PDA

View Full Version : Using Counter Top for table saw router extension

Terry Welty
01-31-2010, 10:03 AM
Is this doable? Lowes and Menards have 3/4" thick 4' sections of cabinet top material with faux granite laminate top material for around $24. I would have to cut off the back splash area. I am looking for a extension top to fit my granite topped Ridgid R4511. The formica material looks just like the granite on the table saw. I should have around 25" X 48" to work with once the back splash is removed. There is a bullnose edge running the 48" edge.

I would have to trim the 4' section down to fit between the rails and would probably reinforce the extension with MDF or plywood and would have to route out for the router plate.

As I see it, the piece is affordable, has a built in bullnose corner for the outside edge, matches the granite... I do have to make sure it's flat to the bullnose corner... will this work??

Jim O'Dell
01-31-2010, 10:20 AM
Probably so. But how deep is the table on that saw? Most TS tops are 27" deep. I'm thinking it will not match the depth of the saw.
But, if they make it on a preformed top, then the laminate is probably offered by itself. Then you could make a top using MDF instead of the particle/flake board, and it would be flatter and hold up better. I walked through HD the other day, and saw some preformed tops, and then saw some laminate that was the same. I'd go that direction personally. It's not hard to do. Just make sure there are no chips of wood that get on either surface before you press the laminate onto the MDF surface. DAMHIKT!!!! You can see for yourself in my shop thread when I built my router table. :p Jim.

Bob Vallaster
01-31-2010, 10:22 AM
I've done it both ways on two projects: rolled my own and bought a cast off kitchen counter section.
So long as the counter has enough material (after removing backsplash), it seems a co$t-effective and labor-saving way to go. That the laminate matches your top is a nice bonus.
As you remarked, reinforcement is probably a good idea.

BobV