PDA

View Full Version : Cake Icing

Tom Ravenscroft
01-31-2010, 9:44 AM
:eek: My daughter likes baking and icing cakes. Is there anybody out there who has tried cutting shapes froms sheets of icing?

Regards

Tom

Frank Corker
01-31-2010, 9:57 AM
Tom, you might be our first, be prepared for caramelization seeping onto your laser, but we look forward to the result.

Joe Pelonio
01-31-2010, 10:05 AM
Actually yes, I have done it. Stick to dark colors of fondant because the edges do caramelize, and the thinner the better or the edges also get ragged. I actually spoke by email to Mary Alice from "Ace of Cakes" and they tried it but gave up and went back to hand cutting.

Engraving sugar cookies works a lot better.

Dan Hintz
01-31-2010, 4:04 PM
The SO and I both signed up for cake decorating classes to start in February... does that count? :) I learned the basics from my mom many moons ago, but the later courses get into fondant, gum paste, etc.

Dee Gallo
01-31-2010, 6:17 PM
It would be interesting to raster complex designs on the fondant and then use cookie cutters to cut the shapes. The carmelized effect would be neat. You could really make some wicked nice stuff that way!

Dan- that sounds like fun, hope you don't have a sweet tooth... it could be a problem if you have to eat cake every day!

cheers, dee

Dan Hintz
02-01-2010, 8:36 AM
Dee, it was one of those six of one, half dozen of the other types of decisions. I was interested in the courses, but didn't really think I could afford the time (and energy!). Amy had that pouty look on her face, so I caved. She believes she can make our wedding cake since the classes will be over a month or so before the wedding... I'm going to smile and nod on that one ;)

Dee Gallo
02-01-2010, 9:15 AM
Dan, you'll have to post a picture of this cake when you two are done making it! Of course you could spend a lot of time making keepsake embellishments, cake stand, cake topper, LEDs for each table, etc.....

:) dee

Scott Challoner
02-01-2010, 9:28 AM
At least it will smell better than acrylic. I agree with Dee. I bet you could raster some cool stuff on it. Like a photo.