PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
02-01-2010, 8:49 AM
1 Feb 2010

Good Morning,
Happy February and yes, we have snow and ice...and enough snow to feed the family snow ice cream yesterday.

Nothing from me except I worked day and night across the entire weekend for the day job.

Pretty boring report eh?!!

That's it for me...so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Dave Gaul
02-01-2010, 10:20 AM
Made a ZCI for my TS. Worked on the Bakugan (kids toys) display case for my step-son-to-be's birthday present. Used a rail and stile bit set for the first time.. have to practice that a little more!!! Spent most of the weekend in the shop.. very productive dust making weekend!

Dale Osowski
02-01-2010, 10:21 AM
It was a busy and cold weekend milling logs. Milled 3 maple, 2 walnut and 1 ash log. Feeling a little sore today.

Laurie Brown
02-01-2010, 10:34 AM
We got buried under another foot of snow this weekend, too cold to work in the unheated shop, so I spent the weekend cooking and washing dishes. Bleh!

Dan Gill
02-01-2010, 10:39 AM
I managed to make two cuts and plane one board before the cold ran me back inside.

Rob Young
02-01-2010, 10:44 AM
I recently acquired a new-old-stock Record #044C plough plane with all 10 of the stock blades present. Very happy. But the crummy little plastic pouch that holds the blades isn't going to cut it in the shop.

So decided to make a blade box. A friend showed me one he made for his #55 blades so I borrowed the idea for the interior holder block. The block is not glued in, but instead has a slight taper so it wedges at the bottom.

Feeling too lazy to dig through all my stock I just pulled out some pine. Everybody says don't cut dovetails in soft pine, and for good reason. It crumbles and can be rather frustrating. Sharp tools help. So being lazy isn't always a good way to start out.

However in the end it worked out. Another chance to play with my new bag of hide glue and cobbled together glue pot (small electric kettle from Target plus mason jar).

Other than using the table saw to rip and cross cut to rough size, all other dimensioning and work was hand tools. All sorts of good practice. If it self destructs after a while, no big deal. I'll just be less lazy about stock selection and use some hardwood. :)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4024/4317858204_5396c32c05.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4033/4317857808_58f2c617fe.jpg

JohnT Fitzgerald
02-01-2010, 10:58 AM
Not a lot of shop time this weekend - which seems to be a recurring theme these days :( however, I did manage to get some in last night. I had started a renovation of all the posts and railings on my deck last summer but only got half of them done. I want to get the other ones finished before the nice weather rolls around, so I can get them installed and not have to worry about them for the rest of the summer. I'm re-making the post sleeves out of Azek, so they won't rot like the old ones. I made the boxes and face-frames for the remaining 5 posts, and tonight I'll start attaching the frames to the boxes. After that they'll need to have profiles routed and then be painted to match the house trim, but I don't expect to get to that till next weekend.

John Shaffner
02-01-2010, 11:05 AM
With temps in the minus teens at night, it was too much for my woodstove to heat the shop up through the day:(. Today, I finally am going to spend some time out there after it does warm up a bit.

BUT, I did pick up a new tool (kinda) yesterday. I got a new ASUS laptop:D. My ancient Dell desktop has seen its' better days and would barely run (512k RAM/60G HD). SWMBO even picked up half the tab for it out of her tax check:D:D! Tool? Maybe...I might not be here without it!

John

Jim O'Dell
02-01-2010, 11:34 AM
I walked into the shop and took 3 pictures of the 4 tools my Dad gave me at Christmas that I hadn't posted until yesterday. Does that count? Too cold here too, but not in the teens much less the minus teens. Jim.

Jeremy Killingbeck
02-01-2010, 11:47 AM
I was able to get 28 - 1/2" x 4" mortise cut for my night stands legs on Sat. It was going well until I stripped the teeth off of the piece that holds the arm to the vertical gear drive. After some improvising we were able to get it working again so I could finish the remaining mortises.

