PDA

View Full Version : Designer pens, LSU hurricane Gustav damaged live oak

Roger Bullock
01-30-2010, 8:05 PM
Just finished a couple of designer pens made from Live Oak that was rescued from the campus of LSU after Hurricane Gustav. More of a historical pen rather than a exotic wooded pen. C&C welcome.

Mike Minto
01-30-2010, 8:22 PM
Roger, the lighter colored wood is a nice change from most pens that I see (dark woods). It has a very stately, elegant presence - and the historical aspect only adds to it's class. Nice pens.

James Combs
01-30-2010, 9:04 PM
Great looking pens Roger. Just a quick question on your wood. You say "from Live Oak". I am relatively new to wood terminology and even newer to pen turning. Does Live Oak mean it is green or is that the name of an oak species?

Roger Bullock
01-30-2010, 9:22 PM
James Live Oak Trees are found in the south. The older ones have the long horizontal limbs that droop to the ground and often have Spanish moss hanging off of them. They are protected in most areas today. In some areas you have to get a special permit to cut or trim them even if it is located on your property. The campus of LSU is known for its streets lined with Live Oak trees that are as old or older than the campus itself.

James Combs
01-30-2010, 9:32 PM
Thanks for the info. I didn't really think anyone was making pens from uncured green wood.

David Hostetler
01-30-2010, 9:41 PM
That is some nice work, and a GREAT use of downed wood. I have been resawing Walnut and Red Oak from around Houston that was downed during Ike... I love seeing projects like this. Gives me ideas for putting my downed lumber to use...

John Keeton
01-30-2010, 10:03 PM
Roger, some nice pens, and some great history and a good story there, too! You were fortunate to be able to obtain some of the oak.

Bernie Weishapl
01-31-2010, 12:15 AM
Really nice pens. Thanks for sharing the story.