PDA

View Full Version : Lee Valley Plane advise

Alan Tolchinsky
10-22-2004, 2:01 PM
Hi All, I'm looking at the Lee Valley block planes and wondered which one to get. What's the difference between the 1) low angle plane, 2)standard plane and the 3) apron plane. Right now I have an old Stanley block plane that is pretty good but I'd like to upgrade. How do you choose between these three planes? Anybody have one who likes it? Have a good weekend everybody. Thanks Alan in Md.

Donnie Raines
10-22-2004, 2:15 PM
The iron of the low angle plane is bedded at a lower angle which makes it more "user friendly" on end grain or figured woods. It is also very good on edge grain. The standard angle is nice, but not as flexable as the low angle. The apron plane is a smaller version of the standard angle blcok plane.

My vote is the low angle....if that means any thing.

Jack Truschel
10-22-2004, 3:05 PM
I have the LV low-angle block plane and am completely satisfied with the way it performs. Some minor tune-up work and your ready to go. Enjoy.

Jack T.

Alan Tolchinsky
10-22-2004, 6:18 PM
The iron of the low angle plane is bedded at a lower angle which makes it more "user friendly" on end grain or figured woods. It is also very good on edge grain. The standard angle is nice, but not as flexable as the low angle. The apron plane is a smaller version of the standard angle blcok plane.

My vote is the low angle....if that means any thing.

Thanks Donnie, Are there any disadvantages of the lower angle?

Greg Mann
10-22-2004, 11:48 PM
Alan,

Since you already have the Stanley, I would recommend the low angle to complement what you already have. In other words, you can add to your options instead of just slightly improving what you can already do. FWIW, I bought the low angle rabbet block plane. Gives me the standard LABP functions and I can shave tenons, shoulders, and such as well because of the rabbet feature. My cheezy old C-man standard angle block plane is used once in a while when the low angle isn't appropriate. When I got the rabbet block plane I thought I would never use the old one again. Not the case.

Greg

Alan Tolchinsky
10-23-2004, 11:38 PM
Greg, That's a great idea. You get two tools in one with the plane. Thanks Alan

Greg Mann
10-24-2004, 12:40 AM
Greg, That's a great idea. You get two tools in one with the plane. Thanks Alan
Anytime, Alan. When it comes to advice, my wife always says I'm full of it.:D:D

Greg

Tom LaRussa
10-24-2004, 9:52 PM
Hi All, I'm looking at the Lee Valley block planes and wondered which one to get. What's the difference between the 1) low angle plane, 2)standard plane and the 3) apron plane. Right now I have an old Stanley block plane that is pretty good but I'd like to upgrade. How do you choose between these three planes? Anybody have one who likes it? Have a good weekend everybody. Thanks Alan in Md.
Alan,

Just for general info, here is a link to Bob Smalser's post on the various types of planes and what they're used for.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=12551

HTH,

:)

Tom

Alan Tolchinsky
10-25-2004, 12:51 AM
Tom, Thanks so much for the link. Interesting reading as with all of Bob's posts. Alan in Md.

Matthew Dworman
10-25-2004, 9:49 AM
Thanks Donnie, Are there any disadvantages of the lower angle?
The low angle is designed to better cut endgrain NOT figured wood. The more figured the wood, generaly the higher angle you will need to prevent tearout. With a low angle plane, however, you can hone a secondary bevel to increase your efective cutting angle. So in this regard, a low angle plane can be more useful if you get a second blade and hone a steeper angle on it.
I have both the LV and the Lie-Nielsen (stanley rendition) LA Block planes, and I much prefer the Lie-Nielsen. I find the LV to be a bit clunky for my taste and needs. For this reason I purchased the "Ball and Tail" attachments, and now primarily use it as a "Mini Bench plane" http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/woodworking/planes/05p2205s1.jpg

Gene Collison
10-25-2004, 11:12 AM
I have both the LV and the Lie-Nielsen (stanley rendition) LA Block planes, and I much prefer the Lie-Nielsen. I find the LV to be a bit clunky for my taste and needs. For this reason I purchased the "Ball and Tail" attachments, and now primarily use it as a "Mini Bench plane" http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/woodworking/planes/05p2205s1.jpg[/QUOTE]

I have the Lie-Nielsen LA and the LV high angle block plane and would have to agree with you. The LV block is a very good plane but a bit larger than the LN, I use mine as a small smooth plane most of the time also. It's a matter of preference though, they are both great products.

Gene

Donnie Raines
10-25-2004, 11:33 AM
The low angle is designed to better cut endgrain NOT figured wood. The more figured the wood, generaly the higher angle you will need to prevent tearout. With a low angle plane, however, you can hone a secondary bevel to increase your efective cutting angle. So in this regard, a low angle plane can be more useful if you get a second blade and hone a steeper angle on it.
I have both the LV and the Lie-Nielsen (stanley rendition) LA Block planes, and I much prefer the Lie-Nielsen. I find the LV to be a bit clunky for my taste and needs. For this reason I purchased the "Ball and Tail" attachments, and now primarily use it as a "Mini Bench plane" http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/woodworking/planes/05p2205s1.jpg
Matt,

On paper I would agree with that statement. However, it has been my experience(haveing also spoke with Mr. Lie-Nielsen about this) that low angle beddings can also be very helpful on figured lumber. It is an odd occurence, frankly, I have found that when the York pitch doesnt work, the low angle does...it depends on how severe the grain angle is into the blade. No real way of telling either until you try....and when the low angle does not work..the York pitch will.