PDA

View Full Version : What is BLO

Ray Bell
01-31-2010, 6:00 PM
Ok, did the search thing and didn't come up with an answer. What exactly does BLO stand for?

Thanks,
Ray

Steve Schlumpf
01-31-2010, 6:01 PM
Boiled Linseed Oil

Sean Hughto
01-31-2010, 6:08 PM
It's linseed oil that has had chemical driers added so that it cures more quickly. It is a nice finish in that you can build up coats which yield a soft but lusterous in the wood finish which is nice to handle (especially good for gun stocks, pistol grips, plane totes and knobs, etc.). It imparts a bit of an amber hue to the wood, which has a pleasing warmth, though some would like a water clear finish in some applications.

Dave Ogren
01-31-2010, 6:26 PM
Sean makes the BLO sound like a wonderful finishing product. How does it compare to AO. Can a little varnish or ?? be added to the BLO to create a great finish or ??? I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I would really like to know.

Thanks and Happy Turning,

Dave

Ken Fitzgerald
01-31-2010, 6:30 PM
BLO is not a great finish.

I use it on almost all of my turnings and furniture to add contrast to the grain patterns and give the wood a warm feeling.

I let it cure and then cover it with something else....lacquer....dewaxed shellac....poly.......

I always use BLO ....allow it to cure......then dewaxed shellac.....then either lacquer or poly for the final finish.

Sean Hughto
01-31-2010, 6:39 PM
On something like a tool handle or workbench, BLO is a good renewable treatment. It is not like a finish, that is applied once for the life of the piece. It is an oil, and hence needs to be reapplied over and over for the life of the the piece (hence the old saying - "once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year, and then every year"). On something like a cocbolo plane tote or a walnut rifle stock, scores of application over time, do indeed make for a nice "finish" in my opinion. For a cabinet on the other hand, laquer, shellac, varnish, etc., are much better options.

Check the knob and tote on my 5 for an example of cocbolo after nothing but BLO for dozens of applications (when I have some on a rag, I look around the shop for what else needs a wipe):

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3274/3029105774_d55b79555e_o.jpg

Bernie Weishapl
01-31-2010, 7:37 PM
Sean makes the BLO sound like a wonderful finishing product. How does it compare to AO. Can a little varnish or ?? be added to the BLO to create a great finish or ??? I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I would really like to know.

Thanks and Happy Turning,

Dave

Dave Antique Oil is a linseed based oil, as is Tried & True Danish oil or their varnish oil are some that are linseed oil based varnishes.

John Keeton
01-31-2010, 7:57 PM
Dave, a lot of folks use a "home brew" of equal parts BLO, mineral spirits and varnish (not wiping varnish which is already thinned.)

Ray Bell
01-31-2010, 10:28 PM
ack, BLO= Boiled Linseed Oil. I should have known that. Thanks guys for the responses.

Ray

Jerome Hanby
02-01-2010, 10:31 AM
A substance intended to let you put in those late nights trying to finish Christmas projects that usually results in you speeding down the highway with a white knuckled grip on the steering wheel digging for disco music on the radio.