PDA

View Full Version : Angle Drill

Bruce Smith
01-30-2010, 5:06 PM
Does anyone have any information, perhaps a users report they would be willing to share on the following. Klingspors has a right angle drill much like the Sioux or Milwaukee on sale with three vilcro mandrels and 150 sanding discs. Any information appreciated, thanks in advance.

Allen Neighbors
01-30-2010, 6:12 PM
Bruce, I've never heard anyone's comments about it.
I have the Sioux... love it!
It might just be a good deal. Depends on how much or how hard you drive it.

Matt Newton
01-30-2010, 7:44 PM
I got the drill before the sale. It works well, but I don't have anything to compare it to. The trigger is comfortable. The only thing I wished it had is a keyless chuck.

Bernie Weishapl
01-30-2010, 7:56 PM
I bought the Harbour Freight angle drill with keyless chuck on sale for like $22. In fact bought 2 of them thinking if the first one went bad I would have the other one on hand. Been using it now for 2 yrs and still going.

Steven DeMars
01-30-2010, 8:33 PM
The Sioux and Milwaukee are one and the same. I have the Milwaukee . . .

It has served as a drill, a polisher & as a "Funnel Cake Mixer" in my concession stand . . .

Good unit . . . has held up very well . . .

Steve:)

Dolan Brown
01-30-2010, 9:01 PM
+1 on the HF drill. Works fine for me.

Jake Helmboldt
01-30-2010, 9:02 PM
The HF is bigger and heavier, albeit cheaper than the Klingspor model. Both are made in China.

Bruce Smith
01-30-2010, 9:22 PM
Thanks for the comments so far. Bernie, you make me feel bad $22.00 and I thought the klingspor was a bargain. I have been using a 18 volt Dewalt for the last three years and it seems to be getting heavier every day. I blow it out often and dismantle it once a year and do a thorough cleaning, it still works great but I know some day it will no doubt die. I have never owned any HF tooling so perhaps I will check them out. Thanks agin...

Bob Bergstrom
01-30-2010, 10:06 PM
I'm on my second Milaukee. The back bearing went on this one. Spent $5 on a new bearing and been working ok since. I think there is a stress placed on the back bearing by sanding with a 3" disc in the chuck. The drill was made to drill, not sand bowls. That said, I couldn't live without it to sand bowls. Using compressed air ends up costing more because it runs the compressor too much. The close quarter drills are quite versatile(rather than right angle ones). The older ones with the trigger switch allow more control. The new Milaukee has a rubber guard over the trigger and doesn't allow one to slip a finger under the trigger to keep the speed slow. The cheaper ones have the old style trigger.

Reed Gray
01-31-2010, 2:36 AM
I have 4 of the Sioux/Milwaukee angle drills. I go through bearings after about 450 or so bowls. Before I slowed down to half speed by putting a piece of 1/4 inch cork under the trigger, I would get about 350 bowls. I have also worn out the casings on at least 3 of them (plastic casing where it holds the bearings in), and had the brushes replaced on all of them as well. I had one of the 29.95 drills, and it didn't last a month (maybe 50 bowls) before the casing on it went out. The pneumatic drill I had kept the compressor running full time. Much cheaper to run the angle drills, and the electric cord is more flexible than the air hose.

robo hippy

Dave Ogren
01-31-2010, 5:53 PM
I have two (2) of them. The Souix/Milw. look alikes. One from Vince's and one from Klingspor. They are about dead ringers for the Souix/ Milw. I blow them out after each bowl with the air hose. I think that is all you can do for maintaining them. They are not 90 degree angle drills, but I think 55 degrees or ?? but perfect. I could not find a duplicate of this drill at Harbor Freight. There is something about the "not a 90 degree" angle that makes it perfect. At wood/tool shows they sell them for $39.95.
Good Luck

Dave

Darryl Hansen
01-31-2010, 6:19 PM
The Milwaukee and Souix are made by the same company (Milwaukee probably). The reason the rear bearings go out is because they are not packed in grease as are the front bearings. You can get a double sealed bearing from Boca Bearing or other bearing places for about $5.00 or less. The front and back bearing are the same size. Blowing them out before the noise starts is a good idea 'cause when the back bearing gets too hot that melts the case and then the drill is gone.

Scott Hackler
01-31-2010, 7:09 PM
I have the HF and I was sceptic to buy a power tool from them but the price was cheap... so.. I can tell you that mine works great and I have had no problems so far.

Richard Madison
01-31-2010, 8:25 PM
+2 of the HF drills, #2 still in original packaging after about 3 years. And/but rarely use #1 anymore, as a straight drill reaches 99% of what it needs to reach and has no right angle drive to wear out.

scott schmidt grasshopper
01-31-2010, 11:29 PM
I use the HF drills, with a keyed chuck as it was a smaller length, I bought the first one with a 1 yr warrenty and had it replaced once, bought a second one later ( as a spare ) and have had little problems with them. I did learn to run the drill alot when first buying it to see if there are problems in the drill, HF has a 30 day return policy if defective. I had to replace one drill due to defect in the first 30 days,, .
so, I like my HF and would get another if needed. ps tear it apart and grease, shim and tighten everything regularly..

Mark Levitski
02-02-2010, 5:15 PM
I turn a lot of bowls. I tried the old Milwaukee, the knock-offs, and air. Then tried the new Milwaukee. Have done many more bowls with it and no sign of failure. I opened it up to see what was different--a lot. Yes, the trigger ystem is a little different, but I think one could rig some kind of stop inside the case as a regulator. It is a bit heavier/bulky, but not overly so. And yes, the chuck key can cause a problem if you leave it plugged in while you change mandrels or bits and happen to hit the trigger. I deal with it so as to have a good electric bowl sander. My wife has also put a lot of time on this drill doing rotary sanding on her rustic, free-form furniture. Best we have used so far.

Marvin Hasenak
02-04-2010, 3:39 PM
I use the HF version, it has been going for about 3 years with no problems. I also use it as a regular drill.

Bob Bergstrom
02-04-2010, 3:57 PM
Thanks Mark. What did you find different in the build of the new Milwaukee from the old one. Do you think the rubber boot can be cut to allow a finger under the trigger without a big dust problem.

Jim Silva
02-04-2010, 5:03 PM
Been using the HF right angle drill for 2 years. No issues whatsoever. This is my 2nd HF right angle drill, replacing the one that somehow leaped from the roof onto the pavement.

I maintain it had become despondent and jumped.:rolleyes:

But other than not being gravity proof, a good tool for low dough.

Bruce Smith
02-04-2010, 7:43 PM
Thank you eyeryone for all the information, I certainly appreciate it...
Bruce

Mark Levitski
02-05-2010, 8:39 AM
Bob, sorry to take so long to reply. Biggest difference is how the gears and bearings are housed. Doesn't seem like the plastic case would be a factor anymore in its failure.

I'd have to open it up again to be specific, but I remember a post under the trigger plate that perhaps could recieve a washer or shim to be used as a limiter.

Mark

John King
02-05-2010, 6:10 PM
Matt - Beware the keyless chuck on angle drills. Several of the local guys tried keyless chuck and rejected it because it is fatter than the key chuck. The fat keyless chuck limited areas that could be reached with the sanding disk. - John