PDA

View Full Version : Firefox & Windows 7

Steve Schlumpf
01-31-2010, 5:55 PM
Finally upgraded my computer and find things have changed some since XP. I use Firefox as my browser and grabbed a few of my favorite sites and pulled them onto the desktop as shortcuts. So far so good.

I do not know if it is the recent Firefox upgrade or what but all my shortcuts now have the Firefox logo and not the original icons. In XP I could right-click the icon, click on properties and then click on Change Icon. I can do the same in Windows 7 except that when I click on change icon - there are no other icons to choose from except for Firefox.

I have clicked on other icons to try and find where windows is now hiding all the icons - but either the files are hidden and I can't find them or they do not exist!

I have been to the MS website and have not found anything that addresses this issue. Can anyone point me in the general direction of where to look on Windows 7 in order to find additional icons?

Thanks! I was fairly comfortable with XP but it will take me a few days to figure out how to get around in 7!

Tim Morton
01-31-2010, 6:18 PM
Not sure if this will help...but since windows 7 is similar to the max OS..

try right clicking on the shortcut and choose properties....for me i have an icon in the upper left corner...i can right click on the sawmill creek logo here and copy the logo...

then back to the "properties window" i can then selct the generic firefox logo and "paste" the sawmill creek logo into place.

not sure if this translates to the PC world or not...

Tony Joyce
01-31-2010, 7:07 PM
Not positive, but I think internet links will show the browser icon on the desk top. We have Vista at work and my links on the desktop have FireFox icons.

Steve Schlumpf
01-31-2010, 8:02 PM
Tim - the mini icon on the properties windows is also a Firefox icon. Tried to copy it anyway but it was not an option. Must be part of that difference thing between Win 7 and Mac.

Jim Becker
01-31-2010, 9:14 PM
Steve, previous versions of Windows kept a whole list of alternative icons in a dll file. Perhaps Win7 doesn't have that available anymore. Since I don't keep ANY icons on my desktop (and yes, I'm running Windows 7 64 bit now) I haven't bothered to look for this!

BTW, I had some issues running FireFox on the Win7 64 bit version....specifically in the rendering of menus....so I've been using Safari as my primary browser now.

My desktop....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/desktop2.jpg

Tim Morton
01-31-2010, 9:16 PM
Tim - the mini icon on the properties windows is also a Firefox icon. Tried to copy it anyway but it was not an option. Must be part of that difference thing between Win 7 and Mac.

right it will be a firefox icon...and you only want to be able to select it on order to be able to paste something over it.

for example on this page in the upper left is the sawmill creek logo...right click that and "copy image"

then if you are able to go back to the properties wndow of the short cut and select that little little firefox icon...with it selected "paste" the sawmill creek logo ..this should change it from a firefox logo to a sawmill creek logo.

Jim Becker
01-31-2010, 9:22 PM
Checking this out, Win7 appears to utilize the icon for the application that is designated to open the file/shortcut by default.

Bryan Morgan
01-31-2010, 10:40 PM
?? You can change the icon to whatever you want. Right click -> properties -> change icon -> pic an icon there or Browse to another icon or even another program that you can steal the icon from (ico, dll, or exe files). Its the same as XP except XP would automatically load its default shell32.dll. You can open this same file yourself, it still exists in Windows 7. Its under windows\system32

Steve Schlumpf
02-01-2010, 12:04 AM
Thanks Jim.

The icons are for the default browser and changed over to that when I upgraded Firefox from 3.5 to 3.6. I figured I could just browse to find the system32 file for icons - as in XP - when in the properties section of the link - but can not find one in Win 7. Doesn't mean it is not there - just that I have not been able to locate it.

Tim - I tried the copy/paste idea but when it came time to paste the image - the option was not available.

Fred Belknap
02-02-2010, 10:40 AM
Thanks Jim.

The icons are for the default browser and changed over to that when I upgraded Firefox from 3.5 to 3.6. I figured I could just browse to find the system32 file for icons - as in XP - when in the properties section of the link - but can not find one in Win 7. Doesn't mean it is not there - just that I have not been able to locate it.

Tim - I tried the copy/paste idea but when it came time to paste the image - the option was not available.

Sometimes control+v will work when there isn't an option to paste.

Tim Morton
02-02-2010, 7:46 PM
Sometimes control+v will work when there isn't an option to paste.

true JIm...i neglegted to clarify that you can't ( in the mac world anyway) right click on that icon in properties to paste...but you can do it from the drop down window or hitting cmd-v

Jon Knauft
02-02-2010, 8:28 PM
Steve,

Try C:\Windows\system32\imageres.dll. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit.

-Jon

Scott Gibbons
02-02-2010, 8:42 PM
lol... silly windows....

You should be able to locate them here %SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll

or use any .ico file for the most part.

I run 64Bit windows 7 (only when I have to) and this worked fine for me.

Guy Germaine
02-03-2010, 8:30 AM
All you ever wanted to know about Windows 7:

http://www.sevenforums.com/