PDA

View Full Version : Construction Adhesive?

Dave Novak
01-31-2010, 1:56 PM
Hey guys, I'm about to install a few corner shelves, and I'm considering various methods of attaching the shelf to the support that will take into account both wood movement and the fact that the shelf isn't 100% flush with the suppport. The pics below are the shelves and one of the supports. My initial thought was to simply screw them in from the bottom of the support, but I'm wondering, would a bead of some sort of construction adhesive work? Maybe even address future wood movement? Thanks!

Dave Novak
01-31-2010, 2:07 PM
I sopose my alternative is oversized holes through the support and screws through them into the shelf? Since there's a 1/16" gap or so at certain places between the support and the shelf, I would guess I'll need to be careful not to tighten them so much as to bend the shelf.

Lee Schierer
01-31-2010, 2:07 PM
Construction adhesive might work, but will be a pain to take them off later if you want to to re-paper or paint the walls. I'd use screws.

Dave Novak
01-31-2010, 2:09 PM
I assumed that would be the way to go, I just like the confidence I get when someone here agrees with my approach. Thanks Lee.

Glen Butler
01-31-2010, 3:00 PM
I also doesn't appear that they are large enough to warrant addressing wood movement issues. Screws get my vote also.