the cheaper route to learn first. Any good instructions you guys can give would be awesome. Been woodworking for about 2 years and now I'm stuck at how the hell to do this :eek:

Donny Lawson
02-01-2010, 9:49 PM
Joe,
Look at www.woodcraft.com (http://www.woodcraft.com) and look for the DVD "Turned Bowls Made Easy" BY:Bill Grumbine.It's a great DVD and it will take you from cutting the tree into a nice blank to every stage of bowl turning.I just started turning myself and this DVD helped alot.
Donny

Joe Shinall
02-01-2010, 9:55 PM
I should have probably bought that one. I picked that exact one up and said "well this one is cheaper" and I got "Bowl Turning" with Del Stubbs. I almost fell asleep and had a hard time with his sense of humor. :confused:

alex carey
02-01-2010, 10:03 PM
http://www.kevinsbrady.net/bowl.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqPuDFtz_-Y

These should give you the basic idea.

Eric Kosanovich
02-01-2010, 10:03 PM
Hi Joe,

I was about where you are now back in Dec. 09.
I found it to be vary helpful to get a chuck just for that bowls, small boxes ext.
the Woodriver chuck worked out best for me 3/4 x 16 TPI Self-Centering 4-Jaw Chuck:
http://www.amazon.com/16-TPI-Self-Centering-4-Jaw-Chuck/dp/B0035Y7V96/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1265079124&sr=1-10 (http://www.amazon.com/16-TPI-Self-Centering-4-Jaw-Chuck/dp/B0035Y7V96/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1265079124&sr=1-10)
This makes it really easy to center and mount-remount work.
one beginner to another

patrick michael stein
02-01-2010, 10:28 PM
did your lathe come with a face plate if so just screw the face plate to the blank you want to turn. you can turn the outside profile towards the headstock the you can hollow out the inside. then take the bowl of the lathe unscrew your face plate now make a jam chuck .put the inside of thebowl on the jam chuck bring your tail stock up to hold the bowl against the jam chuck. and clean up some screw holes . you could glew a waste block on first then the faceplate to that . there would be no holes from the screws that way then procede as before.

Joe Shinall
02-01-2010, 10:36 PM
+1 to every one of you guys. Watched the videos posted and the looked at the article and makes a ton more sense now. Ordered the Turned Bowls Made Easy DVD and looking at 4 jaw chucks now. Can't wait to turn my first bowl. Got 3 blanks on sale at Woodcraft the other day and have been staring at them everytime I walk in my garage. I have a feeling this is gonna be addictive :D

Steve Schlumpf
02-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Joe - Welcome to the wonderful world of turning! One additional suggestion is to get with your local turning club - they are full of talented members who love to help others learn about turning! Having someone actually demo how to turn a bowl is a lot more educational than DVD cause you see what is happening and can ask questions.

When it comes to DVDs for additional information - then I have to agree - Bill Grumbine's Turned Bowls Made Easy is as good as it gets!

Bernie Weishapl
02-01-2010, 11:17 PM
Welcome Joe to the wonderful world of turning. I agree that getting with a turning club will do more good than DVD's.

Robert McGowen
02-01-2010, 11:36 PM
I have a feeling this is gonna be addictive :D

You don't know half of it yet........ :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
02-01-2010, 11:49 PM
[QUOTE=Joe Shinall;1331411 I have a feeling this is gonna be addictive :D[/QUOTE]

Joe,

Turning is IMHO the closest thing to instant gratification in the woodworking world.

A word of advice....take a photograph of any money currently in your wallet. Frame the photo and mount it on the wall above your lathe. That way you will have some way of remembering what it was like when you had money.

Like most addictions....it's expensive!

But you will smile more!:D

John Keeton
02-02-2010, 6:56 AM
+1 to every one of you guys. ..... I have a feeling this is gonna be addictive :DJoe, this is not exactly like those support groups one participates in for various addictions!!!:D

In fact, I fear that your slide down this slope will only be hastened by these spinny guys! They will tempt you, taunt you, and offer endless assistance to no end - all of which will push you deeper into the VORTEX!!

