PDA

View Full Version : TigerWood? Where to find?

Ron Bontz
02-01-2010, 10:26 AM
Any one know where a guy can find "Tiger Wood" to match flooring from "Ark" I have a large section of wall to put in a built in for an entertainment center. Floor to ceiling. They want it to match their hardwood flooring. I am looking in the St. Louis area. Thanks:)

Aaron Wingert
02-01-2010, 11:06 AM
Look online under the trade name "Tigerwood". It made a fairly brief appearance as a high-end decking material but I'm told that they had a heck of a time with staining and checking in ourdoor applications over time. It is comparable in price to ipe. It is also the same thing as goncalo alves or brazilian koa.

Ron Bontz
02-01-2010, 11:15 AM
Somehow I thought that would be the responses I would get.:) Thanks Aaron. I've been looking online. Sent out a couple of e-mails as well. I am usually a domestic hardwood kind of guy. I am almost afraid to see what this stuff will cost if I do find it.

Matt Meiser
02-01-2010, 11:26 AM
Pretty much my first thought as well. Maybe the wood will change its name to get away from the unfortunate circumstances it finds itself in.

jerry cousins
02-01-2010, 12:23 PM
try looking under the name goncalo alves
jerry

Ron Bontz
02-01-2010, 1:53 PM
Will probably go back to using it's other name. Brazilian Koa? Not much of a ring to it.:)

Mark Stutz
02-01-2010, 1:57 PM
Ron,
I'm pretty sure that Hibdon used to carry it. I haven't been there in a couple of years. Gary Hermann may be able to tell you when he finds this thread.

Mark

Ken Fitzgerald
As stated earlier....goncalo alves is also known as tiger wood.

Stephen Saar
I've actually been looking at using Tigerwood for awhile now and I think it's one of the prettier wood IMO. Luckily everywhere near me (Atlanta) carries it, but I also found advantagelumber.com and while I haven't ordered from them yet, they look like a pretty decent company, and I like the fact that list the prices on their website.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-01-2010, 3:19 PM
Folks,

We are not going to allow comments/jokes/puns etc. about Tiger Woods the pro golfer.

Please refrain from same.

Thank you.

Ron Bontz
02-01-2010, 5:38 PM
Ken, I was just speaking to someone at a hardwood place. It seems there is also a Tigerwood from the Peru area. Says it is distinctly different looking. So far there seems to be at least 4 names for it I'm told. I am waiting to get a call back on the price of this stuff.

Brian D Anderson
02-01-2010, 7:18 PM
I think Advantage lumber carries it for decking/flooring (edit: sorry, missed Stephens note above. Check out their website). They seem to be a large online retailer of that as well as Ipe.

And I too think it's pretty. I recently made a step stool out of it for my wife/son. It's a really heavy/dense wood by the way . . .

http://www.jfreitasphotography.com/Temp/Jesse_Stepstool_06.jpg

-Brian

Bruce Page
02-01-2010, 7:25 PM
Brian, nice stool. Great pic.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-01-2010, 8:18 PM
Beautiful stool Brian!

Ron Bontz
02-02-2010, 10:48 AM
Brian, Is that a natural finish or stained? Thanks.:)

Brian D Anderson
02-02-2010, 11:19 AM
Brian, Is that a natural finish or stained? Thanks.:)

That's natural. Behlen's Rock Hard Varnish on it.

Here it is pre-finish:

http://www.jfreitasphotography.com/Temp/IMG_8928.jpg

http://www.jfreitasphotography.com/Temp/IMG_8929.jpg

-Brian

Ron Bontz
02-02-2010, 12:08 PM
As it turns out a place about 45 min. from my house has some for about $8.00 a board ft. ranging from 8' to 12' lengths. Not too bad I don't think considering it's coming from S. America. Shhh, I hear my cutters starting to sob. "Oh woe is we" "We're gonna need resharpened":D Well maybe it won't be too bad on the carbide cutters.:)