PDA

View Full Version : Bowl #1, FINALLY!

Roland Martin
01-31-2010, 9:50 AM
After a few frustrating attempts, I decided to turn a bowl that a newbie ought to turn, basic. I was recently at the local Rockler and bought a figured maple blank that looked to have some decent figure & color. I bought a small blank in order to force me to keep my turning options in check. This is what I ended up with, though quite basic, I am humbly pleased. It is 5 1/2" x 1 1/2" with 3/16" walls. I apologize for the amuteur photography, but after all my failed attempts at turning a bowl, I just wanted to get some feedback. Please let me know what you think, where I went wrong or possibly right. I reallize there may be limited comments on such a basic bowl, but any feedback would be a help. Thanks for looking.

Ken Glass
01-31-2010, 9:54 AM
Roland,
I only wish my first would have been that good. Excellent bowl. A simple yet classic shape. The figure in the Maple is really great. Make sure you keep this one to see in a year how far you have come. Could have been you 30th bowl. Very nice work. Well Done!!

Bernie Weishapl
01-31-2010, 9:58 AM
Roland that is a great looking bowl out of a really pretty piece of wood. It really looks good and did a nice job. For me when I started the flat bottom bowl was hard. I had a heck of a time keeping the bevel rubbing but it looks like you did a good job on it. Keep at it. It takes lots of practice and I can't tell you how many bowls went into the neighbors firewood pile. I still have a couple on the bench that are beautiful funnels just as reminders to measure often.:D

William Bachtel
01-31-2010, 10:22 AM
Great piece of wood, selecting the right wood is key. I like the bowl, for your first bowl it is great. One thing I wood do is make the bottom smaller, less diameter, l/3 of the total diameter. One this bowl l/4 wood be great. This way you show more curl on the inside, and the bowl wood be more pleasing to look at. You are going to make a great bowlmaker.

Roland Martin
01-31-2010, 10:56 AM
Thanks a bunch Bernie. I must admit that I cheated as I was turning the bottom. I quickly found that I was on the verge of blowing this thing up with the gouge, am not anywhere comfortable enough with the skew yet, so I resorted to using a square-nosed scraper that I made from a cheap turning tool I had & slightly relieved the corners. Otherwise, I keep either digging or skating.

Frank Townend
01-31-2010, 11:09 AM
Very nicely done Roland! You showed great respect to that beautiful piece of wood.

Sean Hughto
01-31-2010, 11:31 AM
You're a natural. Great first bowl. Sweet wood, and nice shape.

I'm not too far ahead of you - maybe up to 20 bowls or so. If you make a smaller foot, you can make a nice inside curve all the way to the bottom. Something to try, though there is nothing wrong with flat bottoms, of course (also, I like scrapers too - and so does Raffan!). Lately I'm obsessed with the curves and the thicknesses - keeping everything simple. Plenty of variation there for me to work out yet. I'm continually amazed by how much a decent bowl versus a real keeper is sort of luck for me still - not just in the wonder of what is actually in the piece of wood, but sometimes, mistakes cause me to do things I wouldn't have thought to otherwise, that were better than I could have intended! It's a blast!

Steve Schlumpf
01-31-2010, 11:43 AM
Roland - very nice work! Love the wood and you did a good job on the finish as well!

Forms for bowls or anything else turning related is a matter of personal taste and the more you turn - the more that taste changes relative to your experience. This form works but is actually one of the harder bowl forms to turn because of the flat bottom.

As you progress through turning bowls - keep in mind continuous curves and proportions. I think you did quite well with your first bowl - heck of a lot better looking than mine! Have fun with it and play around a little with shape and see what you like.

Also, seeing as how you were having trouble with using your gouge (Never use a skew for a bowl), I was wondering if you belong to a turning club? Saves a lot of time in learning how to turn when someone can show you a few of the basics.

Have fun! Looking forward to seeing bowl #2!

Baxter Smith
01-31-2010, 12:21 PM
I like the wood and finish. As for shape, there may be more pleasing ones depending on your taste, but certainly no more functional. Looks very usable if you are so inclined!
Very good job.:)

Robert McGowen
01-31-2010, 12:25 PM
I must admit that I cheated as I was turning the bottom....... I resorted to using a square-nosed scraper.....