Just a note to anyone that has the Powermatic bench top mortise. The piece that connects the arm to the vertical gear drive is made of cast iron & breaks easily. I found out the hard way.

Bob Haskett
02-01-2010, 11:53 AM
I got my shop DC plumbing complete, the DC setup, the Thien Separator built, and the TS hooked up to the ducting. Hopefully this weekend I will get the router table hooked in to the system, and get started on my Flip Top planer station.

Will Boulware
02-01-2010, 11:59 AM
Had a fair amount of snow-related problems this weekend (I live in the south. Why was I snowed in? It was bad enough that I'm starting to believe in hockey. Maybe it's not just a Canadian myth...:confused:)

That being said, I did put in some work on my open-top tool tote. It's my first woodworking project (first non-construction related one, anyway), and I've finally gotten to the finishing stage. Quite the humbling experience. I've built decks, framed walls, and done numerous remodeling projects, but "fine" woodworking is a whole new ballgame. Numerous evenings of work have yeilded me a treasure that looks like a 5th grade art project. All it has to do is hold my meager collection of hand tools, so it should perform quite well, but compared to the amazing work I see on here on a regular basis, I won't be posting any pics. :D I cleaned up the edges, hit a few spots on the box with wood filler, and prepped the handle for stain. I also put the first coat of "gunstock" stain on it. Entirely too red, but it should darken up with a few more applications. More to come tonight. Probably primer the box for paint and stain the handle some more. Lots of fun!

Dave Gaul
02-01-2010, 12:16 PM
Made a coping/crosscut sled for the router table, based on a WOOD mag design... HATE IT!!! it uses the 500lb toggle clamps to hold the piece down, once you engage the clamps, the WHOLE sled bows up in the middle! Gonna have to modify it to make the base more sturdy

Wayne Hendrix
02-01-2010, 12:16 PM
Two trips to Woodcraft, one to get parts to work in shop and one to pick up a wallet that got left during the first trip. Wouldnt be bad but Woodcraft is an hour away. My wife did mamage to get one pen turned and I got several blanks drilled and glued and made some UMHW plastic jaws for my vice. Next weekend should be alot better, we already have the stuff to work.

Rod Sheridan
02-01-2010, 12:35 PM
Made a coping/crosscut sled for the router table, based on a WOOD mag design... HATE IT!!! it uses the 500lb toggle clamps to hold the piece down, once you engage the clamps, the WHOLE sled bows up in the middle! Gonna have to modify it to make the base more sturdy

Or adjust the clamps so they don't put as much force on the work piece......Regards, Rod.

Rod Sheridan
02-01-2010, 12:39 PM
Diann and I went to the wood show in Hamilton Ontario.

Diann bought some books, so based upon her selection, I expect to see some Gargoyles sprouting from the house this summer.

Regards, Rod.

Joe Mioux
02-01-2010, 1:46 PM
fixed a couple of mis-cut tenons

milled, dimensioned and glued up a couple panels for a china hutch that i am working on.

joe

Chad Easterling
02-01-2010, 8:06 PM
Spent the weekend with wife in a cabin on Monte Sano Mountain in north Alabama. Sat by the wood burning fireplace and watched the sleet, frozen rain and snow most of the weekend......

Jon Todd
02-01-2010, 8:50 PM
I spent Friday Saturday and Sunday ANd Monday in the shop building a Cherry Cabinet for my Office.
I have my DVD's, Woodworking Books and magazines, And Office supplies in it. Im pleased with 99% of it.
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/1853/DSC00930.JPG

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/1853/DSC00932.JPG

Joe Shinall
02-01-2010, 9:10 PM
Rearranged the shop Saturday and went through some drawers to declutter. Found a solid oak 10 drawer workbench with 9 inch vise on craigslist down in Jacksonville and made the 2 hour trip down to pick it up. While I was there, made my first trip to Woodcraft and bought some bowl blanks and took a look at my new bandsaw that I will one day own. :rolleyes:

Shawn Pixley
02-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Spent some time completing a box for my MIL 70th birthday. got is assembled dry fit hinges and a coat of BLO before supper Sunday. Need to finish this week.

