PDA

View Full Version : Assembly I-beams---how long?

Jay Yoder
01-31-2010, 11:17 AM
I am making a set of assembly ibeams to allow for more adequate clamping options and wondered how long i should make them. The table they will be on is 30 wide, but seledome would I need 30 inches...i was thinking of 24" long...any thoughts?

Frank Drew
01-31-2010, 11:29 AM
Two points: It's really impossible to know what kind of work you'll be doing in the future, so plan for maximum flexibility.

Additionally, if you guess wrong and eventually need something longer, make a new set.

Jay Yoder
01-31-2010, 11:32 AM
Excellent point Frank! They are simple and cheap. MDF makes a mess, so i would rather not have to make any more than needed! :)

Two points: It's really impossible to know what kind of work you'll be doing in the future, so plan for maximum flexibility.

Additionally, if you guess wrong and eventually need something longer, make a new set.

Sam Layton
01-31-2010, 3:20 PM
Jay, depends on what kind of work you want to do. I built mine 8' long to glue up stiles and rails, etc. Works great for me.

Sam

Glen Butler
01-31-2010, 3:27 PM
Jay, depends on what kind of work you want to do. I built mine 8' long to glue up stiles and rails, etc. Works great for me.

Sam

How does this help you glue up stiles and rails?

Sam Layton
01-31-2010, 3:41 PM
Glen, I have a lot of interior doors to build for my house. I laminate the stiles and rails for the doors. Using the I-beam allows me to laminate the stiles and rails flat.

Sam

Dan Forman
01-31-2010, 4:24 PM
This is interesting, I'd like to know more. I understand the rail and stile thing, in what other ways would these be useful? Thanks.

Dan