PDA

View Full Version : walnut vase

Kevin J Lalonde
02-01-2010, 2:20 PM
Turned this piece of walnut this weekend. 8"x9.5" finished with mylands friction polish. It's about 1/2" thick. My arms were killing me after hollowing out the inside, dont have any hollowing rigs. Just used my bowl gouge. . It was my first attempt at something like this so overall I give it about a 5 out of 10 for my first time. Whaddya think? Also turned his piece of Gingko. Just to see how thin I could get this piece its about an 1/8th". Gingko cuts so easy. Not much grain to it though, other than this spot where a branch entered. Thanks for looking.

David E Keller
02-01-2010, 3:44 PM
I like the walnut vase... looks kind of hazy in the photo like it needs to be buffed(no white diamond). I don't know anybody that doesn't like the look of walnut.

I've never turned ginko, but it's a pretty color... kinda reminds me of mulberry. I'd love to see some other pics of that piece from another perspective.

John Keeton
02-01-2010, 5:12 PM
What's not to like about a nice walnut vase!! Looks beautiful. The ginko doesn't do much for me - kind of bland, as you say - not much grain to it.

Allen Neighbors
02-01-2010, 5:47 PM
David, I think the haze is just the reflection of the countertop on which it is sitting.
Kevin, that's beautiful. I second David's request for additional pics of the Ginko. Well done!!

Steve Schlumpf
02-01-2010, 5:54 PM
Kevin - very nice work on the vase! Good form and finish!

Ginkgo looks interesting - not so much for the grain - but the lack of it! Would make for some great experiments with dye!

Looking forward to seeing additional photos of the Ginkgo!

Bernie Weishapl
02-01-2010, 6:11 PM
Very nice vase. Nice form and finish.

Baxter Smith
02-01-2010, 7:04 PM
Pretty Vase! Interesting grain with a nice finish.