And that would be cheating how????? :cool:

It looks like you did a fine job. As mentioned, you could curve in the bottom a little more and consequently make the flat part of the bottom a little smaller, but overall it is a very pleasing shape. Very nice bowl.

Steve Mawson
01-31-2010, 12:28 PM
Roland,
Great piece of wood and you created a very nice bowl. Actually have not made a flat bottom bowl so you got me thinking. Have to second Steve on the skew and bowls, not a good idea-experience taught me many years ago. Using your scraper is just the ticket.

Chris Hayes
01-31-2010, 12:29 PM
Very nice first survivor. I've got a boatload of that figured maple from Rockler and have enjoyed the frustrations it gives me. I wouldn't count using the square scraper as cheating -- cheating would be having someone else turn it then taking credit for the work.

for those of us who're not that much more experienced, you're setting a high bar for first attempts...Good going.

David E Keller
01-31-2010, 12:32 PM
Great job on a great piece of wood. I agree with the others about proportions, but nothing wrong with it the way it is.

Steve mentioned that your tastes will change as you turn more and more... My problem is that my tastes change faster than my skills.:eek:

Dale Bright
01-31-2010, 12:32 PM
Roland, you did Great! Very nice for a first bowl and beautiful piece of wood.

Dale

Curt Fuller
01-31-2010, 12:56 PM
That's a very nice looking bowl, especially for a first. As to feed back, the only thing I can say is that it was a great idea to number the bottom. You'll be able to keep it as a reference to compare to as you turn more of them.

Roland Martin
01-31-2010, 1:42 PM
My brother aimed me at this forum when he saw I was interested in turning. What a brother he is!

I've learnt so much from being part of this forum already, and I've only been here a month +/-. You are all to thank, minus nobody, for taking part in offering advice, tutorials, personal and professional critiques, etc., etc.....

Steve, I haven't yet looked into a local turning club. Thanks for mentioning that, how can it get any better than that for a rookie.

To clear up the skew issue, I really did mean that I started using it in a scraping mode until I reallized a scraper is much easier to sharpen than a scraper.

Thank you "all" again for all the input, suggestions and insight you've posted.

Matt Ranum
01-31-2010, 2:30 PM
Yup nothin wrong with that bowl. Looks better than the first one I did.:D I did 4 of them now and would have done more but this pen turning thing sorta derailed me for a while.:p;)

John Keeton
01-31-2010, 3:01 PM
Roland, sorry to be late to the party! We have been out with my MIL on her 89th birthday!!

Very nice bowl, and a beautiful piece of maple. I don't have enough bowls behind me to comment other than to say you did a great job! Fun, ain't it!!:D

Tony De Masi
01-31-2010, 3:29 PM
Very nicely done Roland. The figure of the wood aside I really like that shape. As previously stated it's not very easy to make a bowl with a flat bottom like that. Intentional or not you did a very good job.

Tony

Thom Sturgill
01-31-2010, 3:37 PM
Roland, my first was the typical dog-dish - straight sided and flat bottomed. Yours is much better. As has been said, a club will help as you will get to show the actual piece and get comments and see others work and find a mentor for some one-on-one tutoring. Be sure to keep this where you can look back at it occasionally.

Dave Ogren
01-31-2010, 5:35 PM
Roland,

Great first bowl, but watch out this is very addictive. You will be shocked as you go along this slippery slope. Soon you will find out easier ways to do almost everything. Don't forget to put the type of wood on the bottom. Save this baby in a prominent place and all your friends will admire it and note your progress.

Good Luck and Happy Turning.

Dave

George Guadiane
01-31-2010, 7:42 PM
Very nice, in every respect. It could have been your 10th or 20th.

Roland Martin
01-31-2010, 8:16 PM
Thanks Tony. My intention was to make a flat bottom bowl so it could be functional. Having never attempted a flat bottom, I was surprised at how tough it is to achieve. For some reason, I was thinking a straight line has to be easier than a smooth curve. Oh well!

Allen Neighbors
01-31-2010, 8:46 PM
I like it! Flat bottom and all. Beautiful wood. Beautiful job. You ain't the only guy to reach for a scraper, either. :)
Well done!!