PDA

View Full Version : Wood shop storage addition

George Bregar
01-31-2010, 10:50 AM
I am near the end of the the process of converting a three car garage into a single purpose woodshop. Power is in, walls and ceiling in. All insulated. Removed the two car door. Hardwood floor is in. Anyone interested can check the step by step gallery here http://www.facebook.com/#/album.php?aid=4743&id=100000006072118

I really want to keep this a single purpose shop but then have the dilemma of having to store a garden tractor/trailer, brush cutter, garden tools, as well as store deck furniture in the winter. I think that a 8' x 12' "lean to" built off the back of the shop is a good solution, allowing the use of and existing wall and easy access to power (for a battery charger and light etc). Plus it would be fun to do :D

Here is the model and framing plan...maybe some of you carpenters or DIY pros can give me some critique. Thanks

John A langley
01-31-2010, 10:55 AM
Looks good to me. If you add it to the existing building do you need a permit - or could you build a stand alone without a permit?

George Bregar
01-31-2010, 11:04 AM
Looks good to me. If you add it to the existing building do you need a permit - or could you build a stand alone without a permit? Northern WI on a lake. We don't need no stinkin' permits! ;) Only new construction requires a permit. I didn't even need a permit or inspection when I wired the shop for new metered power.

Rather than footers and foundation I plan on just putting piers every four feet. The roof load will be carried to these piers via the 4x4's. Floor will be just crushed stone over a vapor barrier. Sill will be PT. Lean to rafters are 2x8. Had to learn about fly rafters but I think the plan is good.