PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Internet

Jon Lanier
02-01-2010, 5:58 PM
My new church decided they wanted me to have Wireless Internet instead of having it hard wired at only the church. Now I can 'roam' with my lap top anywhere. I know... might not be new to some of you... but wow... to me.... ~How Cool is this! :cool:

Mitchell Andrus
02-01-2010, 6:52 PM
Funny.... I wired the kid's bedrooms 20 years ago for phone and internet. By the time they needed phones and the internet, they didn't need the wires!!! LOL

Yes, very cool to cut the cord.... well at least that one. 'member you still gotta plug in to charge up.

Michael Schapansky
02-01-2010, 7:23 PM
Wireless IP is very handy if expensive. I use it in my truck sometimes to answer customers questions while I'm out working. Today I took a break and watched a couple of pocket screw videos (don't tell anybody).

Joe Pelonio
02-01-2010, 8:47 PM
I'm sitting on the couch in the family room on the little Acer Aspire now, wireless is great. I can watch games on TV while online. Great multitasking tool.

Myk Rian
02-01-2010, 9:22 PM
The laptops in the kitchen and shop are wireless. If we do any online banking or purchasing we use my desktop, which is wired.

Rick Davidson
02-01-2010, 9:22 PM
My work supplies us wireless also it's great I don't know how many times the wife has used it to browse while I am driving down the road.

Jim Rimmer
02-01-2010, 10:41 PM
I got LOML a laptop and wireless router for Christmas. Router was pretty cheap. She loves it. We ahven't tried wifi on the road yet.

I'm still on the big box and wires but at least I don't have to share.

Bill Cunningham
02-02-2010, 9:12 PM
Does anyone make a 'box' for the TV that you can give a IP address to, and send streaming vid to your TV?

Steve knight
02-03-2010, 1:56 AM
welcome to the 21st century (G) for ther most part I have used wired becasue it is faster and more reliable. but my wife wanted music on her stereo so here comes the airport express. it streams itunes to her stereo. for me I got a appletv so I can stream movies to the tv.
now what is cool my wife can use her itouch to control itunes to play music while in the bedroom and she is blind. I can use my iphone to check something for the wife while talking on the phone. now that's really cool.

Jim Becker
02-05-2010, 9:22 PM
Does anyone make a 'box' for the TV that you can give a IP address to, and send streaming vid to your TV?

AppleTV may do that...

Steve knight
02-05-2010, 9:46 PM
appletv only streams from itunes.
the roku box or boxee box and several others will stream things like netfix and other things.

paul cottingham
02-05-2010, 10:29 PM
I still use wires at home. I worry 'cause there is no wireless security standard anymore that can't be cracked. Its faster, too.

Tom Godley
02-06-2010, 10:00 AM
Are we talking Wifi or 3G??

While 3G is indispensable to those on the go -- The speeds can be frustrating. I never use it when Wifi is available

Myk Rian
02-06-2010, 10:03 AM
I believe Jon was referring to WiFi. Not Internet through a cell tower.

Mike Henderson
02-06-2010, 10:47 AM
I still use wires at home. I worry 'cause there is no wireless security standard anymore that can't be cracked. Its faster, too.
WPA2 is pretty good and has been included in all WiFi certified equipment since 2006. WEP could be broken but would anyone want to hack your network when so many are wide open?

Mike

Tom Winship
02-06-2010, 11:30 AM
I gave up and gave my Post Versalog Slide Rule to my son yesterday to display along with other engineering antiquities he has. The time had come.
However, on second thought, if the power grid would go down for an extended length of time..........................

Tom

Lance Norris
02-06-2010, 11:39 AM
After losing my job several years ago do to a factory closure, I decided to become an OTR truck driver. I quickly found out I needed to be able to connect to the internet anywhere I was at the moment. I use this for weather conditions, directions, radars, and sending my trip documents to my company. I have a Verizon Wireless aircard for my laptop. Only once in the last 2 years did I find a spot in South Carolina where I could not connect to the internet. Other than that one time, Its been flawless. Very cool.

Ron Cole
02-06-2010, 1:56 PM

There are a bunch of them out there now, google IPTV and I'm sure you'll find some. Also, Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 can do this either via USB hard drive or wirelessly with a program called TVersity on your PC. PS3 can also function as a good Blue Ray player.

paul cottingham
02-06-2010, 2:51 PM
WPA2 is pretty good and has been included in all WiFi certified equipment since 2006. WEP could be broken but would anyone want to hack your network when so many are wide open?

Mike

Sorry, I believe they are all vulnerable, and I was a network admin and instructor for too long. I can't bring myself to use technology I can't trust. I admit I am being anal and silly, but I can't help myself. :-)

Mike Henderson
02-06-2010, 4:01 PM
Sorry, I believe they are all vulnerable, and I was a network admin and instructor for too long. I can't bring myself to use technology I can't trust. I admit I am being anal and silly, but I can't help myself. :-)
ANY encryption is vulnerable but good encryption will cost you a lot of time and money to break it. Unless you have some extremely valuable data on your network, no one is going to spend the time and money to break WPA2.

WPA2 is a pretty good system if used with care.

Most people use credit cards on the Internet, which is protected by an encryption system (when you access a secure site -https). I haven't heard of anyone stealing credit cards by breaking that encryption system and it's been around for a long time and is used perhaps a billion times per year (or more).

Mike

Greg Peterson
02-06-2010, 4:54 PM
Mike - Why try to hack a residential WPA2 encrypted network connection on the hunch there may be value there? Now hacking into a site that handles credit card transactions or bank accounts is an entirely different matter.

If one is going to decide which prospect offers the highest reward, a residential WPA2 connection doesn't pass the test.

I worry more about where my data ends up at than how it gets there.

Mike Henderson
02-06-2010, 5:27 PM
Mike - Why try to hack a residential WPA2 encrypted network connection on the hunch there may be value there? Now hacking into a site that handles credit card transactions or bank accounts is an entirely different matter.

If one is going to decide which prospect offers the highest reward, a residential WPA2 connection doesn't pass the test.

I worry more about where my data ends up at than how it gets there.
Amen - that's exactly the point I was trying to make.

Mike

paul cottingham
02-06-2010, 6:29 PM
Sorry, its just a privacy thing for me. Just like I have curtains on my bathroom, even tho' I don't have anything to hide, I still protect my privacy. There may be little chance of anyone hacking in, but I still don't want them to be able to. This is even though I run Linux as well, with no file sharing at all.

David G Baker
02-06-2010, 9:32 PM
My first wife's high speed Internet service is provided by her illegally taping into a neighbor's wireless service with out the neighbor's knowledge.
Knowing how easy it was for her to do the above makes me feel uneasy about going wireless.

Steve knight
02-06-2010, 9:37 PM
My first wife's high speed Internet service is provided by her illegally taping into a neighbor's wireless service with out the neighbor's knowledge.
Knowing how easy it was for her to do the above makes me feel uneasy about going wireless.

that's because by default it comes unsecure. I had trouble getting a secure wireless network working when I was using a pc. but I think that was the modem causing the routers to die. going to apple then getting a apple airport extreme made it easy to setup.

Bill Cunningham
02-06-2010, 11:35 PM
There are a bunch of them out there now, google IPTV and I'm sure you'll find some. Also, Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 can do this either via USB hard drive or wirelessly with a program called TVersity on your PC. PS3 can also function as a good Blue Ray player.

Thanks for the Tip on IPTV Ron.. I now have enough reading to keep me busy for weeks...