PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman Model 351.217171 Lathe

James Combs
01-30-2010, 8:25 PM
A friend of mine has a Craftsman Model 351.21717 Lathe but no manual. He was looking for an outboard bowl turning attachment and he thought that he could mount another face plate outboard on the headstock. I did a little research for him to find a manual but could only come up with one for a model 351.217170. It appears to be very similar to his and it appears to have the flexibility of being able to rotate the normal face plate mounting to the aboard side of the lathe based on the assembly drawing. It does not say so in the manual but I can see no reason that it cant be turned. Does anyone have any experience with these two lathes and can the headstock(s) be rotated?:confused: He says he remembers four bolts holding on the 21717 headstock but the 217170 shows only one large bolt in the middle of a round mounting boss.

Thanks in advance for any help.

GLENN THOMAS
01-30-2010, 8:52 PM
Dont know if this is much help but judging from the ad the headstock on the 21717 does rotate.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00929848000P?keyword=lathe

GT

James Combs
01-30-2010, 9:16 PM
Thanks for input. I had found the add earlier and that is one of the reasons I think his head stock will rotate. Notice that Sears leaves the last digit off of the lathe number "Craftsman Bowl Turning Rest Kit for No. 21717". That tells me that that it should be for both the 217170 and the 217171. He is checking his lathe to verify.Thanks again for your response.

Roger Chandler
03-06-2010, 5:49 PM
A friend of mine has a Craftsman Model 351.21717 Lathe but no manual. He was looking for an outboard bowl turning attachment and he thought that he could mount another face plate outboard on the headstock. I did a little research for him to find a manual but could only come up with one for a model 351.217170. It appears to be very similar to his and it appears to have the flexibility of being able to rotate the normal face plate mounting to the aboard side of the lathe based on the assembly drawing. It does not say so in the manual but I can see no reason that it cant be turned. Does anyone have any experience with these two lathes and can the headstock(s) be rotated?:confused: He says he remembers four bolts holding on the 21717 headstock but the 217170 shows only one large bolt in the middle of a round mounting boss.

Thanks in advance for any help.

James,

I have this lathe, and mine broke a gear shaft, and I cannot get parts for it. I also have the outboard rest for it. I took it to a salvage yard 2 days ago, but asked the owner [a friend ] to see if he knew someone who could reproduce the broken shaft. If he can not get a new part machined, it was to go to scrap metal.

The motor is good and controller, and I was hoping to find a used one someone else had where the motor had gone out on it, and I was hoping to get parts to fix this one and donate it to a woodturners club for teaching youth.

If you will contact me, I will see if we cannot make the arrangements to let your friend have this one, if he is interested, and will pay the shipping,etc.
I live in Virginia.

Mike Minto
03-06-2010, 8:21 PM
sure you got the correct (almost irrational) number, there? kinda looks like pi :D.

James Combs
03-06-2010, 10:16 PM
I will forward him a link to this forum and see what he thinks.

James,

I have this lathe, and mine broke a gear shaft, and I cannot get parts for it. I also have the outboard rest for it. I took it to a salvage yard 2 days ago, but asked the owner [a friend ] to see if he knew someone who could reproduce the broken shaft. If he can not get a new part machined, it was to go to scrap metal.

The motor is good and controller, and I was hoping to find a used one someone else had where the motor had gone out on it, and I was hoping to get parts to fix this one and donate it to a woodturners club for teaching youth.

If you will contact me, I will see if we cannot make the arrangements to let your friend have this one, if he is interested, and will pay the shipping,etc.
I live in Virginia.

Roger Chandler
03-07-2010, 8:18 AM
I will forward him a link to this forum and see what he thinks.

james,

I replied to your private message, so I hope to hear from you soon.