PDA

View Full Version : First "Bowl Rough Out"

Donny Lawson
01-30-2010, 11:54 PM
This is a Maple bowl I roughed out this afternoon.After turning I sealed the endgrain with anchorseal and let it dry and put it in a paper bag,sealed it up and now just wait.This could be alot of fun.How long do I need to wait in order to be safe to re-turn and finish?Some say 6 months and some say 1 year. What's your opinion? How do you do yours? Is there a faster way to do this or do I just have to wait it out?
Donny

Bernie Weishapl
01-31-2010, 12:03 AM
If that is 1" it could be up to a year although I have had some that were anchorsealed be ready in about 5 to 7 months. I went on the big auction site and got a postal scale that went from a 1 oz to I think 55 lbs for I think around $20. I weighed them after achorsealing them. When they stop loosing weight they are pretty much ready to return. Also another thing I did notice was you could make your tenon smaller. The chuck has more holding power when the jaws are closer to being closed. Just something to look at. Bowl looks great. Keep'em coming.

Steve Schlumpf
01-31-2010, 12:53 AM
Donny - congrats on roughing out your first bowl! Looks pretty good! You didn't list any dimensions but the bowl looks plenty thick. Means it will take a little while to dry.

Some of us like to us the Denatured Alcohol method (DNA) to dry our rough outs but there are a number of different methods folks use. Should be able to locate a lot of info doing a search here.

Have fun turning! Roughing out green wood can be some of the best times on the lathe!

John Keeton
01-31-2010, 6:42 AM
Donny, that is some beautiful wood!! Isn't it amazing how much shavings come from one relatively small piece of wood. Kind of like planting a tree or setting a fence post. You look at the pile of dirt, and think - I can't get all that back in there!!!:eek:

Donny Lawson
01-31-2010, 9:32 PM
I think the bowl is about 7" wide 3 1/2" high.The rim is 3/4-7/8" thick.I put anchorseal on the end grain part and let that dry.I then put it in a paper bag and taped it shut.I was told to wait for about a year to finish.O'well, I guess I will have to make more so I will have plenty to do next year.I've made 2 more since this one.Next year I should have alot to show off.I will try to get some dried blanks to do a complete one soon.What would be a good moisture content to be considered "DRY"?
Donny

Roger Alexander
02-01-2010, 12:10 PM
Donny, I have not done this yet. But some guys will put it in a frezer to help them to dry out. So when the wife is not looking you can try that. Heck just tell her it is a wood stake.

David E Keller
02-01-2010, 3:49 PM
Pretty wood. It looks a little thick near the bottom, but that may just be the photos. I think low teens for a moisture content would be pretty dry, but the weight loss method Bernie mentioned seems like the most objective way to determine dryness.

The DNA method seems to be the most popular way to hasten drying... I've got the DNA, but it's too damn cold outside to turn anything right now.

Looking forward to the finished piece.

Baxter Smith
02-01-2010, 7:12 PM
Should make a good looking bowl with all that color. Do you know what kind of maple it was? Hope you have enough of it to keep you occupied till the first one is ready!

Donny Lawson
02-01-2010, 9:03 PM
Not sure which kind of maple but it is maple.I got this piece from work and the rest of the tree is still there.I'm going to ask if I can have it.,but I don't think that will be a problem.Which part is better for bowls?, the tree trunk part or the limbs of the tree?,as far as the bowl keeping their shape during the drying process?,or does it matter?This bowl came from a limb of the tree.
Donny

David E Keller
02-01-2010, 9:17 PM
I think trunk wood is generally more stable, but either will work. If you haven't watched Bill Grumbine's first bowl DVD, it would be worth your time. He discusses how to best get bowl blanks from round sections... basically, you want to balance the rings in the blank.

Steve Kubien
02-01-2010, 10:38 PM
I use both DNA and anchorseal and the method is the same...Go with Bernie's advice. Get a scale. When it stops losing weight, it's ready. With a sealed bowl like you've got, that could easily be 6 months or more. Depends on too many environmental factors to accurately guess.

Have fun
Steve