PDA

View Full Version : Bowl 7

MIKE E BEE
01-31-2010, 9:36 AM
Hey Guys,

Turned this one off yesterday. This was from a solid piece of cherry. The bowl is as big around as i probably could do on my little benchtop at 9" and is 2" deep. I think this is my best work to date. It does have a hair line crack on the outer edge but I really have to look for it to find it so not really a big deal. The crack just happened to be in the wood so thats the way it goes. I love the rich grain of the cherry. When I put it next to all my other maple and oak bowls, the cherry just jumps out. Wow! Really nice to turn.

As far as the pixels thing goes, these were taken on 3M 2048 X 1536 which doesnt mean much to me but I think it is the highest setting I have on my phone. My other options are 2M 1600 x 1200, 1M 1280 x 960, 0.3M 640 x 480, W3M 2048 x 1232 or 400 x 240. I am not a photographer so some input here would be much appreciated???????

Thanks in advance for any commentary.

Bernie Weishapl
01-31-2010, 9:40 AM
Great looking cherry and a interesting form. Not to sure about the rim but thats what makes it fun to experiment. Keep'em coming.

Steve Schlumpf
01-31-2010, 11:54 AM
Mike - unique shape to this one! Interesting! I love to turn Cherry as it takes great detail and ages beautifully!

As far as the photo thing - supposedly the site's software resizes your photos to recommended size. I would pick the 1M 1280 x 960 size and let it go at that.

Question for you on sanding. Do you hand sand or use some other means of sanding? Reason I ask is it looks like sanding ridges inside of the bowl. Very minor but with the lighting just right you see them. Just curious.

Baxter Smith
01-31-2010, 12:13 PM
Interesting shape Mike. I like it. Catches your eye! Never turned any cherry but I have heard it is nice. Good job.

David E Keller
01-31-2010, 12:44 PM
Beautiful wood and an interesting form.

I agree with Steve that the little ridges distract from the piece a bit. For anybody out there who is not power sanding, do yourself a favor, and get going with power.

Thanks for posting.

John Keeton
01-31-2010, 3:28 PM
Very nice wood, Mike. I have done one piece from cherry, and it is a joy to turn.

Good advice on going with power sanding, BTW. I just bought the Neiko right angle drill, and ordered some disks, etc. from Vince - great setup, and really makes finishing so much more enjoyable. You should look into it. I think my total investment was about $90, and I have enough disks to do me awhile.

MIKE E BEE
01-31-2010, 5:16 PM
Hey guys,

Yes I have been hand sanding all my bowls to this point. I was going to ask about the lines. Sounds like great advice to get an angle drill. What size discs do you guys recomend? Also are you able to sand the inside of the bowl too? What grits? I have been hand sanding starting with 80 or 100 and working my way up to 600.

I am assuming if your are seeing the lines then my pics are better. I will try the setting Steve recomended next time and see how that looks.

Thanks for your help gents!!

John Keeton
01-31-2010, 7:53 PM
Mike, I got the 2" pad, it fits inside the smaller bowls better. Grits starting with 80 to 400. Probably could easily go to 600, but I chose not to at this point. May end up doing that, but 400 off a power sander seems to do very well.

Roland Martin
01-31-2010, 7:56 PM
Very interesting details on this one, a lot of things happening. Nice hunk of cherry. The forn is growing on me. Nice job Mike.

Sean Hughto
01-31-2010, 9:49 PM
It's a wild form. I reminds me of something I might see in pewter or silver for some reason. It certainly is original, and you can see how you're getting more assured with the tools.

MIKE E BEE
02-01-2010, 7:45 AM
Thanks John,

Looks like I have found what i will spend my allowance on this week.

MIKE E BEE
02-01-2010, 7:48 AM
Hey guys,

Thanks for all your comments. Seems with every post and every bowl I get more knowledge.

Thanks for taking the time.