PDA

View Full Version : Siberian Elm NE

Curt Fuller
01-31-2010, 7:55 PM
I consider myself to be the luckiest guy alive to be married to my wife. Most of the time anyway. I brought this in from the garage and asked her "what do ya think?". She said, without the slightest pause or hesitation, "Looks like a urinal to me!" So it is what it is. It's some Siberian "piss" elm, about 7" x 7" with a foot that most people won't like. The finish is one coat of wipe on poly, one layer of kiwi brown shoe polish, and then another coat of wipe on poly. What do you guys think, and don't worry about hurting my feelings anymore than the love of my life already did.

David Christopher
01-31-2010, 8:05 PM
Curt, I kinda like your urinal. LOL

John Keeton
01-31-2010, 8:06 PM
Well, aside from the wife's comment, my first thoughts were "a glass half full" (can't get any fuller!), or "my cup runneth over."

But, honestly, it is kind of attractive in a different sort of way. The elm is very nice, and the shoe polish really brought out the grain even more than elm normally shows. Overall, I like it. I would have thought it to be much larger - it has a "manly" look to it - then, that could be the urinal thing, too!!:D

Steve Schlumpf
01-31-2010, 8:07 PM
Curt - Thanks! Brand new computer and I just sprayed my adult beverage all over the screen! A urinal...... yup, thanks Hon! That was great!

Looks like it would make a great ergonomic M&M dispenser! Good looking wood! Cool form and I like the slightly dovetailed foot!

Keep them coming! Best of luck with your show this coming Friday!

Robert McGowen
01-31-2010, 8:13 PM
I don't think that it is your best work, but I am with Steve. It looks like it would be a kind of cool candy holder with the built in dispenser side.

Sean Hughto
01-31-2010, 8:26 PM
I like it. Even the foot. The interior curve is especially appealing.

It must have been an adventure to turn with all that air.

I never would have thought of a urinal. It's more evocative of an egg shell to me.

Jim Silva
01-31-2010, 8:32 PM
I like it! (Mind the splinters though...:eek:)

Bernie Weishapl
01-31-2010, 8:55 PM
LOL I just spewed coffee all over my screen and keyboard. Urinal? Anyway I like it Curt.

David E Keller
01-31-2010, 8:58 PM
Your wife and mine would be fast friends... Put it in the bathroom... that will teach her to be a little more constructive with her criticism.:D

Baxter Smith
01-31-2010, 9:23 PM
My first thought was that it looked like one of those modern swivel chairs that you just sink down into. Your wifes interpretation has more pizzaz though.;) Our wives must have a lot in common when it comes to telling it like it is.
Love the grain, color and curves! Shoepolish? Learn something new all the time here!

Steve Vaughan
01-31-2010, 9:31 PM
Beautiful piece!

charlie knighton
02-01-2010, 9:22 AM
they just cut down a 200 year old elm somewhere in new jersey, there are a lot of different organizations that will work with and study this tree, they are looking for info on the year with no summer

Scott Lux
02-01-2010, 9:37 AM
I like it a lot. My wife said, "Eh."

steven carter
02-01-2010, 11:21 AM
Curt,

My fist thought was a catcher's cup, so your wife's comment may not be so bad after all:D. I do like the foot though, it lifts the cup, er I mean bowl up, so it can be better appreciated.

Steve

Roger Alexander
02-01-2010, 12:00 PM
I like it foot and all. Oh I'm having one of them trees cout down in my yard today. some like elm wood to turn and others do not. I'm one that likes it. So for more bowls now. I today call it the making of a bowl here.

Hilel Salomon
02-01-2010, 12:53 PM
I think it is neat and wouldn't change it. At one point, I had a bowl where a large piece just came off leaving it somewhat like that, though perhaps less pronounced. My son called it a shaving cup. Either way, it is a conversation piece and is fine.
Hilel.

Jon Finch
02-01-2010, 1:10 PM
Very nice.

Did you do anything to "clean up" the edge?

Steve Campbell
02-01-2010, 3:31 PM
Curt I like it very much. I even like the foot. I think it would make a great candy dish as well. Just don't use it as a urinal first........

Steve

Curt Fuller
02-01-2010, 7:13 PM
Thanks to everyone for all the comments. I kept thinking about my wife's comment all day and decided I ought to ask her what she's been doing in the mens restroom to know what a urninal looks like. But then I decided maybe I out to just let it drop;).

Did you do anything to "clean up" the edge?

Jon, the bark had fallen off this piece of wood and there were some worm tracks in the outside layer of wood. I sanded them smooth which bared some of the outer growth rings along the edge. The brown shoe polish got into that so it makes it look kind of dirty.

Brian Effinger
02-01-2010, 11:04 PM
I consider myself to be the luckiest guy alive to be married to my wife. Most of the time anyway. I brought this in from the garage and asked her "what do ya think?". She said, without the slightest pause or hesitation, "Looks like a urinal to me!" So it is what it is.
Wow, that's brutal! :D Hehehehe. I guess she's not in to contemporary artwork? That's what it reminds me of, anyway.

I kinda like it. I really like what the shoe polish did for the grain. It's true - you do learn something new everyday. :)

Brian

Ken Glass
02-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Curt,
I think it really striking. I like it a lot. I believe the foot is perfect for it and adds to the abstract dimension to the piece. I also think it shows your you are willing to jump from a comfortable position to try different things. Very Well done!!!

Allen Neighbors
02-02-2010, 5:00 PM
Best looking urinal I've ever seen. :D
Truthfully, a work of art. Put an outrageous price on it, and take it to your next craft show. Unless you decide to keep it, of course... it will fetch and attractive price!!
Well done! Isn't Elm beautiful wood? I also like the brown shoe polish thing. :)