PDA

View Full Version : Epilog Summit "Position Error"

Allen Scott
01-30-2010, 8:56 PM
Hi,

I have an Epilog Summit that I use on occasion to engrave trophy plastic plates. Lately it has been skipping a little in the X axis and i have had to run it at 1200 DPI to get it to look good. Well tonight when using it, I came out to check on the current sheet of material and it had stopped in the middle of my work. There was an error on the screen that said "Position Error 5.1"

I have taken it apart a little and removed all the x bearings and cleaned them up real good. I have put everything back together and it is still not working. When I turn the laser on, it will home itself in the Y position (back) but it will not do anything in the X position (does not go to left). And I continue to get that error.

I removed the ribbon cable and other cables over on the left side and tried to blow them off, clean them, etc... But nothing seems to be doing the trick.

Does this seem like a bad motor or maybe that electrical board?? I really need to get this back up and running at least to finish a job Im doing. Can you please let me know your thoughts

Allen Scott
01-30-2010, 9:52 PM
a little update....

I think it may be the motor. When I turn the machine on, the Y axis engages and is "locked" into place. I cannot move the arm front to back. But in the X axis it is not locked, I can physically move the lens carriage. In fact, it kinda skips a little like its trying to move but its not.

Im no expert, but Im thinking its the motor. Does anyone know for sure? If so, does anyone know if Epilog still carries these?

Allen Scott
01-30-2010, 10:05 PM
Here is what the motor says:

Pittman
9236c231
30.3 VDC
512 CPR
03-04-97

I found this site and there does seem to be a Pitman 9236 Series motor, I wonder if it is the correct one?

http://www.ametektip.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=116%3Abrush-motors-pittman&catid=902%3Aproduct-specifications&lang=en

Mike Christen
01-31-2010, 2:34 AM
Hi Allen

I have a summit also never had that problem. I will check it tomorrow and see how mine acts, I have it set up for rotary now and I know I can move the x when its turned on, Y is locked up solid.

I need to check mine tomorrow but I think the motors have brushes. should see a couple plastic screw on the side of the motor case near the end. Remove the screws and see what they look like, they may be worn out.

I have called epilog tech support before and they still help and give advice on any issues I have. I have to give kudos to eplilog and their tech support people, great people always willing to help even on equipment thats 15 years old.

Mike Christen
01-31-2010, 12:55 PM
Hi Allen

I just checked mine and motors do not have brushes as i thought it did. The X axis also is not moveable during normal operation as it is with rotary attached.

Have you checked power to the motor, should tell you if its the motor or driver board. Not sure if you checked the driver board connection yet but that's worth a try also.

Let me know if there's anything i can do.

AL Ursich
01-31-2010, 1:42 PM
I am looking for a used Summit XP driver board if anyone has one to replace my early firmware version.

Watching to see and learn what the problem ends up being...

Good Luck,

AL

Allen Scott
01-31-2010, 3:49 PM
how would you suggest I check for power? Not sure what to do there?

Allen Scott
02-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Okay, just got off the phone with Tech Support and he agreed, its the motor. I have one coming to me next day tomorrow. Ill keep yall posted!

AL Ursich
02-01-2010, 12:28 PM
How much was the motor?

What did they have you do for troubleshooting?

Good Job finding the problem.

AL

Allen Scott
02-01-2010, 1:34 PM
I think it was $227.xx

Roy Brewer
02-02-2010, 1:25 AM
Okay, just got off the phone with Tech Support and he agreed, its the motor. Allen,

Not knowing what EpiTechs had you check, but to the best of my recollection, the Summit does not move in the X axis till it trips the limit switch in the Y Axis. What you describe *could* be a bent, broken or dead Y axis limit switch. If EpiTech did not already have you do this, before replacing motor, find the limit swich and give it a little *assist* to see if the X-axis engages & starts moving home at that point.

Allen Scott
02-02-2010, 9:05 AM
I do not think it's the limit switch. I pulled the carriage all the way to the front and turned the machine on. Before it even got halfway back home I manually pressed the Y switch and it immediately stopped and tried to home the X. I did this multiple times.

Allen Scott
02-03-2010, 10:39 AM
thought I would be giving an update this morning, but Epilog forgot to ship my part on Monday, so it didnt arrive yesterday. They said they would ship it for sure yesterday, so I should get it today

Allen Scott
02-03-2010, 6:59 PM
UPDATE......... IT WORKED!!! Not only did it work, it improved my machines performance considerably!!

Prior to this motor going out on me, I was thinking my bearings might have been shot. I have taken them off numerous times cleaning them and didnt see any issues with them. I even played around greasing, wd40, etc.. But nothing worked, my engraving quality has slipped quite a bit over the years.

In fact, to do a normal trophy plate engraving, I was running it at 600DPI or 1200DPI. An average 24x12 flexi brass plastic plate filled with engraving was taking me anywhere from 1 hour to 1.5 hours to finish (with vector cutting the boxes). I had to slow it down so much because if I ran it at a lower DPI or faster speed, it would skip around and give me horrible engraving. So I always thought bearings/belt tension.

Well, now I have only done one test piece, but I ran an entire 24x12 sheet at 300DPI and 80 speed and it looks GREAT!!!

I am honestly amazed at this machine. Its 13 years old and the ONLY thing I have ever replaced on it was this X motor and a X belt a few years ago. Im praying that the laser cartridge can stay in there 1 more year and Ill be buying a new machine next year..

Now the only bit of bad news I can think of.... all my old power/speed settings will need to be re-figured... :cool:

Mike Christen
02-03-2010, 10:52 PM
Hi Allen

Glad to hear your back up and running.

How does your summit vector cut radius and angles, mine cuts straight vectors no problem but as soon as it goes into a radius or angle it really does pretty poor, kind of stair steps.

Mike

Rob Bosworth
02-04-2010, 9:40 AM
All you need to do is sell the vector cutting as a "coined edge". Those Summits are famous for the coined edge vector cut. Great machines, they don't seem to break.

Allen Scott
02-04-2010, 12:17 PM
I know prior to the motor fix, i would get that "coined edge" on circles when I vector cut. But since the new motor, I havent tried it. Ill be anxious to give it a shot.

AL Ursich
02-04-2010, 1:37 PM
Allen,

Not knowing what EpiTechs had you check, but to the best of my recollection, the Summit does not move in the X axis till it trips the limit switch in the Y Axis. What you describe *could* be a bent, broken or dead Y axis limit switch. If EpiTech did not already have you do this, before replacing motor, find the limit switch and give it a little *assist* to see if the X-axis engages & starts moving home at that point.

Roy,

Thanks for that tip... I will keep that tucked away for my broke down day.... I have a profile running, I need to watch that initialize. Watch the initializing steps.

AL