PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0563 Oscillating Edge Sander

Jeff Nolan
01-30-2010, 12:54 PM
I sold my Powermatic 31A combo sander recently, which opened up some floor space for the machine I should have bought years ago... an oscillating edge sander. I've downsized the number of machines I use but an edge sander has been on my wishlist for a very long time.

Space dictated I could only go with the 89" version but I definitely wanted the oscillating feature. I considered an 80" machine but if you read the spec sheets you will notice that they really are not that much shorter in overall package and when you go down to an 80" you really lose a lot of working surface area. After shopping around I settled on the Grizzly G0563 model, which not only has the basics I was looking for but good dust collection (2 ports) and a neat spindle attachment that rides on the idler drum.

Grizzly shipped it beginning of the week and Fedex Freight delivered it to my door yesterday. It was crated up nicely and one thing I appreciated is that the way they crate meant I could inspect the machine while still on the truck to ensure that there was no damage.

I uncrated it, did a quick clean up and set it up per the instructions, which were good enough to be useful, not quite clear on a couple of details that I figured out on my own.

The machine is solid, really solid, and operates very smoothly in spite of the oscillating action. I'd prefer to get more travel on the belt (.75") but that would mean the machine would be far more expensive. Dust collection works well, about as well as can be expected for a sanding machine, and I like how the table adjusts on in-out and up-down.

The storage cabinet is nice and big, and the fit/finish on the machine itself is very nice. From a maintenance standpoint things look straightforward, they say the bearings are sealed and permanently lubricated but there are enough zerk grease fittings to tell me I have to grease up the machine with some regularity. Also, the manual recommends changing the gear box oil at some point, but that looks easy enough given the access.

The power switch is off the side but I like the fact that there is a nice big red emergency stop button on the top of the belt housing right in front of the operator. The motor is 2hp but that doesn't mean much these days so all I can say is that I ran some big wide pieces up against it and put my shoulder into it and the machine didn't miss a beat.

A couple of things I don't like so much are the fact that in spite of coming with a nice 10' power cord, it's 14 AWG... which is adequate for a 15 amp circuit but I expect on a machine like this I would expect a nice high quality 12 AWG power cord. Secondly, the height adjustment on the spindle table (which itself is nice and beefy) would greatly benefit from a rack-and-pinion design even if adding $50 to the price of the machine.

This is the first Grizzly machine I have owned and I'm pleased to say that in spite of the low price relative to competitive offerings, this is a nicely engineered and well built machine. Time will be the ultimate test of how well built it is, but from what I can see right now I think it will hold up well.

Bruce Page
01-30-2010, 1:39 PM
Jeff, congratulations on the new machine. I have wanted an oscillating edge sander for years and if I had the room, I’d have one. I looked at the new Delta OES a couple of years ago but it seemed like they were having a lot if problems with it. The G0563 looks like a nice machine, I like the emergency kill switch on top, nice touch.

BTW, we like pictures…;)

Jeff Nolan
01-30-2010, 2:19 PM
BTW, we like pictures…;)

Grizzly has a bunch of them on their website, I can guarantee you ain't getting anything extra with a pic taken in my shop :)

Ed Hazel
01-30-2010, 3:20 PM
Thanks for the run down Jeff.

I have been looking at these units for awhile and think I will be purchasing either the G0563 or the G0564 this summer.

How about a picture of the storage cabinet? Dos it have a shelf in it?

Bruce Page
01-30-2010, 4:02 PM
Grizzly has a bunch of them on their website, I can guarantee you ain't getting anything extra with a pic taken in my shop :)

Oh, but you miss the point. ;)

Jeffrey Makiel
01-30-2010, 4:19 PM
Nice review Jeff.

I wish these were around when I bought my non-oscillating 89" sander 20+ years ago. If you wanted oscillating edge sander back then, Vega was the likely option but the Vega machines were not priced for the home hobbyist.

As far as the power cord being only 14 ga, I'm no expert, but that's probably more than adequate because the conductors are likely stranded copper and the cord has a different insulation when compared to wall wiring like 14 ga NM with solid copper conductors. I believe the NEC fully describes this but it's been years since I've looked at it when I had the same concern.

Anyway, enjoy your new machine!

-Jeff :)

glenn bradley
01-30-2010, 5:14 PM

Now Jeff has totally missed the point ;). We are picture junkies. I wasn't when I got here but after a few years the disease just developes. We'll even look at pictures of your garage door :D.

Congrats on the sander. Like Bruce I have been jonesing for one ever since I picked up the little Ridgid OS/Belt. It is actually one the best $200 I've ever spent because I realized that I don't want a large OSC and I surely would have spent the money on one; it was so close. I now know, have got to have that belt :).

Van Huskey
01-30-2010, 6:29 PM
Oh, but you miss the point. ;)

No picture...it didn't happen. :p

Peter M. Spirito
12-25-2014, 6:13 PM
I have some Christmas money to spend and am looking at this sander.

One question: How does the oscillating work? Does the entire assembly go up and down, or, like other brands, does the idler roller twist back and forth with the belt only sliding up and down.

I hope I explained that clearly.

Mark Woodmark
12-29-2014, 10:03 PM
I purchased a Grizzly OES a few years ago and sold my combo disk/ belt sander. I love the OES, but wish I would have kept the combo sander