PDA

View Full Version : Garage Shop Owner – How do you deal with your flammables?

Rich Johnson
01-31-2010, 9:07 PM
Just a weekend warrior building my garage woodworking shop. Looking for ideas on how to store the flammables that go with a garage as well as a woodshop. Pics would be awesome. But looking for ideas since I am in the construction phase.
Thanks in Advance…

Logan William
01-31-2010, 10:00 PM
I keep my eye on craigslist for a used flammable cabinet, haven't been quick enough yet for the ones that I can afford

Todd Franks
01-31-2010, 10:18 PM
I built this (http://americanwoodworker.com/userdocs/articles/200009/shopsolutions/main.html)for my workshop. Wish I had a one of those metal flammable cabinets but they are really pricey.

Jeff Nolan
01-31-2010, 10:33 PM
I have a metal supply cabinet (not a full fledged flammables cabinet) that I use exclusively for stuff that is hazardous in this regard.

Over the years I have learned from others that this is something you take seriously and a cabinet is but one step. I regularly go through that cabinet to ensure that nothing is leaking, the caps and lids are tight, and old products get disposed of properly.

I take a Sharpie and mark all my cans with a date of purchase so I know how old stuff is. I also don't pack too much stuff in there, which helps me see what is in the cabinet with nothing more than glance. I like the idea of putting a sign outside my shop notifying firefighters of what's in there (saw that in Todd's reply) but I'm not sure how much good that would do unless is a big bright sign in an obvious location.

On a related note, this is one reason why I switched over to waterborne finishes for most of my work. I still have some oils and a range of solvents but the good news is that I use less stuff, a lot less that is volatile and the nastiest is probably mineral spirits.

Ray Newman
01-31-2010, 10:43 PM
I keep very little flammables on hand as 99.9% of the time, I use water-based. And if I use a flammable/oil based, I buy as little as possible and ususally recycle the remaining. Since I have a detached shop, I have not considered it. Then if I did worry about it, I would feel that I needed to worry about the two propane tanks close by and the Black Powder that I store in the shop. tSill, it is something to think about.

But I know of a Fellow Woodworker, who bought and old refigerator, took out the motor, compressor, etc., painted it red with a warning sign for the door, and stores all flammabales, solvents, etc., in it.

David Hostetler
02-01-2010, 10:10 AM
I have not implemented it yet, BUT... I am planning on building a low profile (below fence height) "Shed" per se, to store my lawn equipment, and flamables in. I figure if I lose $1K in mower, weed eater, edger, blower and structure, that is FAR better than burning down the house...

I presently keep a little bit of flamables on hand. Gas, 2 stroke gas (the straight gas can is empty, the 2 stroke needs to be...), stain, BLO, and Urethane. I could use a smallish flamables cabinet, but they are SPENDY! I still want to keep my lawn & garden stuff out in a shed, but would like to keep my finishes close by... Anyone know where a smallish flamables cabinet can be had without breaking the bank?