PDA

View Full Version : Small Red Mallee Burl Bowl

Robert McGowen
02-01-2010, 7:18 PM
I had a red mallee burl that was only about 1.75" tall to start with. Instead of the typical ogee form with the flat rim, I decided to turn this one around and orient it like a natural-edge bowl, as it was so thin to start with.

9 1/8" across and 1 1/8" tall. 3 coats of antique oil and waiting to be buffed. I knew that this wood was porous, but it still drew 25 hg on the vacuum pump. The only problem was that when I took it off, the vacuum chuck was full of red sawdust and mineral spirits that had been sucked all the way through the bowl!

Critiques are welcome and thanks for looking.....

Steve Schlumpf
02-01-2010, 7:24 PM
Beautiful bowl Robert! Love the color and all that texture! Quite the showpiece! Thanks for sharing!

Baxter Smith
02-01-2010, 7:32 PM
Very different, very neat! The first picture reminded me of a red winter jellyfish but as soon as you flipped it over it was completely different! Very cool!

John Keeton
02-01-2010, 8:00 PM
Very neat!! That stuff has some beautiful color. I purchased several small cuts of Australian burls and there is one piece of red mallee as I recall. Makes me want to get it out and do something with it!!

charlie knighton
02-01-2010, 8:13 PM
very nice, what is the lowest rating the vacuum will hold at?? i have never used vacuum, but that looks like about the only way to chuck something like that. thanks for sharing

Donny Lawson
02-01-2010, 8:26 PM
That's a very nice and interesting piece.I am courious about the vacum myself.What would a decent vacum cost?, and what brands to look for?Since I'm just starting into bowl turning I will have alot of questions.,so be patient with me.
Donny

Bernie Weishapl
02-01-2010, 8:42 PM
That is a beauty Robert. Really nicely done.

Robert McGowen
02-01-2010, 9:07 PM
A lot of people use a design based on a thread by Steve Schlumpf. (Thanks Steve!) Here is a link to the one that I made:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=89121&highlight=vacuum+chuck+steve+schlumpf

I turned the mallee just like a regular piece of wood. First a face plate on one side, turn a recess on the other side, put onto a chuck and hollow the inside. I used the vacuum chuck to finish off and sand the backside.

Jon Lanier
02-01-2010, 9:11 PM
Oh MY!!!

That is absolutely gorgeous!

Wow!

Incredible!

:eek:

David E Keller
02-01-2010, 9:12 PM
Beautiful piece of wood and a nice finish. Those Aussie burls have so much going on that I think the simplest forms often look the best.

Roger Bullock
02-01-2010, 10:29 PM
Sometime less is more and in this case you have accomplished just that, simple turning that lets the wood speak for itself. That is one very tastefully turned piece that shows off the woods true splendor of the burl. Congratulations on such a fine work of art.

Brian Effinger
02-01-2010, 11:20 PM
Simply beautiful Robert. Nicely done. :)

Roland Martin
02-02-2010, 6:44 AM
This is an incredible piece of burl. The intensity of the burl, the colors and the simple form do make this a work of art. Extremely well done Robert.

Rob Cunningham
02-02-2010, 8:22 AM
That's a beautiful piece of wood Robert. Nice job on the form and finish.

Jeff Nicol
02-02-2010, 8:52 AM
I wish I had a pickup load of this wood! It is one of the most beautiful of the Aussie burls! I have some chunks that I need to work into a masterpiece! Great bowl and thanks for sharing.

Jeff

Allen Neighbors
02-02-2010, 10:28 AM
Roger's right. A work of art. Good show!