PDA

View Full Version : Glue up jig for Stave work

Tim Boger
02-01-2010, 9:08 PM
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a tutorial on making the multi - doughnut style of glue up jig for Stave work.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Tim

Richard Madden
02-01-2010, 10:04 PM
Tim,
Try looking on Woodturner.org. There is an article from the Summer 2007 issue of American Woodturner you can download called Staved Vessel by Bob Fulton. It's a great article with plans for making a staved vessel jig for gluing. Check it out.
Rich

Tim Boger
02-01-2010, 10:16 PM
Hi Richard ... found it, exactly what I wanted!

Thanks,
Tim

Malcolm Tibbetts
02-01-2010, 10:20 PM
Tim, for what it's worth, the same type of jig is discussed and shown in my book, The Art of Segmented Woodturning (2003).

Greg Just
02-01-2010, 10:45 PM
I have been making a number of the travel coffee mugs using staves and have had really good luck using big thick rubber bands to hold everything together. I got a package of them from either Rockler or Woodcraft. There are 3 or 4 different sizes and they work well. This is just another option to the jig, which I had considered making.

Tim Boger
02-02-2010, 6:18 AM
Good Morning Malcolm,

Thanks for the reminder, when I get back into my shop (weekends) I'll have another look at the jig described.

Gary,

Thank you for your feedback as well. If I'm not mistaken, the jig has a small face plate attached to facilitate turning the bottom. That seemed to me like the way to go. I also really enjoy making jigs.

Thanks guys!

Tim Boger