PDA

View Full Version : Can you glue a joint that has a poly finish?

Matthew Curtis
01-31-2010, 8:30 PM
Can you glue a joint that has a poly finish?

Frank Drew
01-31-2010, 8:48 PM
Not satisfactorily; that is, you might get epoxy or some such to stick, but the glue joint wouldn't be comparable to a normal glued up joint (invisible).

Matthew Curtis
01-31-2010, 9:01 PM
So no tight bond to poly.

David Christopher
01-31-2010, 9:04 PM
only time that titebond will stick to poly is when it is on you table top...LOL

if you cant sand off the poly, use epoxy

Paul Ryan
01-31-2010, 10:42 PM
My outfeed/woork bench table is coated in poly, glue scrapes right off. I don't think it would have much holding strength.

Tom Veatch
02-01-2010, 1:17 AM
If you need or want to prefinish the parts before glueup, mask off the area you need for gluing. The common types of wood glue do not develop good bond strength except with bare wood.

Curt Harms
02-01-2010, 8:29 AM
If you need or want to prefinish the parts before glueup, mask off the area you need for gluing. The common types of wood glue do not develop good bond strength except with bare wood.

I agree with Tom. If you mask off the surfaces to be glued then finish, the fact that glue won't stick to the finish becomes an asset, not a liability. Prefinishing is helpful with interior and hard to reach areas.

Russ Filtz
02-01-2010, 8:39 AM
If you don't sand it off and decide to use epoxy, at least rough up the poly areas with sandpaper for the epoxy to grip better.

Lee Schierer
02-01-2010, 10:11 AM
I think the urethane glues stick pretty well to poly finish. Even so you would need to rough up the surface before trying to glue it to get better bond strength. Also to reduce foaming don't dampen the joint, there is enough moisture in the air to cure the glue..

I know PVA glue will not stick to poly as it doesn't stick to my saw extension table.