PDA

View Full Version : New Grizz Band Saw

Gredo Goldenstein
10-23-2004, 7:25 AM
Hello Fellow Creekers-

I just wanted to let everyone know that based upon excelent advice of the Creek, a Grizzly 14" band saw has a home in my shop. The set-up was easy and it seems to cut very well. Where is the best place to get Timberwolf blades? I would lilke to try a 3 tpi 1/2" blade based on the article in the new FWW.

Thanks again to everyone!

Mike Cutler
10-23-2004, 8:07 AM
Nice Machine you got there Gredo. I believe that you can order the Timberwolf blade directly from Suffolk Machinery, or buy it retail from a Woodcraft store. If the 1/2" 3TPI Timberwolf doesn't meet your needs, try the 1/2" 3TPI Wood Slicer from Highland Hardware. I found this to be a great blade in my machine. Have Fun with your new toy.

Tyler Howell
10-23-2004, 8:45 AM
Not sure which part of our fair state you reside in, Seven Corners hardware has a great selection.

To hijack this thread, are those Lyons storage devices??? Great stuff$$$.;)

Tom LaRussa
10-23-2004, 9:55 AM
Hi Gredo,

Nice saw! Sorta looks like mine. :D

For Timberwolf blades, go to http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/

Jim Becker
10-23-2004, 9:56 AM
Congratulations on the new saw, Gredo. A Mike mentioned buying Timberwolf direct from Suffolk is usually the most cost effective way to get them as you elminate the retail markup and can also take advantage of their buy x get one free offer. They also give great advice as to what blade configurations to buy based on how you plan on using the saw. You will need more than one blade and it's also a good idea to have an extra of the one you will likely use the most often...band saw blades are disposables and you know it will need replacement when you least can afford it...in the middle of a weekend job! Hello, Murphy??

Gredo Goldenstein
10-23-2004, 10:45 AM
Not sure which part of our fair state you reside in, Seven Corners hardware has a great selection.

To hijack this thread, are those Lyons storage devices??? Great stuff$$$.;)

Tyler-

Those cabinets are Stanley-Vidmar. Load rated to 400 lbs. per drawer w/ full extension slides very nice to use and keep things organized. I have 3 cabinets 59" tall. Then there are 4 under the bench. Here's a pic of my workbench. 16' long, 37" tall and 36" deep. Solid oak 1 1/2" top.

Tyler Howell
10-23-2004, 1:43 PM
Gredo,

Looks like a great shop! We might have to get together for a cool one and tour. I'll bring the refreshments:cool:

James Carmichael
10-23-2004, 2:28 PM
Congrats, Gredo. Just one problem with your pic: that shop is way too clean :eek: Get busy with that BS and make some sawdust!

James Carmichael
10-23-2004, 2:31 PM
Congratulations on the new saw, Gredo. A Mike mentioned buying Timberwolf direct from Suffolk is usually the most cost effective way to get them as you elminate the retail markup and can also take advantage of their buy x get one free offer. They also give great advice as to what blade configurations to buy based on how you plan on using the saw. You will need more than one blade and it's also a good idea to have an extra of the one you will likely use the most often...band saw blades are disposables and you know it will need replacement when you least can afford it...in the middle of a weekend job! Hello, Murphy??

Do you use Timberwolves, Jim? If so, how do you like them, especially for resawing? I figured you for a Lennox man.

Gredo Goldenstein
10-23-2004, 8:42 PM
Congrats, Gredo. Just one problem with your pic: that shop is way too clean :eek: Get busy with that BS and make some sawdust!

James-

I know that's kind of a lousy picture (I was burning up some film in a disposable camera) but if the picture showed more detail you would see it was even cleaner than it appears in a grainy photo. To top it off, the shop was more dirty than usual when the pics were taken. Blame/Commend my mother for that. ;) I hate working in a dirty shop and spend very little time searching for things.

John Miliunas
10-23-2004, 10:40 PM
Congrats on the new BS, Gredo! Always exciting getting a useful piece of equipment and, from what I've seen/read, a lot of folks are quite happy with that BS! :) Now, while I DO see some sawdust on it, don't forget to post pics of final products from it! :cool:

Mike Swindell
10-24-2004, 9:42 PM
Nice BS, I have had one for 6 months and have had no problems what so ever. I bought all my blades from www.woodcraftbands.com

These are all Lenox bimetal which give a great finish, average cost for 105" with the riser block was around $9 each. Get yourself a variety, 1/2" x 3TPI hook, 3/8"x can't remember and another 1/4" for tight work. I bought the high tension spring form Louis Iturra at the same time. I have yet to resaw any thing more than 8 " but the saw works fine, just take your time.

No comment on Suffolf blades, just a happy Lenox customer. depending on where you live. many saw sharpening shops will weld up their stock which is always a name brand, Lenox, Starrett, etc for surprisingly cheap.

I bought the Rockler mobile base and used 1/8" wall x 1.5"x1.5" square steel tubing for cross members, 12ft was maybe $15 as I recall. Works great.

Good Luck

Kent Cori
10-25-2004, 9:43 AM
Gredo,

I know you're going to love the new band saw. It is a great piece of machinery of equal or superior quality to its Taiwan competition. Given the greater number of features than the Delta or Jet and the significantly lower price, it is a steal! :D

As Jim Becker said, Suffolk Machinery is the place to buy your Timberwolf blades. Their help is invaluable when picking out blades. Just tell them the types of uses you'll likely see and they can set you up with all the blades you might need.

I assume you have decided not to get the riser block. If so, forge ahead. However, if you are going to get the riser block, you may want to do so now and buy the longer blades to start. Otherwise, you'll find yourself with a fair investment in blades that are too short.