BOB OLINGER
02-02-2010, 9:36 AM
Jon -Nice job on the cabinet !!!!!!

I spend about 6 1/2 hrs. straight ripping, resawing, and then running the stock through my moulding machine to make more shutter slats for the plantation shutter job for one of our daughters. I got about half of the shutters made of red oak for my wife done before Christmas. Now, I've switched to these out of poplar. Once these are done, I'll switch back to the second half of oak for our house. Next on the poplar are milling the stiles and rails including pin holes in stiles. I started to take a few pictures and will attempt to post them in the future.

brian c miller
02-02-2010, 12:53 PM
I built the bottom half of the Fww "Best Ever Out Feed Table." I changed the dimensions, and dadoed everything instead of screwing it. It came out okay, pics soon to come.

I had 2 sheet of BB ply and 2 of Accuro Ply from BORG that curled up like a potato chip after it was cut making the glue up tricky. Gonna try to take the other 2 sheet back and see if I can return them.

This weekend I plan on putting the a "Dead Flat Assembly Table" on top of it and adding some casters & leving feet. I have a small space and not room for both.

Some time I'll get around to making the drawers.

Dave Wagner
02-02-2010, 1:02 PM
Didn't get much woodworking done, been busy renovating the upstairs bath (A bit of construction skills required), but will be building the face frame and doors for the linen closet (end of tub, plumbing access point) and putting up some new wainscoting. Plus it's just bit cold in the garage, we had -2 degrees on Sunday Morning.....brrr.

Brian Tymchak
02-02-2010, 2:28 PM
I've always wanted to build a "real" wood-working bench. So, Thanksgiving weekend, I finally started in on the 21st Century workbench from PWW October, 2008 (I think). This project has a lot of 8/4 ash laminated together. For the last 8+ weekends I've been ripping, jointing, planing, and glueing up 8' long pieces of 8/4 ash for the split tops, legs, stretchers and lower rails. Slow but steady progress. This last weekend marked the :D:D final :D:D lamination glue ups for the lower rails. This project will certainly force you to learn how to handle long heavy pieces of lumber and it sure makes a lot of wood chips! And I think I have carpel tunnel from cranking clamps on and off.

My plans are (always subject to change) that next weekend will be final dimensioning of the tops and maybe even get to cutting some joints. The tops are a couple of 98" x 12" x 3.75" chunks of wood (130 lbs each) and gettin' those things through my bench top planer should be a lot of fun.

Brian

Rob Lindquist
02-03-2010, 4:20 PM
This was my weekend (2 weekend) project. My wife wanted a table that she couldn't find with slate top to fit under a mirror next to her Christmas present, which was a pool table.

The pool table was black with some stained lighter wood on the rails and the ball on the ball and talon legs. I don't normally make black painted wood projects but the closest table she found was $650 and it wasn't large enough. So on Saturday last week I made the table, Monday night I applied the tiles and painted it Thursday and Friday night. Saturday of this weekend I grouted it brought it inside.

Two drawers for racks, table brush chalk etc., Nice sealed top for the drinks! She is more than happy, and I get to get back on the full kitchen I need to build for our cabin.

Various wood used from Alder to Poplar.

Rob Lindquist
02-03-2010, 4:29 PM
Here is my weekend to come, and many more. I am building a full kitchen cabinets for our cabin, the island is done less the finishing. I have all the face frame stuff cut as of last night, all face frames should be on tonight depending if I have a few drinks after archery league or not. Scratch that, I won't work on this until tomorrow! First picture is the island, second is the carcasses of the base cabinets strewn about the shop. All knotty alder.