PDA

View Full Version : a few recent bowls

Sean Hughto
01-31-2010, 5:09 PM
I like the sharing that goes on here. It's like a club where we all bring show and tell of our latest efforts. Attached are three bowls I've made in the last couple weeks.

The first - around 9 x 3 is apple. The strange marking was the subject of an earlier thread. The concensus was that that's something that happens with apple. I like it!

The second - around 8.5 x 4 is pacific yew. I love the color of this wood and the tight growth rings. It does have some tight checks across the end grain, but they seem to be stable.

The third - around 11.5 x 4 is cherry. I did this one yesterday. The blank was slightly damp (cool to the touch and a bit heavy, not green). I'm drying it slowly in bags and keeping my fingers crossed. It seems stable and tight so far. I know it will oval a bit, but I'm cool with that.

All are finished with just oil and wax (BLO or walnut and bees or carnuba).

Comments and critques are welcome. I'm just working on curves mostly. Learning something everytime. Thanks for looking ... and sharing.

Baxter Smith
01-31-2010, 5:26 PM
Nice bowls Sean. I have tried a few "fancy bowls" but I don't think they are any prettier than a simple one. Just different. Like the shape of the apple and cherry best. They are as good as it gets!:) The yew seems to straighten out too much along the side to me. Thanks for posting!

Steve Schlumpf
01-31-2010, 5:35 PM
Very nice work on all your bowls! Nice - soft finish works well also!

David E Keller
01-31-2010, 5:57 PM
Beautiful form and finish. I like all three.

Robert McGowen
01-31-2010, 6:24 PM
I am having trouble deciding which one I like the best, but I think I am going to go with the apple........

Sean Hughto
01-31-2010, 6:30 PM
Thanks, all. You are good friends to be so encouraging.

And Robert, I kind of agree about the apple. Of the three it is the best technically as far as being thin yet strong (the rim is about twice as thick as the sides and bottom). Plus the grain worked out great, which had nothing to do with me, of course! The yew, owing to being a pine I guess, is pretty light too. The cherry I made more stout because I hope it gets use as a salad bowl and such, so I wanted it to be able to stand up to some abuse.

Tony De Masi
01-31-2010, 7:06 PM
Very nicely done Sean. I like them all but my favorite is the apple.

Tony

Curt Fuller
01-31-2010, 7:19 PM
All three bowls are just beautiful. Really nice forms and the woods are all nice.

Roland Martin
01-31-2010, 7:19 PM
Very nice bowls Sean. All three are great, I really like the way you tapered off the top edges. The apple is my favorite, in most part for the color & grain, and the form seems to be perfect.

Bernie Weishapl
01-31-2010, 7:25 PM
Great looking bowls Sean. Like Baxter said most times simple is good.

gary Zimmel
01-31-2010, 8:01 PM
Nice work the bowls Sean.
All look great to me, but the apple one is my favorite too.

John Keeton
01-31-2010, 8:01 PM
Sean, all three are very nice, but I am going to go away from the crowd here and say I like the yew best for color and grain - just a very nice, warm patina to it. The cherry is second for color and character. The apple is nice, but I like the others better.

Nice, clean and simple - good bowls!!

charlie knighton
01-31-2010, 8:43 PM
very nice...

Allen Neighbors
01-31-2010, 9:04 PM
I agree with all of 'em... except I don't like one above another. Great job!!

Dave Halter
01-31-2010, 9:19 PM
All 3 are very nice and since we're picking favorites I have to go with the Cherry - very beautiful wood.

Roger Bullock
01-31-2010, 10:26 PM
All nice looking, cherry is my favorite followed by the apple. I like the photo spread you used to show each bowl in sets of 3 photos. How do you do this, it really tells your story for each bowl?

Sean Hughto
02-01-2010, 9:37 AM
Thanks, all.

Roger, I just use photoshop to put three pictures into one jpeg. If you know photoshop at all, it's just a matter of increasing the canvas size, and then cutting and pasting cropped photos onto the canvas. You then merge teh visible layers, crop it up neat, resize, and save.

MIKE E BEE
02-01-2010, 9:58 AM
Realy nice work on all three bowls, Sean. If I had to pick a fav I would go with the apple bowl but all are fine pieces of work. Good stuff!

steven carter
02-01-2010, 11:11 AM
Sean,

Great looking bowls. I can't pick a favorite, as I like them all!

Steve

Michael Jasani
02-01-2010, 11:40 AM
All three are very appealing but if I have to choose I'd choose the cherry!

Brian Effinger
02-01-2010, 10:50 PM
They are all great looking bowls, but the cherry really catches my eye. I just love the grain of it.

And I really like your triptychs. :) That is a good idea.

Brian