PDA

View Full Version : Delta 22-580 or DW 735

Rick Garner
01-30-2010, 1:37 PM
I have a really good problem.
I have owned a 22-580 for about 3 years now and have been really happy with it, but I just picked up a new DW735 at a great price.
So which one do I keep and which one goes to SMC Classifieds?
My 22-580 has performed flawlessly and I have 2 or 3 extra sets of blades on hand, so I'm good to go for a while.
I've read and heard good things about the 735...and it's new.
I would need to purchase the extension tables and a spare set of blades (~$100).
I like the lower profile of the 735 and that I could upgrade to a Byrd head if I ever get a job again.
On the down side, I've read that the 735 is louder than the 22-580 which wouldn't affect me with hearing protection, but with my shop in my 3rd car garage, the neighbors are always on my mind.
So, I guess I'm looking for some feedback to help with my decision.
Thanks
Rick

Paul Ryan
01-30-2010, 1:49 PM
Personally, I would sell the DW 735 make a few bucks. Keep using the Delta and watch craigslist. I just got a powermatic 15 off craigslist for $425. It is a whole different class of machine compared to the bench tops. I have a ridgid R4330 that is a real nice machine and does a heck of a job. But it doesn't hold a candle to the big one. It gets to be a slow and tedious job planing rough lumber with a bench top. With a big machine you can take off twice the material per pass, and it is much quieter too.

Bruce Page
01-30-2010, 1:54 PM
I agree with Paul. I upgraded to a PM15 mainly because of the noise factor.

If you want to stick to a bench top and the Delta has done a good job, I'd sell the DW.

Rick Garner
01-31-2010, 1:42 AM
I've been looking on CL for over a year for a PM15 without any luck whatsoever.
Seems the only ones that show up are $1500.
Plus, my shop is in a third car garage, approx 14'x25'.
While I've been perfectly happy with my 22-580, I thought the 735 might be a mini-upgrade while I wait for the PM to appear.
I agree that a lot of time gets absorbed planing, especially since I do take small amounts with each pass.
I guess I'm just trying to determine if there's any real benefit to keeping the DW over a well functioning 22-580.
Thanks for the responses.

scott spencer
01-31-2010, 5:01 AM
Any planer is going to be really loud....a little louder isn't going to make much difference. I'd go with the DW735 and would just be conscientious of the time of day.

Joe Mioux
01-31-2010, 6:33 AM
I loved the way my old 22=580 planed, but I couldn't stand the noise so I upgraded a few years ago to a j/p combo.

Personally, I don't think you would go wrong keeping either one and selling the other. You know how well the Delta works. (side note: the delta actually gives as good if not a better cut than my j/p minimax)

With that said, I am glad I have what I have now because of the noise of the Delta.

joe

Jeremy Killingbeck
01-31-2010, 11:17 AM
I love my DW 735 planer. I agree that it is not the same as a large floor model PM, but I do not have room for the larger planer right now. My shop is in a 19'x22' 2 car garage. I made a multi purpose cart for my DW735 that provides storage, out feed table, & extra work space. It is the same height as my table saw so I use it as an out feed table when working with larger materials. I like how I can fit the planer on the lower shelf of the cart & still plane up to 6" material. All I have to do is pull the cart out & hook up the dust collection.