PDA

View Full Version : Grinder wheel out of round?

Wayne Hendrix
01-30-2010, 2:45 PM
I bought a new wheel from Woodcraft for my 6" grinder and when I mounted it I noticed that it is not round. This is my first grinder and first replacement wheel. Is out of round normal and I simply dress the wheel round or should I replace the wheel? It has a high spot that is about 1/16th high over about 1-1/2" of the circumference of the wheel.

John Keeton
01-30-2010, 3:31 PM
Wayne, I bought the slow speed grinder setup from Woodcraft, and both wheels were out of round. I just dressed them to round with the T shaped diamond dresser. I understand others favor the other types of dressers, but this one seems to work for me, and particularly for that purpose.

Wayne Hendrix
01-30-2010, 3:43 PM
Thanks John, I am headed to Woodcraft today to get a wheel dresser anyway but I wanted to make sure that I shouldnt return the wheel while I was there.

Steve Schlumpf
01-30-2010, 3:49 PM
Wayne - if you are going to the store - take the wheel with you and exchange it if you can find a better one. Chances are it is no big deal and just using a dresser on it would solve the problem - but as long as you are headed to the store anyway....

Make sure you get a good wheel dresser while there. You will use it a lot!

Wayne Hendrix
01-31-2010, 12:56 AM
Steve - Thanks and that was probably a good idea but I literally hit send on my reply and walked out the door. I got the T shaped 36 grit diamond dresser that Woodcraft has on sale for 10 bucks. It made short work of the out of round wheel when I got home.

Steve Schlumpf
01-31-2010, 1:00 AM
Hey - good news! Problem resolved! Next!

Jack Mincey
01-31-2010, 8:06 AM
Wayne,
Glad you got your wheel round. I just wanted to add something that you should do when dressing your grinder wheel since you are new to them. The dust coming off when dressing is not good for your future health. Wear a dust mask at the least and a respirator is even better. Clean up the dust as soon as you dress it so that it dosn't get into the air later.
Jack

Bernie Weishapl
01-31-2010, 9:43 AM
Glad you got it fix and ditto what Jack said.

Wayne Hendrix
01-31-2010, 11:48 PM
In the future when I dress the wheels I am going to set the hose of the shop vac to pull the dust as soon as it comes off the wheel.

David Hostetler
02-01-2010, 10:25 AM
Wayne,
Glad you got your wheel round. I just wanted to add something that you should do when dressing your grinder wheel since you are new to them. The dust coming off when dressing is not good for your future health. Wear a dust mask at the least and a respirator is even better. Clean up the dust as soon as you dress it so that it dosn't get into the air later.
Jack

Would it be safe to suck up the dust being produced by the DC? I think I know the answer to that, just wondering though...

The reason I ask is I just got new wheels (White aluminum oxide Norton's) and the 100 grit is out of round and REALLY makes my grinder vibrate... I need to get it round...

Don Geiger
02-02-2010, 8:46 AM
Search: Geiger's Wheel Truing and Dressing Solution

It corrects the cause: "out of round wheels" quickly and easily.

Don

David Hostetler
02-02-2010, 12:34 PM
Search: Geiger's Wheel Truing and Dressing Solution

It corrects the cause: "out of round wheels" quickly and easily.

Don

$87.95 (FL residents add $5.94 tax) + $10.00 shipping

:eek:

Looks good, but too rich for my budget...