I know of what I speak. I can still remember the time back in '09, when I was a content flatworker, satisfied with the mundane world of furniture building.

Oh, for the days!!!! But, that was many dollars ago, and going back is hopeless.

Cherish the memories of your pre-turning days. They will fade quickly.

Baxter Smith
02-02-2010, 8:24 AM
Joe,

Turning is IMHO the closest thing to instant gratification in the woodworking world.

That sums it up the best.

I know of what I speak. I can still remember the time back in '09, when I was a content flatworker, satisfied with the mundane world of furniture building.

Oh, for the days!!!! But, that was many dollars ago, and going back is hopeless.

Cherish the memories of your pre-turning days. They will fade quickly.

Say it aint so! My new and expanded shop, my new dust collection system, my almost year long addiction to craigslist (according to my daughter - who also now believes it has switched to this site), and all that wide walnut I have been hoarding for so long, not to mention the other species. I feel ill!:)

Welcome Joe!

Rob Cunningham
02-02-2010, 8:32 AM
Welcome to the turning world Joe. There's lots of good info here and lots of people who will help you spend your money :eek:

Steve Vaughan
02-02-2010, 8:41 AM
Welcome Joe! I think we're all seeing where this is heading...straight into that vortex thing. Learn, learn, and learn. Lots of great info on this site and you will not be disappointed! Looking forward to seeing a picture of that first bowl!

Allen Neighbors
02-02-2010, 10:33 AM
Welcome, Joe. Smile. Be happy! Turn. Turn. Turn. Be broke, but turn. :D :D

Joe Shinall
02-02-2010, 5:38 PM
Thanks everybody for the warm welcome and for the words of wisdom. I've already been making a list of things to learn to turn. And haven't even turned anything yet. I did order a 4 way chuck this morning and it will be in by the weekend hopefully. Can't wait to screw up...I mean turn that first bowl!!!

And the LOML is also interested in a hobby and thinks she will do bowls as well. The lathe was actually her christmas present so she could learn :D Alterior motives??? Maybe...

Anybody do personal loans on a low fixed rate??? :rolleyes:

Donny Lawson
02-02-2010, 7:57 PM
You can figure it out.Just like I was told by a man who is teaching me some pointers,"ride the bevel".I wasn't for sure what that meant but after about 45 minutes I kindly figured it out.I came home and turned 3 bowls.I have them sealed and put in a paper bag.I'm going to get me some DNA and try it and speed up the process.You need to keep very sharp tools and have a sharpening system.I did figure out that bowl turning can cost a little $$$$ at first but I think it will pay off in the long run.Let us know how it turns out.
Donny

Joe Shinall
02-02-2010, 11:15 PM
You can figure it out.Just like I was told by a man who is teaching me some pointers,"ride the bevel".I wasn't for sure what that meant but after about 45 minutes I kindly figured it out.I came home and turned 3 bowls.I have them sealed and put in a paper bag.I'm going to get me some DNA and try it and speed up the process.You need to keep very sharp tools and have a sharpening system.I did figure out that bowl turning can cost a little $$$$ at first but I think it will pay off in the long run.Let us know how it turns out.
Donny

Yeah I saw a video on youtube and I cant remember the guy's name but he used the term "ride the bevel" as well and I caught on what he meant. I've been looking all day at videos and articles and have learned ALOT!!! Thanks to you guys for pointing me in the right direction and getting me to understand the chuck system.

I ordered the Barracuda2 chuck system. I went back and forth between that and the OneWays and Novas and just decided to go with the cheaper because I had a voice in my head (or my ear, thank you honey) to go with the cheaper system since it came with the extra jaw sets. Had some good reviews on them and read a lot of posts on SMC about them. Gonna turn at least one bowl before I spend anymore money. But I do need a low speed grinder and sharpening wheel, etc... Oh how it flies out the wallet so! :eek:

Donny Lawson
02-03-2010, 7:46 PM
I looked at Lowes this afternoon and a GAL. of DNA was $15.28.My question is how long will this stuff last.I haven't bought it yet because I figured I will need at least 2 gal. worth.
Donny