PDA

View Full Version : chair rail tenon question

harry boyer
02-01-2010, 5:48 PM
I'm making a chair similar to the centenial chair found at Popular mechanics. http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_journal/woodworking/1273301.html?page=1 The side rail tenons are cut at 9 degrees to the rail. Basically because the front and rear of the chair are different widths. I have a Delta mortiser and have been using my Grizzly 17 in. to make tenons. My basic idea was to use a wedge along the fence to cut the 9 degree angle and the miter guage to cut the tenon shoulder. The shoulders are 90 degrees - square to the leg. 9 and 81 are 90 . I'm just looking for a little imput as to my method and how you would solve this problem using the bandsaw rather than a table saw.

Thanks

Brent Ring
02-02-2010, 11:22 AM
Should not be alot different than the table saw, other than you will have to make all of the depth cuts with stops and use a miter guage on the bandsaw. You can even use the fence as a depth stop for the tenon depth as well. And the wedges work on the bandsaw as well. just make sure that they are long enough.

You might need an auxilliary table on the bandsaw for some more operating room.

harry boyer
02-02-2010, 8:01 PM
thanks brent. I'll be doing some experimenting tomorrow. I was planning on a long wedge to go along the fence. I also have a tapering jig that I use. I cut my leg tapers on the bandsaw. The shoulder work around will give me the most fits.
Just as an aside. The readers here would laugh if they saw my tablesaw. I took the rails and fence off my Ryobi bt 3??? The motor had burnt out. Made a 2x4 table stand and have some kind of Ryobi bench top underneath my mdf table top. I only complain about my tablesaw because my $100 Ryobi router table has a 1/64th gap between the plate and the table surface. Yep no Wexley guages in my shop. I've made 4 desks, a desk/hutch entertainment center, couple of end tables alot of sawdust all out of Mahogany or African Mahogany. I was in desk mode and now have switched to chairs. Milled enough walnut for 4 chairs today. Saving the 50 yr old Mahogany til next. Not pics no work. I'll post some one of these days. Sorry for the kinda rant. I have my "tool empire" and as dear old Dad always said, "lets get to work". Art is in the doing!

Thanks again. Just hoping that I was headed in the right direction.