PDA

View Full Version : Mimosa rough turned bowl

Terry Gerros
02-01-2010, 1:46 AM
OK. So I just received this bowl blank on Friday thinking I can't possibly do anything with this yet, but I couldn't resist anymore. It is hard to take a decent pic with the cell phone, but just wanted to share this with all ya'll. Got this blank from Mike Smith in NC (www.easternncwoodworkers.com/msmith/woodblocks.htm (http://www.easternncwoodworkers.com/msmith/woodblocks.htm)) After talking with Mike he suggested that I boil it in water for a couple hours, let the water cool. Said drying time would be increased 50%. Can't wait for the finished product.

John Keeton
02-01-2010, 6:28 AM
Terry, I just spoke with Mike on Saturday, and he was talking about the mimosa tree he had gotten. When I bought a load of blanks from him about 3 weeks ago, he mentioned the tree then, as well.

Certainly is a nice piece of wood, and I bet it turns easily. Never thought of mimosa as a pretty wood - boy, was I wrong!

Steve Schlumpf
02-01-2010, 7:19 AM
Pretty wood! Looking forward to seeing the finished version!

Baxter Smith
02-01-2010, 7:34 AM
Will be glad to see it finished. I cut a large one down as a favor for a neighbor a few years ago. Hauled it off to my brush pile and burned it. Regarded it as a trash tree. Lets see how bad you can make me feel now!:)

Roland Martin
02-01-2010, 7:49 AM
Terry, Mimosa is new to me, living in Maine. Is this a hardwood? Really nice colors, ought to make a great bowl. Can't wait to see it finished. May the bowl gods be with you.

Bernie Weishapl
02-01-2010, 10:32 AM
Boy that is some pretty wood. Can't wait to see it finished.

Terry Gerros
02-01-2010, 11:49 AM
Well I have to admit, I didn't go for the boiling that Mike recommended, but coated the bowl with anchor seal. I am going to make myself wait a while before I finish turning it....don't want to get in a hurry and end up with a lampshade....like I haven't done that before......

Roland, as for hardwood or softwood...it is classified as a hardwood.

I found this on the web and cut and pasted it from www.scrollsawer.com/reviews/mimosa.html (http://www.scrollsawer.com/reviews/mimosa.html)

"While scientists classify mimosa as a hardwood–it is a deciduous tree that loses its leaves each fall–it resembles pine in density and hardness.
While mimosa and pine are similar in hardness, mimosa cuts better because it lacks the troublesome sap and pitch of pine. The contrasting colors of grain make mimosa suitable for fretwork and intarsia. I recommend ¼" or thicker stock for fretwork to minimize breakouts.
Mimosa can be fuzzier than other hardwoods and reacts to sanding like most softer hardwoods, such as basswood. I sand the wood with progressively finer sandpaper up to 220 grit."

David E Keller
02-01-2010, 3:53 PM
Very pretty... I've turned a little of this, and I found it quite pleasant to turn. The trees don't get very large around here, so big blanks are hard to come by.

Baxter, shame on you. You'll now know to try and turn everything first then burn it if it doesn't turn out well. It burns faster after you turn it into curls anyway.:D

Donny Lawson
02-01-2010, 9:18 PM
At my work place we dispose of trees all summer and have them turnned into mulch but after the past few weeks of learning to make bowls there will be alot of that wood making it's way to my house.I hope to do something with this soon.

David E Keller
02-01-2010, 9:24 PM
Alright Donny, that's a sneaky gloat.

Donny Lawson
02-01-2010, 9:43 PM
It's about 300 plus pounds worth.Where do I start????????
Donny

Terry Gerros
02-01-2010, 11:18 PM
Donny,

You start by sending me a 50 pound block of that burl. I think that is the perfect place to start.

Terry