PDA

View Full Version : New miter stand

James Henderson
01-31-2010, 10:21 PM
Just finished a miter saw stand for the shop. This stand is based on some plans in Fine Woodworking late last year. I substituted the Incra tracks for the orginally-specified Kreg miter tracks, and cuts appear accurate to < .005". It was very easy to build, but working at my glacier-like pace it took me three weekends to complete.

Images at ftp://henderson.dynalias.org/Public/MiterSawStand/

--
Jim

Jim Rimmer
01-31-2010, 10:28 PM
Sounds like a nice stand but the photos took so long to load I gave up. Can you post a few key pics in your thread?

Mr. Jeff Smith
02-01-2010, 1:03 AM
Nice! I was just reading that article and am planning on making the stand as a summer project. I even have the same SCMS as you, so this really "brought it to life" for me.

Nice work.

Monte Milanuk
02-01-2010, 2:02 AM
I too was looking at the article - reprinted in the recent Tools n Shops issue - because my Makita 10" SCMS is currently on a Ridgid MSUV stand. The MSUV stand is not a bad jobsite stand, but for around the shop I keep finding myself wishing for better material support off to either side along with longer fences, adjustable stop blocks, etc. that just aren't there on the stand I have. The FWW miter stand looks like it has most of what I'd want. I see you skipped the enclosed shop-vac; what are you using for dust collection (can't tell if that black hose is just a long shop-vac system or from a dust collector), and do you find a portable SCMS would benefit from some kind of hood behind it like the Big Gulp or Downdrafter hoods on the market?

TIA,

Monte

James Henderson
02-01-2010, 7:40 AM
I plumbed 4" PVC along the East wall to feed the band and table saws, the planer and jointer, then up and over to service the miter saw, workbench and sander. A 2 HP 1550 CFM dust collector retrofitted with a separator and cartidge filter http://www.wynnenv.com/35A_series_cartridge_kit.htm provides the vacuum.

I make great use of the DC on every project, but it is particularly-handy in the vicinity of the miter saw which is across from the workbench. Having an inlet above the workbench supports use of the Kreg K3, the Domino or vacuum plates.

The stock Milwaukee dust bag does a good job. But, when plugged into the DC, dust extraction is excellent. The 15' hose from my Bosch sander provides ample length to allow repositioning the miter station, if using really long stock. I've had the Milwaukee for about a year and I am very pleased with it. I bought it to put in large crown moulding, but it's handy for general shop use as well.

Since my shop is in a garage, I am on a quest to maximize floor space. Another reason why I re-purposed the space under the miter stand as storage. I need to build mobile storage under the drill press and assembly table, then some shelves under the table saw. I expect to complete this on January 7, 2020, working at my present pace.

James Henderson
02-01-2010, 7:49 AM
Jeff -

To accommodate the Milwaukee, I simply widened the cabinet top to 33 1/2". There is sufficient extra raw material on the two sheets of plywood specified for this project to support this change.

I used pocket screws on all piece parts instead of the specified drywall screws to hide the joinery. I think it makes the cabinet a little more attractive and I suspect it's actually faster than drilling and countersinking all of the holes.

Anthony Scott
02-01-2010, 8:40 AM
It was very easy to build, but working at my glacier-like pace it took me three weekends to complete.

Nice job, three weekends is not glacier-like... believe me.

Baxter Smith
02-01-2010, 9:04 AM
Very nice. I read the same article but only got as far as figuring out the required dimensions for my makita 10"cms before Christmas projects got in the way.

Mr. Jeff Smith
02-01-2010, 11:57 AM
Jeff -

To accommodate the Milwaukee, I simply widened the cabinet top to 33 1/2". There is sufficient extra raw material on the two sheets of plywood specified for this project to support this change.

I used pocket screws on all piece parts instead of the specified drywall screws to hide the joinery. I think it makes the cabinet a little more attractive and I suspect it's actually faster than drilling and countersinking all of the holes.

Thanks for the data, will come in useful.

Garth Keel
02-01-2010, 12:22 PM
I think, since seeing how well yours turned out, I'll add this to my shop projects list.

Jim Rimmer
02-01-2010, 1:16 PM
That is a really nice stand. I am in a crowded shop area and am looking at making more of my tools mobile. That looks like a good solution for one of them.

Harry Hagan
02-01-2010, 2:40 PM
James,

Did somebody get a good deal recently on a Milwaukee SCMS?

Mine’s still in the box but I’d like to build a portable stand. Do you think that Incra system would be suitable for a portable application as well?

James Henderson
02-01-2010, 2:53 PM
Unfortunately, I paid > $600, which was the best Amazon price for the saw about a year ago. So I voiced a few, sharp expletives when I saw that some users were buying them ~$300 last week on the Deals forum.

I knew that the Milwaukee would probably reduce in price, since I purchase it shortly after its introduction. However, I thought I got a good deal on the DW735 planer for $420 last year. Seems like virtually every machine tool I bought last year is lower-cost now.

Buy high, sell low! Wait, that's not right...

The stand has wheels and readily rolls around the shop. But, it'd never qualify as portable. I have a portable metal miter stand that I used to hold the saw when I installed moulding last year. But, it is really nothing more than a metal skeleton. I didn't see a simple means of adding a track to it, so I elected to build the FW stand. But, I'll store the portable metal stand in case I build some remote project.

Harry Hagan
02-01-2010, 4:46 PM
James,

I checked out Incra’s track and stop system. It should work if I can construct a lightweight torsion box for the extension wings.

Don Whitten
02-01-2010, 5:32 PM
Nice job, I think I'll have to build one myself.

James Henderson
02-01-2010, 6:07 PM
The only significant criticism I have of the design is that the cabinet is a little too low (for my taste). I'd find the saw more comfortable to use if it were 3-4" higher off the floor. And this would have the secondary benefit that the 36" Incra tracks would not have to be shortened to 33", thus providing even more range to the wings.

But I don't think this change could be accomplished without requiring another sheet of plywood. I'd have to enter the modified design into Cutlist to be sure.

Good, fast, cheap - pick any two.